Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Nizozemsko
Local time: 21:58
nizozemština -> turečtina
+ ...
I would not be so strict Nov 20, 2006

Hi,
Assume that you have a client and that client makes 30% of your year. Should they find someone else to edit?

I share the idea of not accepting editing project generally.
"Generally" does not mean allways. So you should be open to accept at least from some of the clients. You may want to see the text before you accept. This way you can inform your client(s) whether it falls into editing or retranslation.

Am I too customer oriented?

Good luck
... See more
Hi,
Assume that you have a client and that client makes 30% of your year. Should they find someone else to edit?

I share the idea of not accepting editing project generally.
"Generally" does not mean allways. So you should be open to accept at least from some of the clients. You may want to see the text before you accept. This way you can inform your client(s) whether it falls into editing or retranslation.

Am I too customer oriented?

Good luck

Nizam
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Indie
Local time: 01:28
Člen (2008)
angličtina -> hindština
+ ...
Sometimes proofreading consumes more time than translation! Nov 20, 2006

I also don't like proofreading and editing the translation done by ohters except two translators whose quality of translation is satisfactory. Sometimes, I receive badly translated texts and I find that it will take more time in editing or correcting them than translating the same again!

I generally accept jobs for proofreading after seeing the translation. If the translation quality is poor, I politely reject such jobs because dealing with them is nothing but sheer headache.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
In memoriam
When are we going to start using a common vocabulary? Nov 20, 2006

Reviewing, checking, editing, proofreading etc. etc???

As others have suggested, the term proofreading seems to be misunderstood. As I understand it, the three prime areas in our business are:

1. Translation. Done by translators.

2. Review. Done by translators.

("Reviewers should carry out linguistic review with the following in mind:
- Consistency
- Style
- Terminology accuracy
- Glossary compliance ... See more
Reviewing, checking, editing, proofreading etc. etc???

As others have suggested, the term proofreading seems to be misunderstood. As I understand it, the three prime areas in our business are:

1. Translation. Done by translators.

2. Review. Done by translators.

("Reviewers should carry out linguistic review with the following in mind:
- Consistency
- Style
- Terminology accuracy
- Glossary compliance
- Reference material compliance
- Instruction compliance (e.g., style guide adherence, “do not translate” list observance, etc.)
- Country-specific standards (e.g., time and date formats, measurements, currency, etc.)"

3. Proofreading. Done by translators or native proofreaders. This is the final check of a document that is going to be published (i.e. in print or on the web). It does not involve the aspects of reviewing listed above and should confine itself to things like incorrect line breaks, punctuation glitches, font foul-ups. Any changes to the final text as such should be kept to an absolute minimum and only implemented in the case of errors like incorrect spelling, doubled words etc.

(Britannica: "reading and marking corrections on a *proof or other copy of the text of articles and books before *publication.")

Or am I singing from a unique songsheet?

Cheers
Chris

As for the question - just let me translate, please;-).

[Edited at 2006-11-20 12:01]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Bye bye proofreading... Nov 20, 2006

Textklick wrote:

Or am I singing from a unique songsheet?

Not at all. But those of us who know what "proofreading" actually means are now in a minority. If a term is used incorrectly by the majority, does that make that usage correct?

Marc

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 20:58
Člen (2004)
angličtina -> italština
AUTOR TÉMATU
proofreading/revision/editing... Nov 20, 2006

you know, all of that...

I just used proofreading because I didn't want to scare anybody off and it's a widely understood concept. And, yes, misused.

G

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Německo
němčina -> angličtina
I'm with you, Chris Nov 22, 2006

Textklick wrote:

3. Proofreading. Done by translators or native proofreaders. This is the final check of a document that is going to be published (i.e. in print or on the web). It does not involve the aspects of reviewing listed above and should confine itself to things like incorrect line breaks, punctuation glitches, font foul-ups. Any changes to the final text as such should be kept to an absolute minimum and only implemented in the case of errors like incorrect spelling, doubled words etc.

(Britannica: "reading and marking corrections on a *proof or other copy of the text of articles and books before *publication.")
[/quote]

Having worked inhouse at a printing service provider and several magazines and newspapers in a past life, proof-reading was done on the camera-ready proof before it goes to printing.
Ideally editing is done on the text before it goes to the translator (! unfortunately not done nearly as often as it should be), and after the translator's review -- before proofreading and after editor's changes are approved and carried out. But which company/agency has the time anymore for this level of quality?

sylvie

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bye bye proofreading...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »