Professional indemnity insurance in Italy?
Autor de la hebra: Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
italiano al inglés
+ ...
Jun 4, 2007

Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting professional indemnity insurance (due to a rather severe contract I've signed). I'm in Italy and I'm a freelance. Have any other freelance translators in Italy done this, and if so, what kind of premiums are you paying? I know the premium depends on the level of cover I'd need, which I imagine would be up to half a million euro - but really I'm just picking that number out of the air.
Any replies gratefully appreciated.
Colm

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:35
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
General advice Jun 4, 2007

Hi Colm,

Can't help with specific input on PI insurance in Italy, but as you mention you've already signed the contract you require cover for, I thought I'd mention a new policy wouldn't necessarily cover existing risks, so just make sure before actually taking the policy out, ok?

Another way of limiting liability (and a possible way to counteract the need for hefty PI insurance) in future would be to limit your liability - on any grounds whatsoever - to the invo
... See more
Hi Colm,

Can't help with specific input on PI insurance in Italy, but as you mention you've already signed the contract you require cover for, I thought I'd mention a new policy wouldn't necessarily cover existing risks, so just make sure before actually taking the policy out, ok?

Another way of limiting liability (and a possible way to counteract the need for hefty PI insurance) in future would be to limit your liability - on any grounds whatsoever - to the invoice amount for the job in question in your own set of business terms and conditions which are binding on the client.

Keep well
Deborah

[Edited at 2007-06-04 21:40]
Collapse

Isabel Booth
Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
italiano al inglés
Aiti Jun 4, 2007

Hi Colm
Hope you are OK.
I know AITI offer cover for their members - see their website for details.
You would have to get into AITI first though....
Take Care - Isabel

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italia
italiano al inglés
In Memoriam
Watch out for the "validità territoriale" clause Jun 4, 2007

Hi Colm,

Not so long ago, I asked my insurer, an agent for a major Italian company, for a quote on a PI policy.

He was only too happy to provide one but could only offer cover for countries in Europe not currently engaged in wars or revolutions. Since a fair whack of my work comes from the more peaceful parts of America, this was not the best of news.

If I remember correctly, the restriction is an industry-wide one and applies to all such policies stipulate
... See more
Hi Colm,

Not so long ago, I asked my insurer, an agent for a major Italian company, for a quote on a PI policy.

He was only too happy to provide one but could only offer cover for countries in Europe not currently engaged in wars or revolutions. Since a fair whack of my work comes from the more peaceful parts of America, this was not the best of news.

If I remember correctly, the restriction is an industry-wide one and applies to all such policies stipulated in Europe.

FWIW

Giles
Collapse

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
italiano al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks to all! Jun 5, 2007

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your answers. (Hi Isabel! Sorry I haven't written... been snowed under with work...

That's a very good point about not being able to insure an existing risk - I hadn't thought of that. Probably an insurer would be very wary indeed seeing as I've already signed the darn contract. Silly me.

I'll look into the AITI...
Colm

[Editado a las 2007-06-05 06:54]

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 20:35
italiano al inglés
Be wary Jun 6, 2007

Hi Colin. Pls be very wary of insurance companies especially in Italy. Some of my colleagues have got some "hassles" from signing bad or even fake insurance policies.

Rob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional indemnity insurance in Italy?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »