Is it possible to automatically process escape sequence backslash in XML files?
Thread poster: Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Russian Federation
Apr 15, 2021

Hello!

I'm working with mobile app translation into several languages and mainly process two types of files: XML (for Android OS) and STRINGS (for iOS). MemoQ seems to handle both of these types of files without much hassle - default XML filter does a good job, and for STRINGS files I use Regex. But there is a certain critical issue that I can't seem to overcome: automatical process of escape sequence backslash. Here is an example:

|string name="example1"|This is some e
... See more
Hello!

I'm working with mobile app translation into several languages and mainly process two types of files: XML (for Android OS) and STRINGS (for iOS). MemoQ seems to handle both of these types of files without much hassle - default XML filter does a good job, and for STRINGS files I use Regex. But there is a certain critical issue that I can't seem to overcome: automatical process of escape sequence backslash. Here is an example:

|string name="example1"|This is some example text and it\'s making my head \"hurt\".|/string|

As you can see symbols like ['] and ["] should have [\] before them, otherwise they will be treated by app engine as technical markers, not actual symbols. If I upload this sentence via XML filter, MemoQ will completele hide |string||/string| and display plain text but with all [\] before ['] and ["]. Moreover, the translator will have to put [\] manually in the target text each time they will need to translate words within ["]. What bothers me is that such tools as OneSky and Crowdin can handle these things automatically. They will hide all [\] from the actual source translation text and afterwards, when I will download target translation text, all ["] will automatically have [\] before them in target text as well, so there is no need to make additional Regex to hide [\] in source and linguist doesn't need to worry about manually writing [\] before each ["]. But I always considered MemoQ to be a somewhat superior CAT at least from technological point of view, so I'm sure it does have a solution for this matter. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction please? =]

[Edited at 2021-04-15 09:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-15 09:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-15 09:11 GMT]
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to automatically process escape sequence backslash in XML files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »