Thread poster: Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 16:29
English to German
Nov 22, 2018

Dear all,

when I see a person's WIWO on the ProZ homepage and I find it interesting, I can:
1. click on the person's username in the WIWO list
2. click on the "more" link under "What (person) is working on"
3. click on the "I Do That" or "Cool!" button or post a reply.
That's a bit of a cumbersome process, and it might be nicer to have those options right on the homepage instead of a three-step process, but it's great to have them. (Note: I'm working from a
... See more
Dear all,

when I see a person's WIWO on the ProZ homepage and I find it interesting, I can:
1. click on the person's username in the WIWO list
2. click on the "more" link under "What (person) is working on"
3. click on the "I Do That" or "Cool!" button or post a reply.
That's a bit of a cumbersome process, and it might be nicer to have those options right on the homepage instead of a three-step process, but it's great to have them. (Note: I'm working from a PC, this user experience might not be the same on mobile devices.)

In the past, I have received friendly replies to two of my WIWOs, and I only discovered them weeks later while going through my own WIWOs to edit them for snark (I know, right?).

Technical question:
Is there a way of receiving notifications about reactions and replies, say, via email?

People-skills question:
How would you react if someone clicked "I do that" on one of your WIWOs? Would you feel the person was trying to connect with you as a peer, maybe a peer for the same subject matter but a different language pair, or would you feel that it was somehow weird for a direct competitor to jump in?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Ricki

[Bearbeitet am 2018-11-22 14:06 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Horrors.... Nov 22, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:

.... I can.....click on the ."Cool!" button

OMG is there really a button called that? Are we in playschool here?

Jorge Payan
Kay Denney

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom in London Nov 22, 2018

Hi Tom,

I guess that was a rhetorical question, but the answer is yes:

Unbenannt

Ricki

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
hmm Nov 22, 2018

Clicking on "I do that" would be pretty poor form. It would look like you're trying to advertise surely!

And I agree that being able to say that what the translator is doing is cool doesn't sound very professional. Interesting, perhaps, might just wash, but really I don't see why anyone would want to say anything?

Jorge Payan

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Kay Denney Nov 22, 2018

The two replies I got were nice, and I liked them. One liked my mentions of my backyard squirrel, and the other one thanked me for saying that I was translating a text about a "wire tree" because she had googled it and discovered that art form. So that was fun.

I also plead guilty to clicking the "Cool!" button today when someone said she was taking some time off, and I just wanted to send a friendly smile on her well-deserved break. I'm not that sensitive to whether it says "cool"
... See more
The two replies I got were nice, and I liked them. One liked my mentions of my backyard squirrel, and the other one thanked me for saying that I was translating a text about a "wire tree" because she had googled it and discovered that art form. So that was fun.

I also plead guilty to clicking the "Cool!" button today when someone said she was taking some time off, and I just wanted to send a friendly smile on her well-deserved break. I'm not that sensitive to whether it says "cool" or "great" or "happy for you" or something. Maybe I should be.

(Tom, ProZ could probably make you cringe a tiny bit more if they changed it to "Awesome!", I guess?)

Oops,
Ricki
Collapse

Kay Denney

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
I Dig That Nov 22, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Ricki Farn wrote:

.... I can.....click on the ."Cool!" button

OMG is there really a button called that? Are we in playschool here?

Cool, I Dig That, For Shizzle!

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Playgroup Nov 22, 2018

Kay Denney wrote:

Clicking on "I do that" would be pretty poor form. It would look like you're trying to advertise surely!

That's what is sounds like. I assume, though, that it is meant as a first step to networking – maybe it should be renamed. How about something like LetZ be FriendZ.

Yolanda Broad

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Now there's an idea Nov 22, 2018

Thomas Pfann wrote: How about something like LetZ be FriendZ.

I want a T-shirt with the ProZ logo and that text.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Actually Nov 22, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:

Hi Tom,

I guess that was a rhetorical question, but the answer is yes:

Unbenannt

Ricki

Actually there was nothing cool about it. And anyway "when it was hip to be hep, I was hep" (Bob Durrough).

I want a "Like, totally amazing" option. Or even better "Holy S**t! Did you do that?" Or "Makes it". "Bad" (as in good). Or "Nice".

[Edited at 2018-11-22 20:39 GMT]

Ricki Farn

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Or ... Nov 22, 2018

"Cool story, bro!"

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Misspelled Nov 22, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:

"Cool story, bro!"

I think you mean "Kewl".

Ricki Farn

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
then they were personal messages. Nov 23, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:

But they are personal messages rather than clicks of a button, that's completely different.
I have never filled in WIWO, I kinda think it might put people off contacting me if it looks like I'm really busy, and it's none of anyone's business anyway. I*ù" reply quickly to any messages if prospective clients want to know anything above what's in my profile.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Public personal messages Nov 23, 2018

Kay, the people who commented on my WIWOs used the "reply" function (see screenshot above), so what I got was personal messages that were (and still are) visible to everyone. I have no idea if I ever got "I do that" or "cool" reactions, because there are no notifications, and I wouldn't know where to look for them.

I've also wondered whether WIWOs discourage people from contacting me because they make me look busy. On the other hand, they get me on the front page for a few seconds o
... See more
Kay, the people who commented on my WIWOs used the "reply" function (see screenshot above), so what I got was personal messages that were (and still are) visible to everyone. I have no idea if I ever got "I do that" or "cool" reactions, because there are no notifications, and I wouldn't know where to look for them.

I've also wondered whether WIWOs discourage people from contacting me because they make me look busy. On the other hand, they get me on the front page for a few seconds or minutes, and they show that I'm still in business (not in hibernation or moved on to become an ice-cream vendor without telling anyone or something). And they contain keywords - which might be used in certain types of searches? Or only in searches via TM Town, which I don't use? Can someone from the ProZ team shed some light on this, please?

Now I feel that we should have a spin-off thread or poll about the pros and cons of WIWOs. Pity we can't find out whether we have actually either been selected or passed over by prospects based on our WIWO activity.

PS good morning everyone!

Edit: I also want a t-shirt that says "Does this WIWO make my ass look busy?"

[Bearbeitet am 2018-11-23 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ricki Nov 23, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:
I have no idea if I ever got "I do that" or "cool" reactions, because there are no notifications, and I wouldn't know where to look for them.

I could not find any WIWOs by you, but if you can see mine (just posted), click those buttons and I'll tell you what they did.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Nov 23, 2018

I can see your WIWO on the homepage (without reaction options) and at https://www.proz.com/wiwo/ (with reaction options), but not in your profile.

I clicked both buttons and replied right now.

So you can't see mine at the top of my profile? Neither in standardized nor in personalized view mode? Maybe there are several options for sharing WIWOs - on the homepage, in the profile or not
... See more
I can see your WIWO on the homepage (without reaction options) and at https://www.proz.com/wiwo/ (with reaction options), but not in your profile.

I clicked both buttons and replied right now.

So you can't see mine at the top of my profile? Neither in standardized nor in personalized view mode? Maybe there are several options for sharing WIWOs - on the homepage, in the profile or not at all? This is getting more and more mysterious by the minute.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WIWO "Cool!" / "I Do That" / reply functionality

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »