Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >
Off topic: 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing
Thread poster: Renquan Yang
traiston
traiston  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:20
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
天要下雨,娘要嫁人 Apr 10, 2008

天要下雨,娘要嫁人,由他们去吧。

我虽然也不太支持奥运,我觉得这些钱不如给全体中国农民上几个社会保险,免除学生的各种费用。但是既然已经要办了,而且政府也在努力,为什么就不能宽容点。敬仰了半天的西方文明,也不过如此。

[Edited at 2008-04-10 02:55]

CHEN-Ling
CHEN-Ling  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
看看这个就知道了 Apr 10, 2008

traiston wrote:

我虽然对奥运没什么热情,但是我不知道为什么国外会有那么多人阻碍圣火传递。

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2008-04/10/content_7951080.htm
在北京奥运火炬传递经过伦敦的第二天,英国主流大报《泰晤士报》发表署名评论员文章说:“从今天开始,英国要准备面对四年后抗议英国的反对者,尤其是如果在伊拉克还有英军的话。”

伦敦是下届奥运会举办地,这将是英国第三次主办奥运。身在英国,我亲身感受到,多次主办过奥运的英国人可能无法理解中国人第一次办奥运的心情。我的加拿大籍华人朋友Joyce说,她母亲不会讲普通话,从没去过北京,但把北京举办奥运当做华人的骄傲。4月6日,身边也有华人留学生从生活费中省出钱,坐火车去伦敦,在火炬传递沿线,举五星红旗盖过身边的“中国人不喜欢的旗帜”。而身边的英国朋友更关注伦敦奥运会的预算,关注它到底要给英国纳税人造成多大的负担。

北京奥运火炬在全球传递的过程,也应该是中国人学会以全球的视野和心态看世界的过程。对于一些别有用心的分裂分子,借火炬的传递滋生事端,中国人理所当然地表示义愤,但这并不影响我们举办奥运的信心。作为大国国民,中国人需要刷新的观念是:不要把奥运火炬传递和国家荣誉画等号;也不要把奥运火炬传递沿途遇到的示威和抗议,当做是对中国人民的羞辱。

哪届奥运火炬传递沿途没有示威和抗议?过去有,本届有,下届还会有;将来无论哪国主办,都会遇到反对者。在全球化的今天,不可能有任何一项活动,得到所有利益群体的赞同。面对示威和反对,和面对支持和肯定一样,是国际性活动的一部分。普通中国人和我们的政府都要学会面对。

北京奥组委的新闻发言人,一直反对把奥运政治化。要做到“体育是体育,政治归政治”,很不容易。在奥运火炬传递的历史上,真有火炬被抢走的插曲。

据报道说,2000年悉尼奥运会,一名青年男子在墨尔本街头举行的火炬接力途中,从接力者手中抢下火炬,自己持火炬跑了一小段距离,直到被警察制止。同样是在这一届,有人使用随身携带的灭火器喷射火炬;有人试图从火炬接力者手中抢下火炬扔进海里。2006年1月23日,都灵冬奥会火炬在意大利境内接力时,火炬被抗议者抢走,后被火炬护卫队抢回。抢走火炬的人士是反对全球化运动的示威者,他们抗议冬奥会的赞助商可口可乐公司。

这些插曲并不会对当届奥运会的成功与否造成多大影响。因此,当更多中国人用看球赛的心情看奥运火炬传递,也就让奥运走近了体育,远离了政治。确实,我们中国人看重面子,太在乎火炬传递对中国的意义,让更多国人接受“不要把奥运火炬传递和国家荣誉画等号”的观点,还需更多时间。

当然,奥运火炬传递沿途各国,有义务保证奥运火炬传递的顺利安全进行;所有示威和抗议,当在合法范围内进行。违法的“藏独”分子,就被警方逮捕了。当今这个世界,没有哪项国际重要活动没有反对者。2007年6月,八国集团(G8)峰会在德国举办时,发生大规模抗议活动,演变成抗议者与警方的暴力冲突。2005年,中国人熟悉的WTO(世界贸易组织)在香港开会时,韩国2000多农民到香港抬棺游行,为WTO“送葬”,反对出台农产品开放政策。

随着中国国力的增强,在全球扮演的角色更重要,中国政府和中国人民面对的来自国内外的反对人士会更多。如果我们学会用正常的心态来面对抗议,用合法的手段适时处理,用“兼听则明”的心胸来思考反对意见,这将是北京奥运会留给我们的财富。

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 08:20
英雄主义 Apr 10, 2008

traiston wrote:

喜欢出风头的人,哪儿能露脸,就往哪儿钻。

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 07:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
这篇文章很理智,顶一下 Apr 10, 2008

Mincho Young wrote:

traiston wrote:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/newmedia/2008-04/10/content_7951080.htm
在北京奥运火炬传递经过伦敦的第二天,英国主流大报《泰晤士报》发表署名评论员文章说:“从今天开始,英国要准备面对四年后抗议英国的反对者,尤其是如果在伊拉克还有英军的话。”

伦敦是下届奥运会举办地,这将是英国第三次主办奥运。身在英国,我亲身感受到,多次主办过奥运的英国人可能无法理解中国人第一次办奥运的心情。我的加拿大籍华人朋友Joyce说,她母亲不会讲普通话,从没去过北京,但把北京举办奥运当做华人的骄傲。4月6日,身边也有华人留学生从生活费中省出钱,坐火车去伦敦,在火炬传递沿线,举五星红旗盖过身边的“中国人不喜欢的旗帜”。而身边的英国朋友更关注伦敦奥运会的预算,关注它到底要给英国纳税人造成多大的负担。

北京奥运火炬在全球传递的过程,也应该是中国人学会以全球的视野和心态看世界的过程。对于一些别有用心的分裂分子,借火炬的传递滋生事端,中国人理所当然地表示义愤,但这并不影响我们举办奥运的信心。作为大国国民,中国人需要刷新的观念是:不要把奥运火炬传递和国家荣誉画等号;也不要把奥运火炬传递沿途遇到的示威和抗议,当做是对中国人民的羞辱。

哪届奥运火炬传递沿途没有示威和抗议?过去有,本届有,下届还会有;将来无论哪国主办,都会遇到反对者。在全球化的今天,不可能有任何一项活动,得到所有利益群体的赞同。面对示威和反对,和面对支持和肯定一样,是国际性活动的一部分。普通中国人和我们的政府都要学会面对。

北京奥组委的新闻发言人,一直反对把奥运政治化。要做到“体育是体育,政治归政治”,很不容易。在奥运火炬传递的历史上,真有火炬被抢走的插曲。

据报道说,2000年悉尼奥运会,一名青年男子在墨尔本街头举行的火炬接力途中,从接力者手中抢下火炬,自己持火炬跑了一小段距离,直到被警察制止。同样是在这一届,有人使用随身携带的灭火器喷射火炬;有人试图从火炬接力者手中抢下火炬扔进海里。2006年1月23日,都灵冬奥会火炬在意大利境内接力时,火炬被抗议者抢走,后被火炬护卫队抢回。抢走火炬的人士是反对全球化运动的示威者,他们抗议冬奥会的赞助商可口可乐公司。

这些插曲并不会对当届奥运会的成功与否造成多大影响。因此,当更多中国人用看球赛的心情看奥运火炬传递,也就让奥运走近了体育,远离了政治。确实,我们中国人看重面子,太在乎火炬传递对中国的意义,让更多国人接受“不要把奥运火炬传递和国家荣誉画等号”的观点,还需更多时间。

当然,奥运火炬传递沿途各国,有义务保证奥运火炬传递的顺利安全进行;所有示威和抗议,当在合法范围内进行。违法的“藏独”分子,就被警方逮捕了。当今这个世界,没有哪项国际重要活动没有反对者。2007年6月,八国集团(G8)峰会在德国举办时,发生大规模抗议活动,演变成抗议者与警方的暴力冲突。2005年,中国人熟悉的WTO(世界贸易组织)在香港开会时,韩国2000多农民到香港抬棺游行,为WTO“送葬”,反对出台农产品开放政策。

随着中国国力的增强,在全球扮演的角色更重要,中国政府和中国人民面对的来自国内外的反对人士会更多。如果我们学会用正常的心态来面对抗议,用合法的手段适时处理,用“兼听则明”的心胸来思考反对意见,这将是北京奥运会留给我们的财富。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
San Francisco Police Department Apr 10, 2008

wherestip wrote:

San Francisco Olympic Torch Ceremony

Well, that certainly was not what I expected. But at least I don't have to eat my words.

Steve,

I am very glad that you don't have to eat your words. It is very clear that SFPD did a much better job compared to the police in London or Paris. I could see the police officers did not hesitate at all to use force when necessary to keep order during the Olympic Torch relay.

[Edited at 2008-04-10 15:17]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:20
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
兼听则明 Apr 10, 2008

期望中國的領導人有這樣的“心胸”。

Mincho Young wrote:

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
No politics pls, PK. Apr 10, 2008

The boss has already set the tone. But if you are really interested, go over the following links.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/10/us/10torch.html
Olympic Torch Route Changed in San Francisco
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3256883,00.html
Cat and Mouse in San Francisco
http://www.rfi.fr/actufr/articles/100/article_64896.asp
Bush under Pressure
You are lucky to be in the USA and you can read them, so that you won't be biased.
pkchan wrote:
期望中國的領導人有這樣的“心胸”。
Mincho Young wrote:

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
The city did as promised Apr 10, 2008

Yueyin Sun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

San Francisco Olympic Torch Ceremony

Well, that certainly was not what I expected. But at least I don't have to eat my words.

Steve,

I am very glad that you don't have to eat your words. It is very clear that SFPD did a much better job compared to the police in London or Paris. I could see the police officers did not hesitate at all to use force when necessary to keep order during the Olympic Torch relay.

Yueyin,

I agree. Those in charge did a good job in keeping law and order. They knew what their #1 priority was.

Also the voices of demonstrators from both sides were heard, by and large peacefully. Too bad the majority of people who lined up along the originally designated route waiting to see the Olympic torch were disappointed though.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Only reroute, hiding in a warehouse and 2 miles shorter Apr 10, 2008

Steve,

Have you ever heard the following three sentences?

A half truth is worse than a lie. A half truth is a great lie. Add a few drops of malice to a half truth and you have an absolute truth.

wherestip wrote:

Also the voices of demonstrators from both sides were heard, by and large peacefully. Too bad the majority of people who lined up along the originally designated route waiting to see the Olympic torch were disappointed though.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Please be more specific Apr 10, 2008

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Steve,

Have you ever heard the following three sentences?

A half truth is worse than a lie. A half truth is a great lie. Add a few drops of malice to a half truth and you have an absolute truth.

wherestip wrote:

Wenjer,

No, I haven't. But I sure hope you're not referring to anything I have said in this forum.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sorry, I can't. Apr 10, 2008

Steve,

I am sorry that I can't be more specific for it would become too political. The three sentences do not refer to anything you've said in this forum. They refer to what we read and respond upon in this forum. Let's just drop it at this point.

wherestip wrote:

Please be more specific

Wenjer,

No, I haven't. But I sure hope you're not referring to anything I have said in this forum.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Eric Hoffer Apr 10, 2008

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Steve,

I am sorry that I can't be more specific for it would become too political. The three sentences do not refer to anything you've said in this forum. They refer to what we read and respond upon in this forum. Let's just drop it at this point.

Well, that's a relief. For a while I was a little worried there

I did look up the last quote though. I like many of the quotes of this Eric Hoffer person ...

http://jpetrie.myweb.uga.edu/hoffer.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hoffer

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
A great thinker, wasn't he? Apr 10, 2008

"Unless a man has talents to make something of himself, freedom is an irksome burden. Of what avail is freedom to choose if the self be ineffectual? We join a mass movement to escape individual responsibility, or, in the words of the ardent young Nazi, 'to be free from freedom.'"

wherestip wrote:

Eric Hoffer

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Make one's voice heard Apr 10, 2008

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

I agree. Those in charge did a good job in keeping law and order. They knew what their #1 priority was.

Steve,

Yes, everybody is entitled to make his voice heard, but whoever dares to cross the line will be contained and/or punished. That's what America is all about. I saw that SFPD made at least one arrest.

“According to my sources” and NOT “based on an unconfirmed report”, Mario Vazquez Rana, Chairman of the International Olympic Association, said that 205 countries and regions would participate in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. This is unprecedented in Olympic history!

[Edited at 2008-04-10 20:49]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Here's a nice picture Apr 10, 2008

Here's a nice shot of some of the Chinese-American community waiting to get a glimpse of the Olympic torch relay yesterday ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjorngustaf/2401171049/

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2008 Olympic Games in Beijing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »