Thread poster: AmauryDoare
AmauryDoare
AmauryDoare
France
Local time: 17:54
English to French
Jun 11, 2017

Hello,

My question is very simple, but I couldn't find an answer.

When working on a document slice, i.e a part of a document, how do I filter so that I only see the segments that I have to translate? They appear gray, but are not locked. So filtering locked segments does not help.

I usually use sort by row status etc., and here the view is polluted by segments assigned to other translators so this does not help much, and it is hard to keep work of my progre
... See more
Hello,

My question is very simple, but I couldn't find an answer.

When working on a document slice, i.e a part of a document, how do I filter so that I only see the segments that I have to translate? They appear gray, but are not locked. So filtering locked segments does not help.

I usually use sort by row status etc., and here the view is polluted by segments assigned to other translators so this does not help much, and it is hard to keep work of my progress.

Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:54
Danish to English
+ ...
Lock Jun 11, 2017

Can you lock the segments you don't need, then filter for "not locked"?

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 17:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Create a view Jun 12, 2017

If you are working on a document slice, the easiest solution is to create a view that contains only the range of segments assigned to you.

For instance, if you have to translate from segments 2000 to 4000, you should do the following:

1. At the Documents list, select the file.
2. Right-click and select Create view.
3. Enter a name at the Name of the view field.
4. Click Split document.
5. Enter 2000 at the First row field and 4000 at the Last row
... See more
If you are working on a document slice, the easiest solution is to create a view that contains only the range of segments assigned to you.

For instance, if you have to translate from segments 2000 to 4000, you should do the following:

1. At the Documents list, select the file.
2. Right-click and select Create view.
3. Enter a name at the Name of the view field.
4. Click Split document.
5. Enter 2000 at the First row field and 4000 at the Last row field.
6. Click OK.

The view will appear at the Views tab. Just double-click it to open the file and work on your part.
Collapse

gninolps (X)
gninolps (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Far from optimal solution Oct 3, 2017

I'm working on a very large file and with many slices, of which I have about 6 separate blocks of slices (for example, 1 to 2000, then 4001 to 6000 etc).

As R2, I want to run a spell check, but only on my slices. Do I really have to create 6+ views for that?

[Edited at 2017-10-03 06:58 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:54
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Lock and filter Oct 3, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Can you lock the segments you don't need, then filter for "not locked"?

This is the simplest solution, IMO.

[Edited at 2017-10-03 13:36 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:54
Danish to English
+ ...
Spellcheck Oct 3, 2017

Maybe it's better to export the translation as plain text or bilingual and run a native spellcheck in Word. You could simply delete the sections that don't concern you in the exported file, as this is just a work file. In bilingual format, you need to select the target column to prevent the spellchecker from meandering into the source and comment columns and wasting your time looking for errors there. You need to make any corrections in the MemoQ document.

The thing is that even if
... See more
Maybe it's better to export the translation as plain text or bilingual and run a native spellcheck in Word. You could simply delete the sections that don't concern you in the exported file, as this is just a work file. In bilingual format, you need to select the target column to prevent the spellchecker from meandering into the source and comment columns and wasting your time looking for errors there. You need to make any corrections in the MemoQ document.

The thing is that even if you have set MemoQ to use Word's spellchecker, Word's native spellchecker finds more errors than the apparently boiled-down version accessed from MemoQ. I have seen this in practice.
Collapse

gninolps (X)
gninolps (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not everyone is PM Oct 3, 2017

In server-based projects, if I'm not PM, I won't be able to lock rows. I won't be able to export and import files back either.

This is one of memoQ's major issues -- not to mention slices assigned to other people are considered "unlocked" for jumping and spell checking purposes (not for running QA, though). I'm not sure why, since I'm not able to edit editor what was assigned to another R2 anyway...

But as of now, unless you have PM rights, the only way of doing it that
... See more
In server-based projects, if I'm not PM, I won't be able to lock rows. I won't be able to export and import files back either.

This is one of memoQ's major issues -- not to mention slices assigned to other people are considered "unlocked" for jumping and spell checking purposes (not for running QA, though). I'm not sure why, since I'm not able to edit editor what was assigned to another R2 anyway...

But as of now, unless you have PM rights, the only way of doing it that I know of is with views.

EDIT: There IS a better way if you're working on a server. Filter > Conflicts and changes > Last changed... > User name, then enter your own username (assuming you've confirmed everything already). That's a relief!

[Edited at 2017-10-03 20:06 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Filter MemoQ document slice

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »