First ProZ.com Mobile contest is on! (Submission ends Sunday, May 20)
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
May 16, 2018

Dear members,

The first ProZ.com Mobile translation contest (Beta) is on!

This contest is the first mobile-only contest. This means that to participate either with an entry o
... See more

Dear members,

The first ProZ.com Mobile translation contest (Beta) is on!

This contest is the first mobile-only contest. This means that to participate either with an entry or with your vote(s), you must download and install the ProZ.com Mobile app in a mobile device --the app is provided as a free service to all ProZ.com users (for more information click here).

How is the contest structured?

For now, mobile translation contests will consist of three phases:

1. SUBMISSION PHASE: contest participants are invited to submit a translation of a proposed source text into as many languages as they want.

2. VOTING PHASE: colleagues are invited to vote for what they think is the best entry in each pair (participants are also encouraged to vote!).

3. ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS: the entry that receives the highest number of votes in each pair wins.

Both the submission phase and the voting phase are open. And while entries will only be accepted until 23:59 GMT, May 20, voting will be extended until 23:59, May 23.

Important: some users may see May 21 for the submission deadline and May 24 for the voting deadline, but this is only because the app may extend periods for a few minutes depending on the user's time zone. So deadlines will still be the end of the day of May 20 and May 23 for everyone.

Since this is a first approach to ProZ.com mobile contests, only one source English text is being proposed, a very short one. Eventually, mobile contests may be extended to support source texts in other languages as well as other contest options (rating, commenting, etc.)

How will winners be determined?

Winners of this first contest will be determined by the number of votes/likes their entries receive --one winner will be determined in each language pair, provided the pair has at least two entries and one of them receives a higher number of votes than the other.

Prizes include:

• A digital certificate and recognition within the community (public announcement and exposure).
  • Access to a self-paced training on project management, marketing techniques or business skills.
  • A ProZ.com gift of your choice.

Why participate?

✔ Because you can do it at any time from your phone or tablet.
✔ Because it represents an opportunity to test and hone your translation skills with fellow translators.
✔ Because it’s fun!

Since this is the first contest run on mobile, feedback will be much appreciated. To leave your comments and suggestions, please use this form: https://goo.gl/forms/8ZeZDFnmxLUluyhG2

Experiencing issues? Need help with submitting your entry or with voting? To keep entries and votes anonymous, please contact me directly via email, [email protected].

For more information about ProZ.com Mobile visit the ProZ.com Mobile page.

Happy translating and good luck everyone!

Lucia
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Clarification on deadline needed May 17, 2018

Hi Lucia,

When is the deadline exactly?

For entry submission here you say May 20, while on the app is May 19. Also, what time and time zone?

The same applies to the voting phase: Here is May 23, on the app is May 22. Time and time zone are missing here as well, and for a site with a global audience this is an important piece of information.

And yes, I did use the form indicated in the announcement to propose a couple of suggestions but no ac
... See more
Hi Lucia,

For entry submission here you say May 20, while on the app is May 19. Also, what time and time zone?

The same applies to the voting phase: Here is May 23, on the app is May 22. Time and time zone are missing here as well, and for a site with a global audience this is an important piece of information.

And yes, I did use the form indicated in the announcement to propose a couple of suggestions but no action has been taken so either they have not been received or simply ignored, which would not surprise me.

In any case, it would be nice if you could please clarify the above.

Thank you!

[Edited at 2018-05-18 00:53 GMT]
Collapse

Aniza Borhan
Aniza Borhan  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 04:15
Member (2007)
English to Malay
+ ...
Can't Sign In to My Mobile App May 18, 2018

It keeps saying that I don't have enough privileges... What is that? I had no problem before...

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Entry submission open until 23:59 GMT, May 20 May 18, 2018

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

Hi Lucia,

Entry submission will be open until 23:59 GMT, May 20. Voting will be possible until until 23:59 GMT, May 23. I just updated my initial post to include this information and the app should be showing the correct date for you now. Thanks for pointing that out!

And yes, I did use the form indicated in the announcement to propose a couple of suggestions but no action has been taken so either they have not been received or simply ignored, which would not surprise me.

Thanks for taking the time to submit your feedback! The feedback form was made available on Wednesday, that is, two days ago. Suggestions or ideas for improvement entered there may not be applied for his contest, but for future versions. In general, updating an app is not a one-day task since even if updated in a few hours, app store review and approval take time. You and anyone sending feedback will be notified of any relevant changes applied. I promise.

Looking forward to your entry or vote!

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Please try uninstalling and re-installing the app May 18, 2018

Aniza Borhan wrote:

It keeps saying that I don't have enough privileges... What is that? I had no problem before...

Although I already contacted privately, Aniza, others may be having the same issue. So here is my reply...

ProZ.com developers are looking into this error message and trying to fix it, but in the meantime some users have reported that they were able to finally login after uninstalling and re-installing the app.

So, please, try that and let me know how it goes. Hope it helps!

Lucia

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you May 18, 2018

Thank you Lucia,

I appreciate your reply!

Jesús Miguel García Jiménez
Jesús Miguel García Jiménez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:15
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
iPhone app issue May 19, 2018

Hi,

When you submit a translation from iPhone, the application crashes and it won’t send it. I tried with two different iPhones and the result was the same. I had to use and Android phone to get it. For the next edition, try to fix that error, please.

Regards,

Jesús

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 21, 2018

I'm glad to read that you were able to submit your entry in the end, Jesús. And, yes, we've received a few reports of iOS crashes during the submission phase, but most of them were fixed by uninstalling and re-installing the app. Also, just to be sure, a new iOS app version was made available on the App Store recently to be sure that crashes were no longer an issue for contest participation.

Good luck to you too!

Lucia

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:15
English to Italian
Contextual submission AND voting? May 21, 2018

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

For now, mobile translation contests will consist of three phases:

1. SUBMISSION PHASE: contest participants are invited to submit a translation of a proposed source text into as many languages as they want.

2. VOTING PHASE: colleagues are invited to vote for what they think is the best entry in each pair (participants are also encouraged to vote!).

Based on what I've seen on the app, those two phases were overlapping and not separated? I'm asking because in that case, there is obviously going to be much more exposure (and therefore chances to get votes) based on the time of submission... In fact, in my language pair I've noticed a translation with 7 votes submitted on the 17th and then the others, published later, with less and less votes, which seems to suggest what I was saying above.

Besides, it seems quite obvious to me that a user who viewed all submissions on a certain date and expressed their vote won't be going back every x hours/days to check newer submissions (and potentially change their vote accordingly)...

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Contest submission and voting phases running since the beginning May 21, 2018

Hi Mirko,

Glad to see your name among participants too!

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Based on what I've seen on the app, those two phases were overlapping and not separated?

That's correct, Mirko. Voting was possible since the very beginning. This was so for several reasons, but mostly to give everyone the chance to participate not just by submitting an entry, but also by voting. And even if an entry has several votes from the beginning of the contest, voting is still open for two more days, plenty of time to receive a good number of votes --trust me, users are voting and they are doing so now more than during the submission phase.

Good luck to you too.

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First ProZ.com Mobile contest is on! (Submission ends Sunday, May 20)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »