Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@José Jun 19, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
Over and over again I suggested that Proz should adopt an objective grading system, i.e. a small number of Y/N questions that can be evidenced with FACTS, if required.

When last have you had a look at the Blue Board, José?

bb image

LWA stands for Likelihood of Working Again. Well, after the few and short (and bad) experiences I had with the Outsourcer implied in this thread, I would certainly work for them again, if only they...

The LWA is a score that is based on your existing experience with the agency -- not on your future experience. It goes without saying that many translators might be more willing to work with a low-scoring client "if conditions improved". So naturally the LWA score is based on the assumption that the working conditions for future jobs are the same or similar as one's past experiences.

[Edited at 2017-06-19 08:12 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My apologies... Jun 19, 2017

... to Samuel, other readers, and Proz too.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Over and over again I suggested that Proz should adopt an objective grading system, i.e. a small number of Y/N questions that can be evidenced with FACTS, if required.

Yesterday and a few minutes ago.

Now I understand that it is exclusive to paying members and I relinquished such status last year, as Trados became the overwhelming matter here on Proz, both in forum posts and as a must-have job requirement. I still use WordFast and, when my license expires, the first alternative on my list is MemoQ.

Now I understand that Proz has implemented a dual system, where free users see the old style, while paying members have access to the new one. I don't recall having seen this advertised, though it would be a good selling point.

Food for thought on renewing my subscription here.

[Edited at 2017-06-19 12:00 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:34
Member (2004)
English to Italian
This is... Jun 19, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

bb image

LWA stands for Likelihood of Working Again. Well, after the few and short (and bad) experiences I had with the Outsourcer implied in this thread, I would certainly work for them again, if only they...

The LWA is a score that is based on your existing experience with the agency -- not on your future experience. It goes without saying that many translators might be more willing to work with a low-scoring client "if conditions improved". So naturally the LWA score is based on the assumption that the working conditions for future jobs are the same or similar as one's past experiences.

[Edited at 2017-06-19 08:12 GMT]

only for the Plus members? I don't see it...

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:34
English to Italian
Unfortunately Jun 19, 2017

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

only for the Plus members? I don't see it...

Unfortunately, yes...

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Putting the puzzle pieces together Jun 20, 2017

I looked at this company's Glassdoor page a few days ago after I read this thread when they accepted my application to collaborate with them and sent me all 20 pages of their "initial documentation" (which includes filling out two excel sheets of information that I already submitted on my application?).

However when I was skimming through their Glassdoor page, I didn't realize at the time that the company was the same company being talked about here. I just blindly thought "Hey the
... See more
I looked at this company's Glassdoor page a few days ago after I read this thread when they accepted my application to collaborate with them and sent me all 20 pages of their "initial documentation" (which includes filling out two excel sheets of information that I already submitted on my application?).

However when I was skimming through their Glassdoor page, I didn't realize at the time that the company was the same company being talked about here. I just blindly thought "Hey there was a topic the other day about checking Glassdoor pages, maybe I should do that for this company...OH it's the same company being talked about in the topic that provided the friendly advice of checking Glassdoor."

I think this topic saved me a whole heap of frustration because I decided to not continue with them after all. I know their agreement isn't anything out of the ordinary but the wording and the additional clauses were already red flags for me that made me feel uneasy about going through with it. Thanks for chiming in with your experiences everyone, you suffered the frustrations for me.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board vs. Glassdoor - Translators Beware

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »