Copying new text (changes tracked) in an edited MS Word doc, for pasting into new document
Thread poster: Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:09
German to English
Jun 19, 2017

Hi folks,

I'm using MS Word 2013.
I have a German file, which is an updated version of a previous file. It contains new text scattered throughout the document. This is marked with the track changes function, and there's deletions in there too.

Instead of selecting, copying and pasting each individual piece of new text ....

... I want to select and copy all the new text within the updated document, and paste this into a new document, so that I can see
... See more
Hi folks,

I'm using MS Word 2013.
I have a German file, which is an updated version of a previous file. It contains new text scattered throughout the document. This is marked with the track changes function, and there's deletions in there too.

Instead of selecting, copying and pasting each individual piece of new text ....

... I want to select and copy all the new text within the updated document, and paste this into a new document, so that I can see how much text there is and have a file that I can then translate in my translation software.

Is that function possible in Word? I know there are various criteria for selecting text, but not sure about new text
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Conor Jun 20, 2017

Conor Murphy wrote:
I want to select and copy all the new text within the updated document, and paste this into a new document...

Do I understand correctly that you want to have a copy of the file in which all non-tracked text (or all non-inserted text) is removed, so that only tracked text (or only inserted text) remains? MS Word can't tell where a sentence begins or ends, so this would only be useful to you if all the insertions are full sentences and are not in mid-sentence. Are you sure that applies to your document?

I have seen macros that one might be able to change to do what you want to do, but these only work on short documents. The longer the document, the longer the macro takes to execute, and it may take several minutes during which you're not sure if the program froze or not (because the screen does not update during that time). They are here and here.

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:09
German to English
Use the Word compare function Jun 20, 2017

Like Samuel I use a macro, that I wrote myself, to extract all tracked changes to a new document. How you deal with that document depends on what you actually intend to do.

Another way that you might like to try is the Word function to compare files, that can output the changes to a new document. There are two separate methods, one to just compare the two documents and the other is to combine the documents showing the differences. Using the select similar function on the tracked cha
... See more
Like Samuel I use a macro, that I wrote myself, to extract all tracked changes to a new document. How you deal with that document depends on what you actually intend to do.

Another way that you might like to try is the Word function to compare files, that can output the changes to a new document. There are two separate methods, one to just compare the two documents and the other is to combine the documents showing the differences. Using the select similar function on the tracked changes text will allow you to copy just the changes and you could then insert them into a new document.

It is also possible to deal with tracked changes in SDL Studio, if you have it.

Ben
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying new text (changes tracked) in an edited MS Word doc, for pasting into new document

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »