Help with Japanese characters in file names in Windows.
Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 15, 2016

Hi all!
I'm an Italian translator, translating in EN>IT. I don't speak Japanese, but I'm working on some English documents that have been created by a Japanese company. These are graphic files (illustrator) that have links to the images embedded inside. When I open the documents I have to re-link the images because the program doesn't find them automatically. Unfortunately for me, the file names are in Japanese. Illustrator recognizes the characters and shows them correctly (for example �
... See more
Hi all!
I'm an Italian translator, translating in EN>IT. I don't speak Japanese, but I'm working on some English documents that have been created by a Japanese company. These are graphic files (illustrator) that have links to the images embedded inside. When I open the documents I have to re-link the images because the program doesn't find them automatically. Unfortunately for me, the file names are in Japanese. Illustrator recognizes the characters and shows them correctly (for example 会社案), windows on the other hand transforms the characters into names like âTâCâ}âïâ`âF.

Does anyone know how I can force windows to show the correct characters? I can't read them but I could copy the names...
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:37
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Tricky Dec 15, 2016

Serena Marangoni wrote:
When I open the documents I have to re-link the images because the program doesn't find them automatically. Unfortunately for me, the file names are in Japanese. Illustrator recognizes the characters and shows them correctly (for example 会社案), windows on the other hand transforms the characters into names like âTâCâ}âïâ`âF. Does anyone know how I can force windows to show the correct characters? I can't read them but I could copy the names...

Might not be easy. First, add Japanese as a language under Control Panel --> Clock, Language and Region --> Add a language.

Then click on Advanced settings in the Language dialog box, then Apply language settings to the welcome screen, then in the dialog box that pops up, click on Language for non-Unicode programs and change this to Japanese. Reboot, and see if it has helped. It might, it might not.

Dan

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:37
English to Thai
+ ...
Japanese environment of PC Jun 14, 2017

Serena Marangoni wrote:

Hi all!
I'm an Italian translator, translating in EN>IT. I don't speak Japanese, but I'm working on some English documents that have been created by a Japanese company. These are graphic files (illustrator) that have links to the images embedded inside. When I open the documents I have to re-link the images because the program doesn't find them automatically. Unfortunately for me, the file names are in Japanese. Illustrator recognizes the characters and shows them correctly (for example 会社案), windows on the other hand transforms the characters into names like âTâCâ}âïâ`âF.

Does anyone know how I can force windows to show the correct characters? I can't read them but I could copy the names...

I received a number of Japanese file names through various software. But I resist to change my English version of Windows to Japanese version since I work with many language.
In Windows 10, you can freely change the Windows environment to Japanese etc. Here all Japanese file names are maintained.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro
Bangkok, Thailand

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Japanese characters in file names in Windows.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »