Re: Two Trados 2017 “target file” issues: erratic page numbers and header/footer editing
Thread poster: Lingjiin Kang
Lingjiin Kang
Lingjiin Kang
Canada
Local time: 09:36
Chinese to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2017

Hi, I use Trados 2017 to translate English .docx files which were originally PDF. Whenever the target file is generated, the page numbers are erratic; sometimes the page number sequence will skip one or two numbers, and sometimes repeat the same number. I have attempted to change the page numbers in the footer without avail, as all pages will then show the edited numbers. For example, the target file page number shows 136, 137, 138, 142, and 143. If the last two are changed to 139 and 140, all 5... See more
Hi, I use Trados 2017 to translate English .docx files which were originally PDF. Whenever the target file is generated, the page numbers are erratic; sometimes the page number sequence will skip one or two numbers, and sometimes repeat the same number. I have attempted to change the page numbers in the footer without avail, as all pages will then show the edited numbers. For example, the target file page number shows 136, 137, 138, 142, and 143. If the last two are changed to 139 and 140, all 5 pages would become 139 and 140 alternately (i.e. 136, 137 and 138 no longer exist).

The other related issue is that often when I translate from English to Chinese, the English source file page numbers will not match the Chinese target page numbers, because Chinese language requires more words (about 1.7 to 1). The erratic page number issue in the Chinese target file happens to me quite often, especially if the total (aggregate) .docx file is over several hundred pages in length.

Finally, I would like to know if it is possible to use “find and replace” in Word to edit headers and footers in the target file? The idea of course being that this may allow me to override the original page numbers in the target file to create a new page number sequence.

Thanks in advance for any info. or suggestions on these issues!
Collapse

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:36
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Section breaks + header/footer page numbering Nov 3, 2017

Hi Lingjiin,

I think it is mainly an issue of header/footer + page numbering of the Word document.

There are various combinations of header/footer page numbers.

If you enter a page number field, the number will increase with pages.
If you enter a fixed number manually, the number will be treated a meaningless symbol and will not change with pages.
Sometimes you can edit a page number on certain page if you have multiple sections (separated by "s
... See more
Hi Lingjiin,

I think it is mainly an issue of header/footer + page numbering of the Word document.

There are various combinations of header/footer page numbers.

If you enter a page number field, the number will increase with pages.
If you enter a fixed number manually, the number will be treated a meaningless symbol and will not change with pages.
Sometimes you can edit a page number on certain page if you have multiple sections (separated by "section breaks"). Now you have the option of restarting numbering from a certain number in the current section with the command "Insert" (tab) > "Page Number" > "Format page numbers".

The difference between page numbers may very possibly meany they are in different sections.

You can search Google for more information about how to show/remove/insert section breaks, and how to set header/footer/page numbers. Here are some examples:

Show / delete section breaks:
https://support.office.com/zh-cn/article/删除分节符-1e12f200-7215-4688-a55a-5130f383dc5f

Add a section break:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Insert-a-section-break-eef20fd8-e38c-4ba6-a027-e503bdf8375c

Though the above knowledge is useful, many translators usually do not handle such issues. Most translation agencies have contracted or in-house DTP experts who work with such issues.

Ted

[Edited at 2017-11-04 09:34 GMT]
Collapse

Lingjiin Kang
Lingjiin Kang
Canada
Local time: 09:36
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Two Trados 2017 “target file” issues: erratic page numbers and header/footer editing Nov 9, 2017

Hi Ted,

After having worked with your reply and the replies on SDL forum, I realized that the PDF converted word file was not properly sectioned, because I found that the converted source Word file already exhibited erratic page numbers. No wonder my SDL target file also had this problem. Thank your for your helpful suggestions.

Best Regards,
Lingjiin Kang

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:36
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Welcome to the Chinese Forum! Nov 12, 2017

Dear Lingjiin Kang,

My warm welcome to you for your first visit in the Chinese Forum. I was glad you found the reply by Ibone helpful. Do drop in again when you've time or have other questions about translation and/or CAT.

Thank you Ibone for your useful answer.

Regards.

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re: Two Trados 2017 “target file” issues: erratic page numbers and header/footer editing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »