Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3] >
Bad experience with 2 Japanese translators. Please tell us what we should do.
Автор темы: ksbtranslation
ksbtranslation
ksbtranslation  Identity Verified
Индонезия
Local time: 05:21
индонезийский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
The agency has reminded the 1st translator of this tight deadline several times. May 30, 2007

Nicole Johnson wrote:

is the fact that the deadline was so tight. Surely this was part of the problem. If one translator did the job alone, and IF he had a full 48 hours to complete the translation (which I doubt was the case), that would mean he would have to do 3000-3500 words per day (which is feasible, but difficult, in my opinion). However, this would leave the agency very little time for proofreading and checking the final translation.

We understand this situation. Right after the 1st translator offerred to do the whole project alone, we reminded him of this tight deadline.

Perhaps in the future, you can stress to your clients the importance of allowing the translators a sufficient amount of time to translate the text so that they can be ensured a quality product. This of course would mean they would have to do a little bit of planning around their translation jobs.

We cannot push the client to do what we want. Most of the orders are rush jobs. This client, in particular, has stressed this in her email: We will NOT pay you if deadline is not met !!!!

I often wonder how people who expect translators to churn out a ridiculous amount of material in a short period of time think they will end up with the best possible product. I believe one of the duties of translation agencies should also be to help clients plan their translation projects in such a way as to end up with a good-quality translation with minimal stress for everyone involved.

I agree with you. But some clients put the speed and rate on top priority. Quality is number two.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:21
итальянский => английский
+ ...
Памяти
What's your question, really? May 30, 2007

ksbtranslation wrote:

Please tell us what we should do. This is our first experience.

Iwan
KSBTranslation.com

I've read the entire forum and, at this point, fail to understand what it is you REALLY want to know. You've been let down miserably by two totally unprofessional translators, yet continue to defend them and are even concerned with "protecting" their reputation. (The reason you'd want to do that is totally beyond me.)
The point is that you have already said you'd rather lose the customer than a "quality" translator. There you go, decision made. Say goodbye to the customer, give your translators a smile and hug, and hope and pray they don't let you down again (though I wouldn't count on it).
You can offer the best quality in the world, but if you turn in a job 3 days after the book has gone to press (for example), it's completely useless.
In the end, you are to blame for (1) underestimating the amount of time needed for the translation when you first negotiated it with your customer; (2) allowing Translator 1 to "insist" when you clearly knew that he was totally out of his field; (3) not issuing a PO to Translator 2 (did you even have the translator do a test translation?).
Catherine

[Edited at 2007-05-30 06:19]

ksbtranslation
Индонезия
+ ...
Автор темы
This is what I want to know May 30, 2007

cbolton wrote:
I've read the entire forum and, at this point, fail to understand what it is you REALLY want to know. You've been let down miserably by two totally unprofessional translators, yet continue to defend them and are even concerned with "protecting" their reputation.

Here is the situation. Just imagine that you are a boss. You have the best employee in your office who is an asset for your company. Your customers adore him. You make a lot of profit because of him. However, he asks you too much. You cannot complain when he is absent for trivial matters. Then you have this situation in which your company's image will become tarnish because of him. What should you do? Fire him? Or you will try to defend him?

In the end, you are to blame for (1) underestimating the amount of time needed for the translation when you first negotiated it with your customer;

I admitted from the beginning that this job should be split. That is why I contacted 4 translators to collaborate.

(2) allowing Translator 1 to "insist" when you clearly knew that he was totally out of his field;

Yeah...this is my fault. But I trusted him because I knew his capability in many areas.

(3) not issuing a PO to Translator 2 (did you even have the translator do a test translation?).

I have issued a PO to him. I could have sued him. But I do not want to do that. I still need him in other projects.

[Edited at 2007-05-30 06:59]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2002
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Educate, or get rid of, your customer May 30, 2007

ksbtranslation wrote:

cbolton wrote: In the end, you are to blame for (1) underestimating the amount of time needed for the translation when you first negotiated it with your customer;

I admitted from the beginning that this job should be split. That is why I contacted 4 translators to collaborate.

Translators' (non-)performance aside, I strongly believe that you actually ARE in a position to educate your customer along the lines of what Nicole Johnson wrote before. You just need to ensure for each and every assignment that there is (more than) sufficient time to do and deliver the translation. Do include some backup time in your schedule to avoid any unforeseen complications. If your customer fails to get this message (i.e. providing for a reasonable timeline), that's probably the right time to get rid of him.

My two cents' worth,

Steffen

[Edited at 2007-05-30 07:03]

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Австралия
Local time: 08:21
английский => китайский
+ ...
Simple solution May 30, 2007

ksbtranslation wrote:
We cannot push the client to do what we want. Most of the orders are rush jobs. This client, in particular, has stressed this in her email: We will NOT pay you if deadline is not met !!!!

Easy...drop the client!

I really think the better agencies don't take on rush jobs if they have even the slightest doubt that they'll be able to deliver quality on time. Rush jobs are just not worth the hassle. Good clients know that quality costs and it takes time and they are prepared to hand that over to agencies. Those are the clients you want:)
Mark

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
немецкий => французский
+ ...
My 2 cents May 30, 2007

I think you came to the situation of being so dependant of one individual that you prefer loosing clients than loosing him.
That's pretty dangerous.

What will you do if this translator now recognize himself here and thinks "they can't make without me, next time I can try to increase my rate by 300%".

If I were a boss in your case, I would warn him and prepare my back (look for similarly qualified translators and start to test them on small assignments) so that the
... See more
I think you came to the situation of being so dependant of one individual that you prefer loosing clients than loosing him.
That's pretty dangerous.

What will you do if this translator now recognize himself here and thinks "they can't make without me, next time I can try to increase my rate by 300%".

If I were a boss in your case, I would warn him and prepare my back (look for similarly qualified translators and start to test them on small assignments) so that the next time it happens (and it will of this translator starts to think you are at his mercy), fire him and replace him with the other translator you tested.

I am here always being told that a boss will never be able to be the best friend of an employee. The fact that you adore him so much to be dependant of him is a receipt of disaster in the long term.

A boss has to try to see clearly, defend the translator if he did a good job and the client is in a bad mood, defend the client if it is clear that he didn't even follow your instructions.

Your other point: when I tell the translator that he has to answer until 2 because it is urgent (I usually pick the phone to check he/she checks the e-mail timely) and at 2.30 there is no answer yet, sorry the job is then gone. I would surely not wait until 8 for his answer.

[Edited at 2007-05-30 07:18]
Collapse

ksbtranslation
Индонезия
+ ...
Автор темы
Thanks for your good advice May 30, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

If I were a boss in your case, I would warn it and prepare my back (look for similarly qualified translators and start to test them on small assignments) so that the next time it happens (and it will of this translator starts to think you are at his mercy), fire him and replace him with the other translator you tested.

I am here always being told that a boss will never be able to be the best friend of an employee. The fact that you adore him so much to be dependant of him is a receipt of disaster in the long term.

A boss has to try to see clearly, defend the translator if he did a good job and the client is in a bad mood, defend the client if it is clear that he didn't even follow your instructions.

This is a good advice. Thanks, Yolande.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
итальянский => английский
+ ...
Памяти
That's my point! May 30, 2007

ksbtranslation wrote:

Here is the situation. Just imagine that you are a boss. You have the best employee in your office who is an asset for your company. Your customers adore him. You make a lot of profit because of him. However, he asks you too much. You cannot complain when he is absent for trivial matters. Then you have this situation in which your company's image will become tarnish because of him. What should you do? Fire him? Or you will try to defend him?

A boss, employee, translator or whatever who lets you down THAT BADLY is certainly NOT an asset for your company. If anything he's a HUGE liability. He's not the only good translator in the world, so I'd jettison him. The next job you give him you'll be biting your nails to the quick wondering if he'll deliver on time - if at all! And this time it might be for a customer you can't afford to lose.
You say that an agency without good translators can't operate. By the same token, an agency without customers goes out of business very quickly!
Catherine

ksbtranslation
Индонезия
+ ...
Автор темы
Thanks May 30, 2007

Thanks for everyone who gave their good comments in this topic. I should end this conversation now. FYI, the respective client has been informed to read this thread.

[Edited at 2007-05-30 07:29]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Нидерланды
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => африкаанс
+ ...
My (non-agency) comments May 30, 2007

ksbtranslation wrote:
The client placed this order on May 27 dan the job must be completed on May 29 at 8:00 GMT.

That's a very short time in which to do the work. For jobs this urgent, it may be best to take the first available translator.

I agreed to assign him the whole project, provided that he could confirm it to me before 10 a.m. on that day if he changed his mind. ... Around 11 am I received an email from another translator who could do the whole project too.

Good. The first translator did not reply by the agreed time, therefore he is no longer in the running. The second translator was now the "first available" translator.

He said that he had to start the project all over again because he found that the files already translated by the previous translator had different legal terms (...this file was sent to us 2 hours before the deadline).

You should not have confused the second translator by sending him more stuff which complicate his job. If the client had wanted you to follow the earlier terminology, he should have given you the file in advance.

In fact I had told the translator that he should not be worried with such differences and just did the best he could. I was so surpised to find that he had erased all the work he had done in the last minutes without informing me.

And this is unprofessional of the translator. He has a deadline to reach. If the client comes later with additional requirements that can't be met within the same deadline, then he should say so and complete the job according to the original requirements.

Kristaps Otrups
Kristaps Otrups
Латвия
Local time: 01:21
английский => латышский
+ ...
Am I even on Earth May 30, 2007

ksbtranslation wrote:

I was so surpised to find that he had erased all the work he had done in the last minutes without informing me.

Seriously? Sorry, but I hope you realize that your translator either blatantly lied about this (most likely), or he's just kind of an idiot. Who the hell deletes a translation that they're supposed to submit on the same day, even if it is incomplete? What's the motivation there? To save 200 KB on his hard drive? I still have all my translations saved from when I first started working.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Индонезия
Член ProZ.com
английский => индонезийский
+ ...
make up your mind May 30, 2007

cbolton wrote:

ksbtranslation wrote:

Please tell us what we should do. This is our first experience.

Iwan
KSBTranslation.com

I've read the entire forum and, at this point, fail to understand what it is you REALLY want to know. You've been let down miserably by two totally unprofessional translators, yet continue to defend them and are even concerned with "protecting" their reputation. (The reason you'd want to do that is totally beyond me.)
The point is that you have already said you'd rather lose the customer than a "quality" translator. There you go, decision made. Say goodbye to the customer, give your translators a smile and hug, and hope and pray they don't let you down again (though I wouldn't count on it).
You can offer the best quality in the world, but if you turn in a job 3 days after the book has gone to press (for example), it's completely useless.
In the end, you are to blame for (1) underestimating the amount of time needed for the translation when you first negotiated it with your customer; (2) allowing Translator 1 to "insist" when you clearly knew that he was totally out of his field; (3) not issuing a PO to Translator 2 (did you even have the translator do a test translation?).
Catherine

[Edited at 2007-05-30 06:19]

i have to agree with catherine on this. from your statement 'I'd rather lose a client than quality translator', it seems that you have made up your mind. you don't need answers/suggestions, you only need confirmation.

Arturo Delgado
Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 18:21
английский => испанский
Why are you asking? May 30, 2007

Clients should come first. If you have already decided that you would rather lose your client than your translator, then you don't need us to tell you what to do. You are revealing the professionalism of your agency, though.
I once got a plumber who had over 15 years of experience. However, he was not professional (he came late, left the area where he worked dirty, started to swear as he got frustrated with the job, tried to add more charges when he was done). Being experienced is not
... See more
Clients should come first. If you have already decided that you would rather lose your client than your translator, then you don't need us to tell you what to do. You are revealing the professionalism of your agency, though.
I once got a plumber who had over 15 years of experience. However, he was not professional (he came late, left the area where he worked dirty, started to swear as he got frustrated with the job, tried to add more charges when he was done). Being experienced is not the same as being professional.
Good luck,
Arturo
Collapse

ksbtranslation
Индонезия
+ ...
Автор темы
No answer yet May 31, 2007

Arturo Delgado wrote:
Clients should come first.

Indeed. I agree with you. If I said "I'd rather lose one client...", it does not mean I underestimate all of our clients. This is because I do not want to lose my translator either. It's a difficult choice.

If you have already decided that you would rather lose your client than your translator, then you don't need us to tell you what to do.

I have not made any decision yet. No matter what the 1st translator has done to our agency, we still need him in other projects. It is quite difficult nowadays to find anyone with the same qualification. He also has joined us for a long time.

However, I will think about Yolande's advice:

If I were a boss in your case, I would warn it and prepare my back (look for similarly qualified translators and start to test them on small assignments) so that the next time it happens (and it will of this translator starts to think you are at his mercy), fire him and replace him with the other translator you tested.

But I do wish that what Catherine said would never happen:

The next job you give him you'll be biting your nails to the quick wondering if he'll deliver on time - if at all! And this time it might be for a customer you can't afford to lose.
You say that an agency without good translators can't operate. By the same token, an agency without customers goes out of business very quickly!

ksbtranslation
Индонезия
+ ...
Автор темы
This is not my idea May 31, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Good. The first translator did not reply by the agreed time, therefore he is no longer in the running. The second translator was now the "first available" translator.

I should have done it. But who knows what happens next

You should not have confused the second translator by sending him more stuff which complicate his job. If the client had wanted you to follow the earlier terminology, he should have given you the file in advance.

This is not my idea. The request was made by the 2nd translator himself several hours before the deadline and forwarded to the client at the same time. However, since we are 7 hours ahead the client replied with the file 2 hours before the deadline.

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad experience with 2 Japanese translators. Please tell us what we should do.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »