A scam website using my details. Is there a way to stop them?
Thread poster: Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 20, 2017

I received an unnerving email today from a site I've never heard of, let alone registered with.

Hello, Alexandra Schneeuhr
Your account at *our scam website* is activated
Your account info:
Username: *my real email goes here*
Password: *some weird letter combination goes here*
We recommend you to change your password and keep it in a reliable place.

I hit DELETE button as it was obviously a not very clever and way too push
... See more
I received an unnerving email today from a site I've never heard of, let alone registered with.

Your account at *our scam website* is activated
Your account info:
Username: *my real email goes here*
Password: *some weird letter combination goes here*
We recommend you to change your password and keep it in a reliable place.

I hit DELETE button as it was obviously a not very clever and way too pushy a scam, only to receive the next email in a matter of minutes:

Your services are published on *our scam website*. Now clients can see your ad in search results and place interpretation services orders.
As soon as the order is made, you’ll receive email with order details. SMS notice will come to your mobile phone in the daytime from 8.00 to 21.00. Even if the order is made at night, SMS notice will be delivered in the morning at 8.00.
You will be able to see all new, current and already executed orders in the section «Orders» of your account.
Don't forget to update your calendar regularly, make changes in due time. It is important for information in a calendar with time available for orders to be actual.
You can find detailed description of your account sections in the section «Help» of your acccount.

Best regards,
team

I am truly angry and disgusted with the above. A quick check shows that the site is a high risk (Netherlands-based but most probably of Russian origin, with UK phone numbers and Cyprus registered address). Are there any sure steps I can take to make them remove my details both from this dubious website and from their databases?

P.S. The site primarily targets interpreters, and I am not even offering this kind of a service!

[Edited at 2017-04-20 09:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-20 09:44 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Report them to Spamcop Apr 20, 2017

You can easily report them to Spamcop if they are sending out spam emails on your behalf. Go to Spamcop's website to learn how to do it.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:52
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How very unpleasant Apr 20, 2017

Alexandra Schneeuhr wrote:
I hit DELETE button

Just to confirm, you never replied to the email, not even to "unsuscribe"?

I imagine if they've got your real email address then they sent it straight to you, not via ProZ.com etc? Do you know if they are present on ProZ.com, either with a profile or with a BB record? If they have any presence at all here then staff may be interested in receiving the email with its headers etc with a view to checking and maybe removing this user (or they may not - I don't really know). Or maybe

Your services are published on *our scam website*.

Have you checked that claim? I wouldn't advise you to click on the link (you probably know that's potentially dangerous), but you could type in the URL and check it out. Are you really there? It must be against all sorts of laws, particularly if they've published your email address there. Fortunately, that wouldn't be a very bright thing for them to do, as you and your supposed queue of new clients could cut them out of the loop, so hopefully you won't have that worry. The problem is always finding out who to complain to (hence your posting in the first place! )

I've had problems with unwanted emails in the past, and with being listed on websites without my permission, but it's always been from spammers and bottom-feeders - not people you'd want to do business with but not outright illegal scammers either. That sort generally react well to being told that you're quite prepared to take legal action. I doubt that these ones would be at all bothered.

Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:52
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 21, 2017

Thank you, Tomas and Sheila!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A scam website using my details. Is there a way to stop them?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »