Spreadsheet (Excel) - Write translation in different column
Thread poster: Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:12
English to Italian
Aug 2, 2017

Any news about this? I Googled for it, even found an old thread from more than 4 years ago here, but never a real 'solution'. Copying the source column where you want the translation before importing the file is what I've been doing myself, but it's not really feasible when you're dealing with a lot of individual files. I haven't installed Adriat... See more
Any news about this? I Googled for it, even found an old thread from more than 4 years ago here, but never a real 'solution'. Copying the source column where you want the translation before importing the file is what I've been doing myself, but it's not really feasible when you're dealing with a lot of individual files. I haven't installed Adriatic yet, so I don't know if they finally added this functionality. Or maybe I just missed it and it's hidden somewhere...

At any rate, it seems quite weird that this option is not there, along with the import filters for spreadsheet-type files that let you select specific ranges and specify offsets for other values (such as comments, for instance). IMHO something like that (e.g. write translation to cell XY+1/X+1Y or column+1/row+1, etc.) would be very useful. Plus, Studio does have a similar option (for the "Bilingual Excel" and "CSV" file types)...
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:12
English to Russian
It's been there for years Aug 2, 2017

This option is available from 2013 as a minimum. And until now it works much better with memoQ. Unlike Trados that processes only simple structure with one worksheet, memoQ can process multiple worksheets even when you have different column letters for source and target in different worksheets.
Import with options > Select 'Multilingual delim
... See more
This option is available from 2013 as a minimum. And until now it works much better with memoQ. Unlike Trados that processes only simple structure with one worksheet, memoQ can process multiple worksheets even when you have different column letters for source and target in different worksheets.
Import with options > Select 'Multilingual delimited text files'
http://kb.memoq.com/article/AA-00447/0/Using-the-Multilingual-filter-for-terminology-translation.html
The above article describes CSV, but actually it supports xlsx too.
If you need to mark different columns for source and target in different worksheets, memoQ counts such worksheets as 1, 2, 3, 4 ... etc. from left to right regardless of their actual names.

Another major inconvenience with T. is that you have to make it understand what type of Excel you want to translate (either normal or bilingual). Otherwise it cannot recognize the format automatically. Even when you manually select Bilingual Excel when browsing for the file, T. always recognizes it as regular Excel. You have to either disable other Excel modes or move the Bilingual Excel up so that it is above the others.
memoQ is much more user-friendly in this regard.

[Edited at 2017-08-03 10:54 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:12
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, thanks a lot Stepan! Aug 2, 2017

So I had really just missed it! At any rate, thank you very much Stepan, you just saved me quite a bit of fiddling around.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spreadsheet (Excel) - Write translation in different column

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »