Thread poster: Michael Mangelsdorf
Michael Mangelsdorf
Michael Mangelsdorf  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:52
English to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2017

As some of you may have heard, Linguee has launched an online translation service called DeepL (https://www.deepl.com/translator). The interface is quite similar to Google Translator. I have tried out the engine with typical English sentences taken from actual translation assignments I mostly do: consumer electronics manuals, business documents... and in all cases I checked (your mileage may of course ... See more
As some of you may have heard, Linguee has launched an online translation service called DeepL (https://www.deepl.com/translator). The interface is quite similar to Google Translator. I have tried out the engine with typical English sentences taken from actual translation assignments I mostly do: consumer electronics manuals, business documents... and in all cases I checked (your mileage may of course vary), output quality into German was frankly astonishing - not even a spelling mistake. I've seen a lot of machine translation output from many engines - this is different.

As a full-time freelance translator, I am fascinated but concerned by this tool and would like to invite discussion of it, in preparation for the inevitable API that Linguee will certainly develop for the service in the short term, and which will bring it in direct competition with human language service providers. Since the tool translates sentences almost instantaneously, given available hardware, it may soon also affect interpreters. The speed and quality also allow for abuse of course, as much of the output can easily be passed off as native copy, even without post editing.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wow, thanks for the tip! Aug 29, 2017

Looks very good, for Dutch > English. I wonder how long it will take them to create an API/plugin for use in CAT tools?

I created a quick TMX based on my current job, and will see how it fares against my current MT favourite: Google Translate (via the plugin inside CafeTran).

I made the TMX by:

• exporting my project as an .html file in CafeTran,
• creating two txt files: nl.txt (with my source text) and en.txt (empty)
• copy/pasting
... See more
Looks very good, for Dutch > English. I wonder how long it will take them to create an API/plugin for use in CAT tools?

I created a quick TMX based on my current job, and will see how it fares against my current MT favourite: Google Translate (via the plugin inside CafeTran).

I made the TMX by:

• exporting my project as an .html file in CafeTran,
• creating two txt files: nl.txt (with my source text) and en.txt (empty)
• copy/pasting nl.txt into the website @ https://www.deepl.com/translator
• pasting the results into en.txt
• aligning the two .txt files to create my TMX.

Michael

[Edited at 2017-08-29 19:25 GMT]
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Good but not mind-blowing Aug 29, 2017

Had a look, it's not bad, pretty impressive really. I'm sure I'll use it for translating from languages I don't speak (for personal use, obviously).

Nonetheless, in my language pairs I still produce a faster, better translation on my own.

Perhaps it will push all the lousy translators out of the bottom of the market and project managers will stop telling me they know lots of people who'll translate for 5 cents a word.

Yaotl Altan

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
PEMT Aug 29, 2017

Georgie Scott wrote:

Perhaps it will push all the lousy translators out of the bottom of the market and project managers will stop telling me they know lots of people who'll translate for 5 cents a word.

Yeah, maybe they'll all become 'post-editors' at 1-2 cents per word... :-/

Not sure where all of this is going, but I somehow doubt it's in our best interest (as a category).

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:52
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Confidentiality Aug 29, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I created a quick TMX based on my current job (...)

• copy/pasting nl.txt into the website @ https://www.deepl.com/translator,

And what happened with the confidentiality of the document(s) you have access to? I hope you don't believe blindly that no one sees or (ab)uses the texts copy-pasted in such engines.

Michael Mangelsdorf
Michael Mangelsdorf  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confidentiality Aug 29, 2017

Kalinka Hristova wrote:
And what happened with the confidentiality of the document(s) you have access to?

Oh yes, as with any other online service, I would consider anything you paste in there to be public! You are right to be wary of course, Kalinka : )

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
anonymised Aug 29, 2017

Kalinka Hristova wrote:

I created a quick TMX based on my current job (...)

• copy/pasting nl.txt into the website @ https://www.deepl.com/translator,

And what happened with the confidentiality of the document(s) you have access to? I hope you don't believe blindly that no one sees or (ab)uses the texts copy-pasted in such engines.

I'm 99% certain nothing posted into the (online) Google Translate or this new DeepL interface will be read by a human and sold on the black market, but just in case, I anonymised the text prior to pasting it.

Yaotl Altan

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
What we all should do rather than diving straight in: Stop, Read and Think Aug 29, 2017

Michael Mangelsdorf wrote:
As a full-time freelance translator, I am fascinated but concerned by this tool and would like to invite discussion of it, in preparation for the inevitable API that Linguee will certainly develop for the service in the short term, and which will bring it in direct competition with human language service providers. Since the tool translates sentences almost instantaneously, given available hardware, it may soon also affect interpreters. The speed and quality also allow for abuse of course, as much of the output can easily be passed off as native copy, even without post editing.

DeepL has been mentioned in this thread http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/318053-machine_translation_–_post_editing_should_we_take_on_these_jobs_for_how_much.html yesterday where we were discussing if translators should edit Mts because of the future competition this may bring about.
Looks very good, for Dutch > English.
l

Yes, I gave it a go in English to French and it performs very well. It’s not surprising since they have been gathering tons of translations over the years…
Kalinka Hristova wrote:

Well this is a sensitive issue yet again. And here again reading the fine print is of the utmost importance.
Their page at https://www.deepl.com/privacy.html
States: “Please note that you may not use our translation service for any texts containing personal data of any kind.
If you use our translation service, you transfer all texts you would like to transfer to our servers. This is required for us to perform the translation and to provide you with our service. We store your texts and the translation in order to train and improve our translation algorithm for a limited period of time.
If you make corrections to our suggested translations, these corrections will also be transferred to our server in order to check the correction for accuracy and, if necessary, to update the translated text in accordance with your changes. We also store your corrections in order to train and improve our translation algorithm for a limited period of time.”
Below that there’s a box under the section “Pseudonymous user profiles” that you can tick stating “I refuse the storage of my data and texts.”

All these are important issues

My bests

Yaotl Altan

Georgie Scott
France
French to English
+ ...
Quality Aug 29, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Georgie Scott wrote:

Yeah, maybe they'll all become 'post-editors' at 1-2 cents per word... :-/

Not sure where all of this is going, but I somehow doubt it's in our best interest (as a category).

If I thought it was possible to earn a decent living that enabled me to produce high-quality work by post-editing this sort of translation at 1-2 cents a word, I would.

I don't think I can and I don't believe other people can either. I've seen the state of translations produced for 5 cents a word and I don't find them the least bit intimidating.

When I read a sentence in French or Spanish my level of understanding is already of a far higher quality than what is produced by Deepl; ergo it is superfluous. This is why I won't work on texts translated by non-natives. It is cheaper for my clients to have me translate it directly.

Perhaps there will be no more market for gist translation. I can't say I'll miss it.

Or the translation market will dry up and we'll all have to become copywriters or entrepreneurs.

Yaotl Altan

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
interesting: Aug 29, 2017

"2009 Linguee - the first web search engine for translations - is launched. For the first time, people can see how others have translated certain phrases. The service quickly attracts attention from professional translators, business people, etc.

2007 Gereon Frahling leaves his position at Google Research in New York City to begin working on a search engine for translations. Together with Leo Fink, a friend, they code for 18 months, developing crawlers and machi
... See more
"2009 Linguee - the first web search engine for translations - is launched. For the first time, people can see how others have translated certain phrases. The service quickly attracts attention from professional translators, business people, etc.

2007 Gereon Frahling leaves his position at Google Research in New York City to begin working on a search engine for translations. Together with Leo Fink, a friend, they code for 18 months, developing crawlers and machine learning systems to check translation quality."

(https://www.deepl.com/press.html )
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
also being discussed by Jost Zetzsche over at: Aug 29, 2017

https://twitter.com/Linguee/status/902450812206579712

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
interesting article: Aug 29, 2017

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/29/deepl-schools-other-online-translators-with-clever-machine-learning/

Georgie Scott
France
French to English
+ ...
From a linguistics point of view Aug 29, 2017

it is pretty cool, you have to give it that.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
API Aug 30, 2017

Let's wait for the API. I'm eager to have this new MT system integrated in my favourite CAT tool .

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I played with it a bit... Aug 30, 2017

EN > IT... I don't think it's even better than GT right now...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »