Thread poster: Peng Liu
Peng Liu
Peng Liu
Australia
Local time: 22:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2020

I did some translation for an agency client last year and provided affidavit afterwards, as requested.
Today a court officer contacted me, asking me to go to local court to provide video evidence for a court hearing in Western Australia.
my question is - am I obliged to do this for free, if not, who should pay for my time, the agent, the individual client, local court or WA court?

freezone (X)

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:27
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just a guess Sep 22, 2020

I have never come across this situation, so I can only guess. You would be doing this for the benefit of the end client, so I would approach the agency first and get them to contact the end client. I wouldn't count on being successful but it may be worth a try.

freezone (X)
freezone (X)
United Arab Emirates
who should pay for my court appearance as witness/ Sep 22, 2020

Haven't encountered this one yet, if that happens I would seek advise from my agent where I got my lawyer

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:27
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
The agency Sep 22, 2020

I am, actually, surprised they require a physical presence because of the current COVID-19 situation. I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago but they were happy for me to do it over the phone. It lasted 10 min., but I sent a bill for one hour (agreed beforehand).

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:27
Japanese to English
+ ...
Court appearance as a witness Sep 23, 2020

When I have appeared as an expert witness in court, it has always been the client (whom I am supporting) who pays.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

who should pay for my court appearance as witness/

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »