Translation of Book - Credits?
投稿者: AnaMV
AnaMV
AnaMV
英語 から スペイン語
Nov 14, 2006

Hi!
I need your help! I am about to sign a contract to translate a book (in US). I believe my company would be entitled to appear as the translator of the book. Does anybody know which would be the standard text that has to appear in the book? I.E: Spanish Translation by Ana Maria V, website address, email adress??
Also, how should I specify this in the contract? Thanks!!!!!!!

hsiao-tung
hsiao-tung
台湾
Local time: 12:39
中国語 から イタリア語
+ ...
PEN Translation Handbook Nov 15, 2006

Hi Ana Maria!
I don't know much about translation for publishing houses in the US, but maybe you could check the PEN website. At the following link: http://www.pen.org/page.php/prmID/271 you can find a HANDBOOK FOR LITERARY TRANSLATORS, where the issue of Negotiating a Contract is dealt with. You can also have a look at their Translator's Model Contract.
Hope it helps.
Good lu
... See more
Hi Ana Maria!
I don't know much about translation for publishing houses in the US, but maybe you could check the PEN website. At the following link: http://www.pen.org/page.php/prmID/271 you can find a HANDBOOK FOR LITERARY TRANSLATORS, where the issue of Negotiating a Contract is dealt with. You can also have a look at their Translator's Model Contract.
Hope it helps.
Good luck with your translation and have a great day!
Ciao,
Antonio

[Edited at 2006-11-15 09:35]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
オランダ
Local time: 06:39
2006に入会
英語 から アフリカーンス語
+ ...
Push for full details Nov 15, 2006

AnaMV wrote:
I believe my company would be entitled to appear as the translator of the book.

I recently reviewed some text for an agency -- it was a book, and in the credits the agency's name was already mentioned:

Translator: XYZ Translations

The agency's full name is in the form XYZ Translations Inc, but the ink was left off in the book's credits. The agency is South African, but even though the book is published in the UK, no mention of the country of origin of the "translator" was mentioned (nor any indication which might differentiate it from a British agency with the same name).

I found it strange that the address or country or registration number of the agency wasn't mentioned, but then it occurred to me that you won't mention those things with a single translator either, even if his name was literally "John Doe".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of Book - Credits?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »