Subtitling software/application for online videos: any recommendation?
Thread poster: Elikapa
Elikapa
Elikapa
France
English to French
Aug 29, 2017

I am looking for a software/application to create subtitles on videos that I only have access to online. Any recommendation?
Thank you!

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Aug 30, 2017

Elikapa wrote:

I am looking for a software/application to create subtitles on videos that I only have access to online. Any recommendation?
Thank you!

I don't think such a tool exists. What you can do, however, is screen-capture (record) this online video and then work with the resulting video file in any of your offline subtitling tools.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Download Aug 30, 2017

There are also many offline tools (such as jDownloader) and online sites that make it possible to download most embedded videos, so that you can then work on your preferred subtitling tool.

Jean

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
VSO Downloader Aug 30, 2017

Try VSO Downloader - http://www.vso-software.fr/

Its detection engine is a bit tricky, but sometimes it works just fine.

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have you tried Amara? Oct 2, 2017

If your video has a direct link from Youtube or Vimeo, you can enter it on Amara's platform and it will let you create subtitles for that video. I'm still trying to figure out how (or IF it's possible) to upload your own videos so you can create subtitles for them. The platform is very user-friendly for novice subtitlers like myself.

EDIT: On second thought, the Amara platform may not be a good idea for videos that are intended to be kept private with confidential information
... See more
If your video has a direct link from Youtube or Vimeo, you can enter it on Amara's platform and it will let you create subtitles for that video. I'm still trying to figure out how (or IF it's possible) to upload your own videos so you can create subtitles for them. The platform is very user-friendly for novice subtitlers like myself.

EDIT: On second thought, the Amara platform may not be a good idea for videos that are intended to be kept private with confidential information

When you submit a video, it creates a public page for that video on Amara. On this page anyone (including you) can create captions and translations for the video. Be aware that the video will be visible for anyone and that it might show up in search engines like Google.
Amara is a free public service and videos subtitled with the use of Amara are not usually removed from the site after subtitling work has been finished, since this may destroy the results of other people's subtitling efforts.

[Edited at 2017-10-02 20:50 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling software/application for online videos: any recommendation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »