Sucheta Marathe
Sucheta Marathe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:02
Marathi to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2016

Hi,

I am a software professional with 17+ years of experience. Started as a developer, QA and then worked as a Project/Program Manager across the globe. Translation is my passion and have been working as a part-time freelancer since last 7 years (along with my full time IT job) .
I am a certified Project Management Professional from Software Engineering Institute (SEI, Pittsburgh, USA)

I have attended couple of on-line Localization courses (also from Proz trainin
... See more
Hi,

I am a software professional with 17+ years of experience. Started as a developer, QA and then worked as a Project/Program Manager across the globe. Translation is my passion and have been working as a part-time freelancer since last 7 years (along with my full time IT job) .
I am a certified Project Management Professional from Software Engineering Institute (SEI, Pittsburgh, USA)

I have attended couple of on-line Localization courses (also from Proz training) and attended some webinars.
I wish to work and specialize in Localization, I18N field henceforth.

How and whom should I approach to get assignments in localization as a freelancer ? I need to get good experience as eventually I would like to be a Localization PM.

Can someone guide me?
Collapse

Xenoglossy
Xenoglossy
Local time: 09:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Mar 2, 2016

http://www.localisation.ie/education/

Sucheta Marathe
India
Marathi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 3, 2016

Thanks AGV, for sharing the link for 'MSc in Multilingual Computing and Localisation (Distance Learning)' from University of Limerick. Very useful course information.
However, I will not be able to take up a year long course at this stage. It will be expensive as well, considering me as a non-EU student.

Having said that, I will really be interested in a short course with hands-on experience.

[Edited at 2016-03-03 17:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-03 17:52 GMT]

Alyssa Yorgan
Alyssa Yorgan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Russian to English
Certificate in Localization at U. Washington Mar 16, 2016

Hi,

I've been looking at similar opportunities and found a certificate course (8 months) at U. Washington. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has pursued this certificate and what their thoughts are.

https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/localization-customizing-software-for-the-world

There is an even shorter (a
... See more
Hi,

I've been looking at similar opportunities and found a certificate course (8 months) at U. Washington. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has pursued this certificate and what their thoughts are.

https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/localization-customizing-software-for-the-world

There is an even shorter (and cheaper) course that the Localization Institute offers and a more advanced one for people with management experience (which it sounds might be more appropriate for you)....
Collapse

Sucheta Marathe
India
Marathi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Career in Localization Mar 16, 2016

Thanks Alyssa.
I will definitely have a look and opportunities as an international student.

Rgds,
Sucheta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wish to start a career in Localization

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »