Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >
难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)
Thread poster: Zhoudan
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 15:33
Chinese to English
Poets Apr 10, 2008

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:
Anyone who is absent-minded is called "散仙" in Taiwanese. In German, we call such a person "Trottel" as I introduced the term "Globaltrottel" when I posted a song, "Un trotamundo como yo", sung by Nicola di Bari.

A "Narr (fool)" or a "Trottel (dope)" is usually not even taken seriously by his own wife, like 淳于髡 during the Warrior Time in Chinese hitory.

Poet-Sage; Poet-Immortal

[Edited at 2008-04-10 21:55]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 15:33
Chinese to English
'Dancing in Chains'; sonnet Apr 11, 2008

lai an wrote:

Thank you very much, Wenjer. From you I learnt about 德,理,情 and 统一战争.
For me, 'dancing in chains' is a discipline (as the poet said).

[Edited at 2008-04-10 04:17]

[Edited at 2008-04-10 07:09]

[Edited at 2008-04-10 07:10]

[Edited at 2008-04-10 08:21]

Han Yu, Tang Dynasty poet and statesman
Pope, Shakespeare

顺连/顺联/训练

[Edited at 2008-04-11 22:20]

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
presentation Apr 13, 2008

有上下文的还比较好处理,孤零零的一句就比较恶心:
Explaining how your presentation is organised

报告?发言?示范?

[Edited at 2008-04-13 05:27]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
我偶然注意到中文的某些职位名称被人赋予了极度夸张的含义 Apr 13, 2008

所带来的结果就是某些职位的社会地位极低,而某些却极高,高得莫明其妙。

比如列车员 VS空中小姐。这两种人被人赋予的含义真是一个天上一个地上。 一个在天上一个在地上,倒是实情, 但从本质来说,仅仅是一个在天上飞一个在地上跑。都是服务员。仅此而已。

如果把空姐和宾馆服务员放一起比较,就更没法比了。其实两者也没什么本质上的区别,�
... See more
所带来的结果就是某些职位的社会地位极低,而某些却极高,高得莫明其妙。

比如列车员 VS空中小姐。这两种人被人赋予的含义真是一个天上一个地上。 一个在天上一个在地上,倒是实情, 但从本质来说,仅仅是一个在天上飞一个在地上跑。都是服务员。仅此而已。

如果把空姐和宾馆服务员放一起比较,就更没法比了。其实两者也没什么本质上的区别,只不过一个是在飞,另一个是在固定场所服务而已。都是hospitality industry 里的一个环节。

然而,一个人要是当了宾馆服务员,就会被人看成是伺候人的,而空姐不也是伺候人的吗?但却不会有人那么想。用一个现实的例子就很容易看出这种区别。假如某人娶了个饭店服务员当老婆,邻居们或许会看不起这个人;但假如某人娶了个空姐做老婆,他可能会立即被邻居们高看一眼。

如果当年发明空中小姐这个词的人用的是“飞机服务员”,也许空姐在如今也就没那么高的地位了。

其实在很多语言中, 与空姐对应的词并没有这么夸张的意韵。例如英语,不过是司徒瓦特而已。司徒瓦特听起来有那么美吗?没有吧。

这也许是文化差异使然,也许是社会经济原因使然,如果这里有人还在念语言方面的学位,其实可以把这个当一个课题研究研究。

文化语言学?心理语言学?社会语言学?我也不知该归到哪一类,反正觉得这个主题可以用来做一大篇文章。

我也不知我想说什么,没理顺就贴出来了,怕忘了。

[Edited at 2008-04-13 22:19]

[Edited at 2008-04-13 22:21]

[Edited at 2008-04-13 23:36]
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
一问莱丝莉 Apr 13, 2008

你怎么老贴那些历史文化的文章啊?逻辑上好像有点不搭界啊!那些事我们读者都知道,因为这里的人都上过大学。如果你希望给老外们增长知识,很显然这里不是最恰当的场所,因为极少有老外到这里来,而且来了他们也许看不懂,太深奥,只有你这样的老外才懂这个。

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
莱丝莉被禁声了 Apr 14, 2008

要一个月以后才解禁。
理由只有等版主说明了。

jyuan_us wrote:

你怎么老贴那些历史文化的文章啊?逻辑上好像有点不搭界啊!那些事我们读者都知道,因为这里的人都上过大学。如果你希望给老外们增长知识,很显然这里不是最恰当的场所,因为极少有老外到这里来,而且来了他们也许看不懂,太深奥,只有你这样的老外才懂这个。

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:33
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is not appropriate to discuss this matter here. Apr 14, 2008

abinitio,

The mentioned case has nothing to do with you. I am not clear why you need to bring it to this thread to discuss. It is my decision due to certain violation to the forums rules. There is no rule saying I need to explain about it.

Kevin

[修改时间: 2008-04-14 06:11]

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
A bit touchy... Apr 14, 2008

Dear Moderator,

Which part of my post does it say that I intended to have a discussion about this matter?

Which part of my post does it demand, request or "ask politely" that you explain your reasons concerning Lesley's suspension?

I was merely following jyuan_us' post which appeared to be a question to Lesley.

abinitio wrote:

莱丝莉被禁声了 1:05am

要一个月以后才解禁。
理由只有等版主说明了

Kevin Yang wrote:
It is not appropriate to discuss this matter here.

abinitio,

The mentioned case has nothing to do with you. I am not clear why you need to bring it to this thread to discuss. It is my decision due to certain violation to the forums rules. There is no rule saying I need to explain about it.

Kevin

[修改时间: 2008-04-14 06:11]

[Edited at 2008-04-14 09:26]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your questions are best for yourself to reply. Apr 14, 2008

abinitio wrote:

Dear Moderator,

Which part of my post does it say that I intended to have a discussion about this matter?

Which part of my post does it demand, request or "ask politely" that you explain your reasons concerning Lesley's suspension?

I was merely following jyuan_us' post which appeared to be a question to Lesley.

abinitio wrote:

莱丝莉被禁声了 1:05am

要一个月以后才解禁。
理由只有等版主说明了

abinitio,

For your information, each site has its own designated purpose ( http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11 ). This thread is for discussing "难翻的词", and the matter you reported here is about the administration action on another user. Anything being posted in a forum is open for discussion, but this is not a matter for discussion. If you wanted to inquire information or express any of your opinions, you need to file a support ticket, not just post it in any thread you want.

Kevin

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
Lai an Apr 14, 2008

See you at the Kudoz

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
With pleasure, let me answer my own questions... Apr 15, 2008

Dear Moderator,

Let me say this:

1. I was merely following a previous post which appeared to contain a direct question to a forum participant.

2. I happened to possess certain information about this forum participant and I posted it as a matter of fact.

3. I didn't express any personal opinion regarding the administrative action, nor was I interested in discussing it.

Reading too much into my post is nothing more than speculatin
... See more
Dear Moderator,

Let me say this:

1. I was merely following a previous post which appeared to contain a direct question to a forum participant.

2. I happened to possess certain information about this forum participant and I posted it as a matter of fact.

3. I didn't express any personal opinion regarding the administrative action, nor was I interested in discussing it.

Reading too much into my post is nothing more than speculating and that's all I wish to say on this matter.

Kevin Yang wrote:
Your questions are best for yourself to reply. Apr 14

abinitio,

For your information, each site has its own designated purpose ( http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11 ). This thread is for discussing "难翻的词", and the matter you reported here is about the administration action on another user. Anything being posted in a forum is open for discussion, but this is not a matter for discussion. If you wanted to inquire information or express any of your opinions, you need to file a support ticket, not just post it in any thread you want.

Kevin

[Edited at 2008-04-15 01:38]
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your above posts do not belong to this thread. Apr 15, 2008

abinitio wrote:

Dear Moderator,

Let me say this:

Reading too much into my post is nothing more than speculating and that's all I wish to say on this matter.

abinitio,

Your above posts do not belong to this thread. Please refer to what I wrote to you in my previous post. Please take this as my warning to you, and for that I would use rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11
If you need to get the official explanation about the admin action you mentioned, please file your support ticket.

Kevin Yang

[修改时间: 2008-04-15 05:17]

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
“有觉悟“怎么能翻的地道一点? Apr 23, 2008

例句:我比你有觉悟多了。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »