Thread poster: Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Local time: 19:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2015

The subject pretty much sums it up. I know I can have memoQ base my progress on how many words a document has and what percentage of it I've translated, but is there a way to see how many WORDS I've yet to translate?

I'm using memoQ 2014 R2.

Thank you for your help.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:33
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If you know the percentage translated... Jun 25, 2015

When you look at the file list in your project, select the desired file. At the bottom of the screen MemoQ shows the total words in the document, and then the percentage translated (TR:xx%). You can select multiple files and then the total wordcount and overall completion percentage will show up.
If you know the wordcount and the % completed, it's easy to figure out how many words you still need to translate, no?

Mariano Saab
Mariano Saab
Argentina
Local time: 19:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jun 25, 2015

Thanks. Yes it is easy and I can do the math but I was asking if I can see the exact number of words left instead of a percentage.

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:33
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Or you may become a psychic :0 Jun 25, 2015

If seriously, this build doesn't offer such a feature. Hopefully, they at Kilgray will improve it soon.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:33
French to English
Statistics Jun 25, 2015

I'm using an ancient version of memoQ and the "statistics" function does exactly that, and more besides. Presumably it's still to be found somewhere in more modern versions....

(If it isn't, that's another reason to stick with what I know!)

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:33
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I use a Word doc. Jun 25, 2015

I don't work with CAT tools but I always create a Word doc. especially for this reason. As I finish each paragraph, section or whatever, I just delete the corresponding fragment in the second document I created, eventually ending up with a blank page

I find it really useful for planning my time.

Kathryn Britton
Kathryn Britton
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Statistics....where to find them Jun 25, 2015

Open your project, go into the Documents page (
in the navigation bar at the top), click on statistics. A window opens, in the top left choose active document or project and then click on 'calculate" in the top right corner ...easy peasy..

Waleson Lopes
Ursula Emmanouilidou

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
The question is Jun 26, 2015

Kathryn Britton wrote:
and then click on 'calculate" in the top right corner ...easy peasy..

How to display it at the bottom of the current window in which you are translating becuase the only option is to switch it between % and number of segments which are 'emptly'.
I do use Statistics but in case you use a project for ongoing translations with the same TM and dbase, where you delete ready files and import new ones, using this calculation method results in a long list of analysis data which you have to delete or it will be endless...

[Edited at 2015-06-26 04:36 GMT]

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Agree. Jul 15, 2015

Radian Yazynin wrote:

Kathryn Britton wrote:
and then click on 'calculate" in the top right corner ...easy peasy..

How to display it at the bottom of the current window in which you are translating becuase the only option is to switch it between % and number of segments which are 'emptly'.
I do use Statistics but in case you use a project for ongoing translations with the same TM and dbase, where you delete ready files and import new ones, using this calculation method results in a long list of analysis data which you have to delete or it will be endless...

[Edited at 2015-06-26 04:36 GMT]

Why it can't have the same options as Trados, I do not know. %age is close to useless.

Elisa Martinez-Aznar

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Let Word count them Jul 15, 2015

A little similar to Helena (I don't use MemoQ):
1. Have a Word document containing the source text to be translated
2. Go to the relevant point in the document (I.e. if you type something, that's where it will happen)
3. Press Ctrl + Shift + End to select the text between that point and the end of the document
4. Use the word-count function to count the words in the selected text. In Word2000 it's the Word count function in the Tools menu. If no text is selected, the word
... See more
A little similar to Helena (I don't use MemoQ):
1. Have a Word document containing the source text to be translated
2. Go to the relevant point in the document (I.e. if you type something, that's where it will happen)
3. Press Ctrl + Shift + End to select the text between that point and the end of the document
4. Use the word-count function to count the words in the selected text. In Word2000 it's the Word count function in the Tools menu. If no text is selected, the word count function counts the words in the whole document.
5. Or. press Ctrl + Shift + Home instead to select between that point and the start, to see how many words you've translated.
(6. Something similar is, I suppose, possible in other word processors.)

Oliver

[Edited at 2015-07-15 15:13 GMT]
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Any improvement in Adriatic? Apr 19, 2017

This issue is one of my pet peeves with memoQ and one of the reasons why I much prefer Trados. However, a lot of my clients have recently switched to memoQ or are planning on doing so, so I'm trying to give memoQ more of a chance.

Is there any improvement regarding statistics in the latest version, "Adriatic"? Is there finally an option to show live wordcount statistics in the status bar while translating?

As others have said above, of course I can calculate the wordcou
... See more
This issue is one of my pet peeves with memoQ and one of the reasons why I much prefer Trados. However, a lot of my clients have recently switched to memoQ or are planning on doing so, so I'm trying to give memoQ more of a chance.

Is there any improvement regarding statistics in the latest version, "Adriatic"? Is there finally an option to show live wordcount statistics in the status bar while translating?

As others have said above, of course I can calculate the wordcount from the percentages. Or I could have a Word file open and delete the parts I have already translated. But both options are cumbersome and cost time. The word option also doesn't work if you often translate files with lots of repetitions spread randomly throughout the entire file.

In Trados, I can see at a glance how many words are untranslated, anytime. In memoQ it costs me a minute or more to run the Statistics task, which is extremely annoying.

I'm flabbergasted why such an essential and seemingly basic feature isn't included from the start.
Collapse

Elzbieta Lubelska
Elisa Martinez-Aznar

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Are you there to translate or count? Apr 20, 2017

Excuse me guys, but I cannot understand what is the problem. Unlike Trados, with memoQ you can calculate statistics even "From cursor" to the end. Or select a portion of segments and calculate that selection. It takes seconds. Do you really need to know the satistics after each 15 seconds? Are you there to translate or to count?
I use both programs. Well, yes, Trados shows untranslated words. But in Trados terminology, "untraslated" means "unconfirmed". A 99% fuzzy match segment may contai
... See more
Excuse me guys, but I cannot understand what is the problem. Unlike Trados, with memoQ you can calculate statistics even "From cursor" to the end. Or select a portion of segments and calculate that selection. It takes seconds. Do you really need to know the satistics after each 15 seconds? Are you there to translate or to count?
I use both programs. Well, yes, Trados shows untranslated words. But in Trados terminology, "untraslated" means "unconfirmed". A 99% fuzzy match segment may contain a number of words, all of which are "untranslated". For example, if you have 20 words in a 99% fuzzy match segment, you will see all 20 words as "untranslated", even if you need to change just 1 word. So why do need you such confusing statistics at all?

With memoQ, I just launch the Statistics option, select "From cursor" and that is it! Once done, I see the real situation including all repetitions and different level fuzzy matches.

Even if you add and remove files within the same project (the way I always do), no problem at all. You can calculate the selected files you need within a project, or even selected segements within a file you need, or even more, selected segments within a number of selected files you need.

Just remeber: "untranslated" = "unconfirmed" (in Trados).
It says nothing about the real state of things.

[Edited at 2017-04-20 23:52 GMT]
Collapse

Curri Barcelo Avila
Curri Barcelo Avila  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not the best option, plus it's not working for review May 15, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

Excuse me guys, but I cannot understand what is the problem.

[Edited at 2017-04-20 23:52 GMT]

The problem (at least for me) is that I don't want to have to click a tab, then click a button, then select "from cursor", then having to wait for the thing to calculate the statistics (if the file has 100k, it can take many seconds of doing nothing but staring at a progress bar) every time I want to know if I have done 1000 words more or not. Whereas, in Studio, you can see this at a glance. You can even see the number moving with the corner of your eye every time you confirm a segment.

I still prefer memoQ, but not being able to see the progress at a glance and straight away is pretty annoying.

They have done so many versions after 2014 and yet I don't understand why they haven't added this. And same goes for review. If I am reviewing a 50k file, I want to know if I am right on schedule or I need to rush a bit more to do my daily target or I can rest for a bit. And, nope, the statistics option does nothing when the file has already been translated and you work as a reviewer. *sighs*

PS: If anyone has tried the very latest versions of memoQ and can tell me if they have finally added this feature, I would very much appreciate it.

Waleson Lopes
halit yilmaz
Farzad Akmali
Juan Ramón Acedo
Elzbieta Lubelska
Elisa Martinez-Aznar
Huong Nguyen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to view how many words I've yet to translate in a given document

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »