Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 16:18
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dec 19, 2019

1. Since September if I log in I can see a weird page after that. Like a demo page. If I clicked further I could use the site.

2. In Proz Find search the "Recent searches you've appeared in" tab is missing since many months. I sent a support ticket first in September then in November, the staff said it was sent to dev. team. Once in September it was fixed, but not now... I don't think it is a bug, because since September my direct job emails declined to 1-2/month (most of them were
... See more
1. Since September if I log in I can see a weird page after that. Like a demo page. If I clicked further I could use the site.

2. In Proz Find search the "Recent searches you've appeared in" tab is missing since many months. I sent a support ticket first in September then in November, the staff said it was sent to dev. team. Once in September it was fixed, but not now... I don't think it is a bug, because since September my direct job emails declined to 1-2/month (most of them were not worth to answer).

3. Yesterday I received a rude and strange email from a translation agency. I don't know why they contacted me via proz.com contact tab since I wrote about 15 times on my profile to contact me only by email.
Their email contained such requests what are obviously written on my profile as DON'Ts for agencies.
The agency asked my CV and they wanted me to do a revision of an MT project.
I asked them to read my profile before writing me.
This was the message:

"Are you serious?
Register on another platform if you don’t want to be contacted by translation agencies or don’t work at all.
Kind regards"

4. Today when I logged in proz.com after logging in I was technically hindered to use the site because after being logged in successfully, any pages I clicked on showed me I was logged out. And it requested me to log in again and again.

First I couldn't even write a support ticket, then I was thinking I don't know whether a support ticket would help ...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin - weird page after logging in Dec 19, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Since September if I log in I can see a weird page after that. Like a demo page. If I clicked further I could use the site.

Can you share a screenshot and post it here for us to see? You can take a screenshot with any number of small utilities, and you can share the screenshot by uploading it to https://imgbb.com .

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin - on not wanting to be contacted via the contact tab Dec 19, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
I don't know why they contacted me via the ProZ.com contact tab, since I wrote about 15 times on my profile to contact me only by email.

Yes, unfortunately you can't really customize those settings fully. However, you can experiment with different options on the privacy page. Go here: https://www.proz.com/consent-settings , and click "Profile messages". It will open a settings page where you can e.g. select the option "Allow no one to send me messages via my profile page". AFAIK that will also disable the ability for people to send you an e-mail by clicking the e-mail link, but they can still send you an e-mail by using your e-mail address manually, if your e-mail address is known to them.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Dec 19, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Since September if I log in I can see a weird page after that. Like a demo page. If I clicked further I could use the site.

Can you share a screenshot and post it here for us to see? You can take a screenshot with any number of small utilities, and you can share the screenshot by uploading it to https://imgbb.com .

Yes, unfortunately you can't really customize those settings fully. However, you can experiment with different options on the privacy page. Go here: https://www.proz.com/consent-settings , and click "Profile messages". It will open a settings page where you can e.g. select the option "Allow no one to send me messages via my profile page". AFAIK that will also disable the ability for people to send you an e-mail by clicking the e-mail link, but they can still send you an e-mail by using your e-mail address manually, if your e-mail address is known to them.

@Samuel

Thank you for your replies.

1. Actually I didn't receive notifications of your replies either.
I sent the screenshot more times to the staff, they know the problem well, because when first I complained they were able to fix it.
When I log in the homepage looks like: all white page with only the texts of the homepage written the same red fonts in a weird distorted layout. Nothing else can be seen.
If I open proz.com on another window page then I could use the site normally.
But today it didn't allow me to use it because after logging in, it acted as if I was logged out.

2. Yes, maybe I will try that.
Actually many months ago I added a request message in the setting of the "Contact messages".
I don't think that so many requests can be ignored if they are really visible by clients.
If someone clicks on the contact tab of my profile this request should be seen:

"Send translator, interpreter, translation agency mail
Note for those wishing to contact me
Please review the following note from your intended recipient before sending this message:

PLEASE, DO NOT USE THIS CONTACT TAB.
WRITE DIRECTLY TO:

KATSZI @ PROTONMAIL DOT COM "

[Edited at 2019-12-19 09:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-12-19 09:16 GMT]

+ Added:
The home page layout cannot be a cache or browsing history or browser updating issue.

[Edited at 2019-12-19 09:23 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin Dec 19, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
When I log in, the homepage looks like: all white page with only the texts of the homepage written the same red fonts in a weird distorted layout. Nothing else can be seen.

This sounds like what happens when a web page does not load fully before the browser decides to display it. The browser fails to load the linked style sheet (which is why all the letters use the same font and why the background is white) and often also fails to load some or all of the images.

This could be caused by a slow internet connection or by the fact that your browser is over eager to display the page before it is fully loaded. When it happens, one should try to reload the page or try to load it in a new tab.

If someone clicks on the contact tab of my profile, this request should be seen:
Please review the following note from your intended recipient before sending this message..."

Interesting -- as far as I can tell, I'm not able to add such a notice to my profile page's contact tab. Can you tell us what steps you took to be able to edit it? I can only opt to either show or not show various contact options, but I can't add a special message:

contact tab

Added: wait, do you mean the message that people can read after they've clicked the link with which to contact you via e-mail?

katalin contact page

I think you should have more reasonable expectations -- very few people who visit this contact page will actually read all of the text on that page. Also, the fact that a message form has opened up implies that it is okay to use the message form. It's a bit counter-intuitive for people to have to look for a "do not contact me via the profile's contact form" message on the profile's contact form. It's like having a doorbell with a message underneath it "please knock, do not use the doorbell".

[Edited at 2019-12-19 10:09 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Dec 19, 2019

I'm not sure what your problem is with the agency that doesn't heed your requests.
To my mind, it's the equivalent to a glaring typo in your profile, you can see straightaway that there's no point trying to work with these people. They're basically letting you know now that they don't care how you operate, it's up to you to adjust to them. You don't need to wonder whether they'll pay attention to your terms of payment for example!
So I would simply ignore requests that don't comply w
... See more
I'm not sure what your problem is with the agency that doesn't heed your requests.
To my mind, it's the equivalent to a glaring typo in your profile, you can see straightaway that there's no point trying to work with these people. They're basically letting you know now that they don't care how you operate, it's up to you to adjust to them. You don't need to wonder whether they'll pay attention to your terms of payment for example!
So I would simply ignore requests that don't comply with mine.

If they have something interesting to offer, I might just think they didn't have time to read my profile properly and respond with a "please could we transfer over to email since I prefer that" but if they're rude back, I'll just ignore them.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Dec 19, 2019

Thank you for your replies, Samuel.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
When I log in, the homepage looks like: all white page with only the texts of the homepage written the same red fonts in a weird distorted layout. Nothing else can be seen.

This sounds like what happens when a web page does not load fully before the browser decides to display it. The browser fails to load the linked style sheet (which is why all the letters use the same font and why the background is white) and often also fails to load some or all of the images.

This could be caused by a slow internet connection or by the fact that your browser is over eager to display the page before it is fully loaded. When it happens, one should try to reload the page or try to load it in a new tab.

Speed is usually around: 72 Mbps

Samuel Murray wrote: If someone clicks on the contact tab of my profile, this request should be seen:
Please review the following note from your intended recipient before sending this message..."

Interesting -- as far as I can tell, I'm not able to add such a notice to my profile page's contact tab. Can you tell us what steps you took to be able to edit it? I can only opt to either show or not show various contact options, but I can't add a special message:

contact tab

Added: wait, do you mean the message that people can read after they've clicked the link with which to contact you via e-mail?

katalin contact page

I think you should have more reasonable expectations -- very few people who visit this contact page will actually read all of the text on that page. Also, the fact that a message form has opened up implies that it is okay to use the message form. It's a bit counter-intuitive for people to have to look for a "do not contact me via the profile's contact form" message on the profile's contact form. It's like having a doorbell with a message underneath it "please knock, do not use the doorbell".

[Edited at 2019-12-19 10:09 GMT] [/quote]

Once I added a screenshot image on my bio (with the obvious instructions: I put a cross in the contact tab and wrote in screenshot not to contact me there, only by email), and that image was became missing (deleted by whom I don't know). Then I put that same image in my Email/Website tab.

But wait a minute...
Why did you delete the data from the contact page?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin Dec 19, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
This could be caused by a slow internet connection...

Speed is usually around: 72 Mbps

That's just an average. I should have said "a slow internet connection between your browser and the server that serves the page at that particular time".

I once added a screenshot image on my bio with the obvious instructions: I put a cross in the contact tab and wrote in screenshot not to contact me there, only by email...

I suppose one could do that, yes. But not all profile visitors scroll down to the bottom of the profile page before they decide to contact you.

But wait a minute...
Why did you delete the data from the contact page?

Do you mean, why do I redact personal information from screenshots that I post on public forums?

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Terms set by translators Dec 19, 2019

Kay Denney wrote:

So I would simply ignore requests that don't comply with mine.

If they have something interesting to offer, I might just think they didn't have time to read my profile properly and respond with a "please could we transfer over to email since I prefer that" but if they're rude back, I'll just ignore them.

@Kay

Thanks for your reply.
I usually do not reply to such agencies.. but this time I was really wondering whether they simply ignored what I wrote on my profile or they cannot really see it (technically).
Because they viewed my profile 3 times.
So I was really thinking: do they really cannot see what I wrote in my Bio?

1. They wrote via proz.com contact tab.
2. They asked my CV.
3. They wanted a revision of an MT project.

I had no clue they would answer this:
"Are you serious?
Register on another platform if you don’t want to be contacted by translation agencies or don’t work at all. Kind regards"

The above sentence implies as if they had a kind privileged status on proz.com and they can tell translators to register on another platform or not work at all if translators set their own terms.
I answered that I never wrote that I didn't want to be contacted by translation agencies, I just wrote my terms on my profile how and when to contact me.

[Edited at 2019-12-19 11:06 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Dec 19, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

Do you mean, why do I redact personal information from screenshots that I post on public forums?

Updated:

Now I see. You made the first screenshot of your own profile and the 2nd screenshot was my profile.
This was confusing. I thought both screenshots were my profile.

[Edited at 2019-12-19 11:04 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Expectations ... Dec 19, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

I think you should have more reasonable expectations -- very few people who visit this contact page will actually read all of the text on that page.

Beside my message on my contact page this data should be seen also. See below.
So I don't know how it can be missed that I would like to be contacted by email.
____________________________________________________________-

Full name Katalin Szilárd
User name KatalinSzilárd
Company name I don't have a Facebook account either.
Country Hungary
Address

PLEASE, DO NOT USE the CONTACT tab, write directly to: katszi @ protonmail . com
I don't accept ProZPay payments.
I don't have a TM town account.

City katszi @ protonmail . com
Postal code --
Phone number ----
Your website https://katalinszilardhungarianspecializedtranslations.wordpress.com/

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How are your cookie settings? Dec 20, 2019

If you have to log on repeatedly could it be you don't allow cookies? Just guessing.
If I were to search for translators for a project I would use the proz.com search feature and send my request to all linguists that the system provides. I would not read their individual profiles. (But I would not ask for your CV either).
Thunderbird sends mail from known spammers to the spam folder, so most of these go there at once.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Heinrich Dec 20, 2019

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you have to log on repeatedly could it be you don't allow cookies? Just guessing.
If I were to search for translators for a project I would use the proz.com search feature and send my request to all linguists that the system provides. I would not read their individual profiles. (But I would not ask for your CV either).
Thunderbird sends mail from known spammers to the spam folder, so most of these go there at once.

Thank you for your reply, Heinrich.

I don't think it was a cookie problem because sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
Today it is working the same way I used to use the site before September.
And today when I logged in I didn't see that demo version of the homepage either.
Although in Proz Find search my "Recent searches you've appeared in" tab is still missing, actually it is missing since September (around the time when the new homepage was announced).

I would never use the send my request to all linguists. This usually means the client belongs to the low-end market, not really interested in quality and usually he/she is looking for cheap translators. Almost all such requests start with "send your best rate"... usually these clients have no time or will to read profiles thoroughly enough to pick the best quality, but they choose the low or the lowest rates. I almost never react on these emails. Actually never did, since September something is going on with my emails sent from proz.com. I receive only a very few job emails (1-2/month) and sometimes notifications are also not received. For example now I didn't receive a notification of this post of yours. I wouldn't know that you wrote if I didn't check this thread. It is not my email provider that is causing the problem. And there are no proz related emails in my spam folder either.

Liangxuan Liu
Liangxuan Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
That's right. Dec 20, 2019

That's right.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Serious technical (?) issues....

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »