Thread poster: John Fossey
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
ABBYY PDF Transformer 2.0 is NOT fully automatic Nov 18, 2016

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

I have been using ABBYY PDF Transformer 2.0 for years.

This tool is just "Scan&Read" button of the bigger product -- FineReader. It is fully automatic and it is not always smart, or course.

Get the full version of FineReader. Manual segmentation is much better, especially with tables and rich formatting: you can change options and methods and see the result on the fly.

It's like with kids — worth doing yourself.

[Редактировалось 2016-11-18 20:39 GMT]

Sergei, I think what you had in mind when writing this comment was version 3.0 or Plus of this tool. In fact, ABBYY PDF Transformer 2.0 is the last version that does allow manual area selection (and page range selection in a text field, which is mighty handy). It has fewer features than FR (e.g. can't rotate or deskew pages, doesn't have the Background Image area type) but otherwise works well and sometimes even better than FR (just an hour ago it recognized some text for me that FR11 missed).

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:32
German to English
+ ...
Wondershare PDFelement Nov 19, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

Is there a PDF to Word conversion tool that does a good job, including OCR, correct layout, etc.?

I have been using ABBYY PDF Transformer 2.0 for years. It allows you to specify which part of the page is text, table or image and you can tell it to put text on top of an image. But it has been unavailable for new installs for some years.

ABBYY suggested I upgrade to 3.0 but I found it not very good.

Microsoft Word 2016 claims to convert PDF to Word, but I found the results completely useless.

Surely there must be some new and improved technology?

is my favorite. It converts scanned and fotocopied PDFs with sufficient accuracy and correctness and works far better than ABBY Finereader. http://www.wondershare.net/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting PDF to Word - best tool?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »