Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:36
Member (2004)
English to French
Apr 18, 2018

Hi,

An agency asks me for my post-editing rates and I have no clue what to answer. Another agency usually integrates post-editing in translation projects (they call it "neuronal translation") and always sends me a file with the number of fuzzies. I just apply the rate agreed upon in the calculation. Let's face it, agencies pay peanuts. The new agency didn't seem to agree with the rate from the other agency I quoted. How should I establish such a rate? They don't want to tell me what
... See more
Hi,

An agency asks me for my post-editing rates and I have no clue what to answer. Another agency usually integrates post-editing in translation projects (they call it "neuronal translation") and always sends me a file with the number of fuzzies. I just apply the rate agreed upon in the calculation. Let's face it, agencies pay peanuts. The new agency didn't seem to agree with the rate from the other agency I quoted. How should I establish such a rate? They don't want to tell me what their rate is, so I have no idea what they are fishing for. I certainly don't want to quote too low and be stuck with an unfair rate.

Thanks!
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:36
German to English
+ ...
I suggest Apr 18, 2018

That you charge by the hour - say $60 CAD/hour as a trained professional with certification (as I can see in your profile). If the MT is badly done, it will be more expensive to have it post-edited than translated from scratch, and if well done, then everyone is happy. This will also help reduce the exploitative use that is being made of MT + post-editing.
Let's face it, agencies pay peanuts.

You're in Canada with OTTIAQ membership. Are you looking in the right places? Well, agencies pay what we charge. And it's psychologically tough to charge what your services are worth.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:36
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
I don't do it Apr 19, 2018

I won't do post-editing. There is so much translation work to be done in Canada, especially in Quebec, that I have never felt the need to do post-editing. And I don't work for agencies that pay peanuts, there are enough that pay well. Plus, there is a lot of direct client work. Just contact OTTIAQ colleagues who work as employees in large companies and see if you can do their overflow.

[Edited at 2018-04-19 11:51 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Rates for post-editing in Canada

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »