Terry Richards
France
Local time: 04:44
French to English
+ ...
Am I understanding this? Sep 28, 2006

You offered the job to the agency.
They accepted it.
They tried to farm it out to somebody else.
They couldn't find anybody that could do it.
They sent the job back saying they couldn't do it after all.
You are now mad at them because they didn't keep their promise.

Isn't this EXACTLY what YOU did to YOUR customer?

Terry.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
Very strange indeed Sep 28, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

tectranslate wrote:

What, you mean they didn't seem to understand what you wrote them, even though you did so repeatedly?

Strange.

Best tectranslate

'Tis hard to fathom indeed.

Yes, imagine that, can't for the life of me figure out why .......

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
And you're surprised it didn't work out? Sep 28, 2006

Michele Johnson wrote:

Let me see if I have understood this correctly: You, a professional with "over 20 years of translation experience," gave a gigantic, 250,000-word job to an agency with whom you have *never previously cooperated*, only "interacted" (which I take to mean "exchanged emails" or similar); an agency that doesn't speak the source language, on an extremely tight deadline? And you're surprised it didn't work out?

Precisely !!! .........

[Edited at 2006-09-28 21:12]

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
French to English
+ ...
Breach of contract in English law Sep 28, 2006

There seems to be a clear breach of contract on the agency's part, whether the contract was written - or part oral and part written. A job of this size really should have been covered by a properly drawn agreement.

If the contract was by instalments - and there may be documentation to that effect - there may be a severability issue i.e. the agency or you could pull out after an uncompleted stage. If non-severable, then it's all or nothing.

So, if the contract is or was
... See more
There seems to be a clear breach of contract on the agency's part, whether the contract was written - or part oral and part written. A job of this size really should have been covered by a properly drawn agreement.

If the contract was by instalments - and there may be documentation to that effect - there may be a severability issue i.e. the agency or you could pull out after an uncompleted stage. If non-severable, then it's all or nothing.

So, if the contract is or was governed by English law, again, consult a UK Solicitor. If not, visit your Rechtsanwalt/ anwältin soon.
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 22:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
A fine example of what happens when people get way out of their depth. Sep 29, 2006

Anyone who has no business acumen and/or is incapable of conversing intelligibly with their service-providers, in writing or on the phone, should expect major problems.

Incompetence in this business has 4 main consequences:

- You lose the job - and the corresponding income.

- You lose resources (agencies, subcontractors, colleagues, ...) now and for the future.

- You lose clients. Forever!

- And you bring discredit to our industry
... See more
Anyone who has no business acumen and/or is incapable of conversing intelligibly with their service-providers, in writing or on the phone, should expect major problems.

Incompetence in this business has 4 main consequences:

- You lose the job - and the corresponding income.

- You lose resources (agencies, subcontractors, colleagues, ...) now and for the future.

- You lose clients. Forever!

- And you bring discredit to our industry and our profession.

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2006-09-29 16:29]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have worked for this washington agency once in the past Oct 19, 2006

they played as though they are very good project managers. It is only now I suspect that this particular project manager is a minor and has no working experience. That project is gone and past now. Bad lesson, the money was not less, but the agency reaction took about 3 days to decide, then the time was lacking, and hence couldn´t guarantee timeframed completion, that was the final conclusion. On the net it is hard to assess the experience of a partner in work, all speak the same jargon, but th... See more
they played as though they are very good project managers. It is only now I suspect that this particular project manager is a minor and has no working experience. That project is gone and past now. Bad lesson, the money was not less, but the agency reaction took about 3 days to decide, then the time was lacking, and hence couldn´t guarantee timeframed completion, that was the final conclusion. On the net it is hard to assess the experience of a partner in work, all speak the same jargon, but the working lacks. My customer had received all the information from me and showed thorough understanding. Only today he came back with a part of the same project without pre-checking that he was contacting me, only to take back this part with a sorry. How should I feel now? Was it really my failure, or the supplier´s. Either way I think I have lost this good customer. Then the mistake is all mine and shall never contact this agency in washington ever again.Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-10-19 20:20]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when an agency fails you a UK question

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »