About text content in tags, should it be translated?
Thread poster: yakky
yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 14, 2014

I have some xml files to be translated. But I am not familiar with this kind of translation, so I am wondering whether I should translate those text contents in tag itself. for example, the xml file looks like (I have changed " < " to "(" and " > " to ")", in order to show it correctly.):

-(item textY="0" textX="0" backgroundColor="0xFFFFFF" file="" Headline="Drive")
-(item Headline="Function" URL_SWF="akka_funktion.swf")
-(text)
(![CDATA[(font face="Arial, Helve
... See more
I have some xml files to be translated. But I am not familiar with this kind of translation, so I am wondering whether I should translate those text contents in tag itself. for example, the xml file looks like (I have changed " < " to "(" and " > " to ")", in order to show it correctly.):

-(item textY="0" textX="0" backgroundColor="0xFFFFFF" file="" Headline="Drive")
-(item Headline="Function" URL_SWF="akka_funktion.swf")
-(text)
(![CDATA[(font face="Arial, Helvetica" color="#000000" size="12")(b)Swivel drive(/b)(br)Operation(/font)]])
(/text) (/item)

Should the words "Drive" and "Function" be translated?
Thanks a lot in advance!

[修改时间: 2014-05-14 12:52 GMT]
Collapse

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:31
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
example May 14, 2014

Your example seems to be inacurrate (perhaps because Proz reads " < " and " > " as part of the code on its own, so it is possible some content is not shown in your post), so I will post a different one:

[string name="sample_string"]Hello world.[/string]

- "[" and "]" is replaced with " < " and " > " in the real file. Here, you should translate only "Hello world."

yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am talking about a different case May 14, 2014

Tomas Mosler, MITI wrote:

Your example seems to be inacurrate (perhaps because Proz reads " < " and " > " as part of the code on its own, so it is possible some content is not shown in your post), so I will post a different one:

[string name="sample_string"]Hello world.[/string]

- "[" and "]" is replaced with " < " and " > " in the real file. Here, you should translate only "Hello world."

Thank you, Tomas. However, because my example is not displayed correctly, I think we are not talking the same thing.
"Hello world" is between those tags, but not in them. I want to know whether I should translate those text "in" a tag. In particular, should the "Drive" and "Function" in my example be translated and why?

[修改时间: 2014-05-14 11:58 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Ask the customer May 14, 2014

Different attributes are used for different purposes. Some for text display, some for DOM modification or as node selectors etc. The right thing to do is to ask the customer.

yakky
yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Then how? May 14, 2014

Joakim Braun wrote:

Different attributes are used for different purposes. Some for text display, some for DOM modification or as node selectors etc. The right thing to do is to ask the customer.

Thanks!
I am using Trados Studio 2011 and I find these kind of words are totally ignored by Studio as they are embedded in tags. I can not find them in the editor of Studio. So if they need to be translated, in many cases as you said, why Studio just does not extract this part of text? I have to use a text editor to find and translate them. That is quite troublesome and easy to make mistakes.
So do you know any efficient methods to do this work?

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
DTD May 14, 2014

Hello Yakky,

I think the author of these XML files should provide you with a DTD defining the document structure.

You can then use this DTD to create a custom XML filter in Studio.

Lorenzo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About text content in tags, should it be translated?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »