VAT or no VAT?
Thread poster: Patrick Vanderlinden
RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:11
German to English
Confusion? May 19, 2017

I'm just wondering whether there is some confusion in some of the answers to the original question, which is whether the UK customer of a Belgian service provider has to pay VAT on the Belgian-source invoice if the UK customer cannot produce an EU VAT ID (the rules on these VAT IDs and their composition differ from country to country, by the way).

The answer is: Yes.

No VAT ID = UK Customer pays VAT in exactly the same way that the UK customer has to pay VAT on invoice
... See more
I'm just wondering whether there is some confusion in some of the answers to the original question, which is whether the UK customer of a Belgian service provider has to pay VAT on the Belgian-source invoice if the UK customer cannot produce an EU VAT ID (the rules on these VAT IDs and their composition differ from country to country, by the way).

No VAT ID = UK Customer pays VAT in exactly the same way that the UK customer has to pay VAT on invoices issued by UK businesses.
Collapse

Patrick Vanderlinden
Patrick Vanderlinden  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 00:11
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conclusion May 19, 2017

RobinB wrote:

No VAT ID = UK Customer pays VAT in exactly the same way that the UK customer has to pay VAT on invoices issued by UK businesses.

Thank you all for your contribution.
I think RobinB's answer is the perfect summary. As a side note I think it's an understatement to say that 'some government rules could be clearer'.
I have put the exact same question, in writing, before HMRC. If and when I get an answer, I will add it to this post as closure.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT or no VAT?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »