Anyone here using the beta premium Google Translate API?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 20, 2016

Hello everyone

Is anyone here using the beta "premium" Google Translate API yet? What are your impressions so far? Do you need a separate API key or is it simply integrated into your current API key? And have you been able to get it to work with your CAT tool(s) yet?

I applied for it but I'm not sure if freelancers qualify.

Samuel

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Premium edition Nov 21, 2016

Looks like the pricing point for the Premium Edition is different than the standard API and is only on a case by case basis. So basically you have to apply for it.

https://cloud.google.com/translate/docs/premium

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll answer my own questions Dec 14, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
Do you need a separate API key or is it simply integrated into your current API key?

Same API.

And have you been able to get it to work with your CAT tool(s) yet?

In order to make it work, your CAT tool must allow you to change the URL used to query Google Translate, and your CAT tool must read the JSON reply smartly. So far, we know that Trados 2015/17 can't use the Premium service.

I applied for it but I'm not sure if freelancers qualify.

We do. Well, some of us do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone here using the beta premium Google Translate API?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »