1000 Word documents > 1 PDF
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 21:41
Feb 19, 2017

What's your solution to collate 1000 Word documents (docx) to 1 PDF?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Some machine time... Feb 19, 2017

1) Batch print to PDF using ANY PDF printer diver (lots of free drivers).
Select batches of files in the Explorer. Click right mouse button, and select Print -- then, select the PDF printer driver (hint: OR set this driver as Default Printer before you start).

2) Merging PDFs into ONE HUGE file using Icecream PDF Split and Merge (free and fast).

It will require some time, the computer may look like halted, but it will do the trick.

[Редактировал
... See more
1) Batch print to PDF using ANY PDF printer diver (lots of free drivers).
Select batches of files in the Explorer. Click right mouse button, and select Print -- then, select the PDF printer driver (hint: OR set this driver as Default Printer before you start).

2) Merging PDFs into ONE HUGE file using Icecream PDF Split and Merge (free and fast).

It will require some time, the computer may look like halted, but it will do the trick.

[Редактировалось 2017-02-19 19:01 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-02-19 19:02 GMT]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Two other solutions Feb 19, 2017

1) There are various utilities such as Merge-Split, some paid, some free, that would enable you to combine all the doc files into a single file first, and THEN convert this to PDF using one of the many free or paid utilities likewise available (I use Nitro PDF)

2) Some DOC > PDF converters actually already let you combine ALL the DOCs in one folder into a single PDF — not sure WHICH ones do this, but it should be easy enough to find out...

I don't know if either of t
... See more
1) There are various utilities such as Merge-Split, some paid, some free, that would enable you to combine all the doc files into a single file first, and THEN convert this to PDF using one of the many free or paid utilities likewise available (I use Nitro PDF)

2) Some DOC > PDF converters actually already let you combine ALL the DOCs in one folder into a single PDF — not sure WHICH ones do this, but it should be easy enough to find out...

I don't know if either of these will be prevented from working simply because of the sheer size of your project! Is there any limit to how many pages the PDF format will allow you to have? Don't know...
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
limits issue Feb 19, 2017

Tony M wrote:
1) There are various utilities such as Merge-Split, some paid, some free
2) Some DOC > PDF converters actually already let you combine ALL the DOCs in one folder

It's good, but 1000 files is really some amount. No free tool will handle it in one move.

[Редактировалось 2017-02-19 22:45 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 03:41
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A Folder Action. Or two Feb 20, 2017

In Automator, create a Folder Action, and drop the folder with the Word files on it.

This should work for a "normal" number of Word files, but 1,000 of them is quite a lot, so it's probably a good idea to use two Folder Actions, one for each action.

Cheers,

Hans

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Combining Word docs might be problematic Feb 20, 2017

Tony M wrote:

There are various utilities such as Merge-Split, some paid, some free, that would enable you to combine all the doc files into a single file first

How do these tools cope with different, inconsistent or contradictory styles, templates, and document settings? And different Word versions?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Abbyy? Feb 20, 2017

Abbyy PDF Convertor might do the trick. I think you have to pay for it (I did) but maybe there's a trial version. If you hit limits when merging files into a PDF, then start another PDF. You can merge PDFs as well so it would just mean adding a step. I find it's quite happy to churn away in the background. Mind you, 1,000 is a pretty staggering number!

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Can it be done easily within MS Word? Feb 20, 2017

It looks very easy to do within MS Word (http://www.wikihow.com/Merge-Documents-in-Microsoft-Word - you want Method 2 = scroll down or search "combining two").Then you just have to use MS Word to save the resulting file as a PDF.

I have no idea if that can really handle 1000 files, but it seems worth a try.

And Rolf's point seems very important: Unless al
... See more
It looks very easy to do within MS Word (http://www.wikihow.com/Merge-Documents-in-Microsoft-Word - you want Method 2 = scroll down or search "combining two").Then you just have to use MS Word to save the resulting file as a PDF.

I have no idea if that can really handle 1000 files, but it seems worth a try.

And Rolf's point seems very important: Unless all of the files are standardized to begin with or you standardize them, your big PDF is likely to become mega-jumbo-gigantic.
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Missing in action Feb 20, 2017

Meta Arkadia wrote:

In Automator, create a Folder Action, and drop the folder with the Word files on it.

This should work for a "normal" number of Word files, but 1,000 of them is quite a lot, so it's probably a good idea to use two Folder Actions, one for each action.

Cheers,

Hans

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_mac/the-action-convert-format-of-word-documents-could/d5b56a9a-d227-4f74-b3df-8f97377c6273

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
FreePDF: free & PDF! Feb 20, 2017

Thanks for all suggestions. I've evaluated quite some suggestions (both on Windows and Mac) and finally opted for this relatively simple solution:

I've tested this workflow with 1280 small Word documents (.docx), each containing one line.

First I installed FreePDF from: http://freepdfxp.de/index_en.html

Then I installed this macro from the web in Word:

... See more
Thanks for all suggestions. I've evaluated quite some suggestions (both on Windows and Mac) and finally opted for this relatively simple solution:

I've tested this workflow with 1280 small Word documents (.docx), each containing one line.

First I installed FreePDF from: http://freepdfxp.de/index_en.html

Then I installed this macro from the web in Word:

Sub ConvertWordsToPdfs()

Dim directory As String
directory = "C:\Werk" ' The starting directory

Dim fso, newFile, folder, files
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set folder = fso.GetFolder(directory)
Set files = folder.files

For Each file In files

Dim newName As String
newName = Replace(file.Path, ".docx", ".pdf")

Documents.Open FileName:=file.Path, _
ConfirmConversions:=False, ReadOnly:=False, AddToRecentFiles:=False, _
PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, _
WritePasswordDocument:="", WritePasswordTemplate:="", Format:= _
wdOpenFormatAuto, XMLTransform:=""

ActiveDocument.ExportAsFixedFormat OutputFileName:=newName, _
ExportFormat:=wdExportFormatPDF, OpenAfterExport:=False, OptimizeFor:= _
wdExportOptimizeForPrint, Range:=wdExportAllDocument, From:=1, To:=1, _
Item:=wdExportDocumentContent, IncludeDocProps:=True, KeepIRM:=True, _
CreateBookmarks:=wdExportCreateNoBookmarks, DocStructureTags:=True, _
BitmapMissingFonts:=True, UseISO19005_1:=False

ActiveDocument.Close

Next

End Sub

The macro created 1280 PDFs from the 1280 Word documents in c:\werk.

Finally I started FreePDF and joined the 1280 PDFs to one large PDF. Note that you can change the order PDFs in the FreePDF file list.

Part 1, the saving of 1280 PDF files: https://youtu.be/yG8ZYzDPgc8
Part 2, the joining of 1280 PDF files in one PDF: https://youtu.be/TpUfV6Anvlo

Note that on Mac you can use Preview to merge PDFs. No further software is needed. Just open the first PDF and display its thumbnail at the left-hand side. Then, drag the other files onto this thumbnail and save the pdf. Simple as that.
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
BatchOutput DOC for Microsoft Word Aug 10, 2017

Today I came across BatchOutput DOC for Microsoft Word (http://zevrix.com/BatchOutputOffice.php ), I've received an evaluation copy and will report my findings here.

[Edited at 2017-08-10 19:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1000 Word documents > 1 PDF

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »