Studio 2017 in Trial mode keeps crashing
Thread poster: Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jul 21, 2017

Hello everybody,

I finally decided to give Studio 2017 a try but first I let it run in Trial mode, for a week now. I didn't have any problems on the first day, which I spent re-indexing my TMs. Then, on the second day, I "uplifted" my memories which took (more than) a couple of hours, due to TM size. At some point, Studio decided to run a preview of something, while doing the uplift in the background (I was using the dedicated plugin) and when I cancelled it, it froze and said it co
... See more
Hello everybody,

I finally decided to give Studio 2017 a try but first I let it run in Trial mode, for a week now. I didn't have any problems on the first day, which I spent re-indexing my TMs. Then, on the second day, I "uplifted" my memories which took (more than) a couple of hours, due to TM size. At some point, Studio decided to run a preview of something, while doing the uplift in the background (I was using the dedicated plugin) and when I cancelled it, it froze and said it could not initialise the Translation Memories view (I was actually working it the plugin's view). Meanwhile, the uplifting continued, I could see this in Windows Explorer, where the files increased in size and the operational .journal file closed at last. So I killed the process, otherwise it was not possible to close the programme.

I don't know if this first "disorder" did something to Studio, but then, every day but one, it keeps crashing, sometimes once, sometimes several times a day. It doesn't happen when I type, only if I do something else: confirming a segment; applying a translation result (Ctrl+T); applying a filter; moving from one segment to another. Most often, I receive the usual Windows message that the programme has stopped working. Only once it just closed without any warning.

Here is an example of the error reported by Windows:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SDLTradosStudio.exe
Application Version: 14.0.5889.5
Application Timestamp: 5900c697
Fault Module Name: StackHash_ed2b
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23807
Fault Module Timestamp: 5915f8e8
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000ce8fb
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1026
Additional Information 1: ed2b
Additional Information 2: ed2b805f92d5dcb378bed9689758e3eb
Additional Information 3: d42e
Additional Information 4: d42e45ce86e0739ff510908f2c46faf4

I did a repair, but to no avail.

I own a Freelance licence for a Studio 2017 upgrade and now I'm wondering if I should activate it once the trial expires, fearing this problem will persist. I don't want to lose my Studio 2015 licence if I need to reinstall/change the computer, in a situation like this.

Has anyone experienced this with the trial version? I know it's a Pro version, and with the Freelance one I might not have these issues, but who knows? What would you advise? I haven't checked on the SDL Community forum as I feel completely lost there.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 in Trial mode keeps crashing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »