Sarah Maidstone
Sarah Maidstone  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:35
Member (2020)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2020

I'm working in SDL Trados Studio 2019, trying to align two simple documents - a source and target language version of the same text. Both of the texts contained matching formatting before starting the alignment, however, in the "Alignment" view, there is no formatting in the target language text (bold, italics etc has disappeared). I may well be missing something really obvious, but I can't find a way to correct this formatting before confirming the alignment of the affected segments. I'd be gra... See more
I'm working in SDL Trados Studio 2019, trying to align two simple documents - a source and target language version of the same text. Both of the texts contained matching formatting before starting the alignment, however, in the "Alignment" view, there is no formatting in the target language text (bold, italics etc has disappeared). I may well be missing something really obvious, but I can't find a way to correct this formatting before confirming the alignment of the affected segments. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Sarah
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:35
English to Russian
You don't need formatting... Jan 24, 2020

...for the alignment purposes. You align texts for TM to be able to find a hit when you translate. It doesn't matter whether it is bold or not. The content is important, the appearance is irrelevant.

Sarah Maidstone
Sarah Maidstone  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:35
Member (2020)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 24, 2020

Thanks Stepan,

You're right, I was clearly having a can't-see-the-wood-for-the-trees moment!

I've since discovered that if I do need to edit the target text I just do it in a separate step in the editor after I've finished the alignment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to correct target formatting when aligning files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »