De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Nederland
Local time: 09:35
Engels naar Nederlands
Feb 7, 2008

Hi all,

Recently, I've received some emails from a lady at a translation agency. The first one read:

'As you know, it's important that freelancers register with a number of agencies to ensure a constant flow of work.

There's a page on our website which we list other translation agencies, I just thought it worth sharing it with you in case you'd like to register with them as well.'

I deleted this one and never really thought about it again, un
... See more
Hi all,

Recently, I've received some emails from a lady at a translation agency. The first one read:

'As you know, it's important that freelancers register with a number of agencies to ensure a constant flow of work.

There's a page on our website which we list other translation agencies, I just thought it worth sharing it with you in case you'd like to register with them as well.'

I deleted this one and never really thought about it again, until yesterday, when I received another email from the same address.

'Firstly, sorry for sending you so many emails recently but we are working really hard to try to help our freelancers.

My boss has asked me to contact freelancers who have registered with to get their feedback on few things. Would you be prepared to help me keep him happy please?

All I need you to do is click on the link below and answer a few questions. If you are shy, you don’t even need to give your name. You might find it quite fun actually; I like the question about the three wishes'

According to the email, this is NOT spam, as I apparently 'signed up to be included in our database of freelancers'. I've signed up with a lot of agencies and I can't remember if this was one of them.

Now, an agency that is actually working really hard to try to help freelancers, isn't that strange? Sounds a bit suspicious to me. Has anyone else received these emails? I'm happy to give you the name of this agency, just send me an email.

Thanks,
Marion
Collapse

Zamira B.
Zamira B.  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 08:35
Lid 2006
Engels naar Russisch
+ ...
Me Feb 7, 2008

Marion Rooijmans wrote:
Has anyone else received these emails? I'm happy to give you the name of this agency, just send me an email.
Thanks,
Marion

I have received the second email. I actually like this agency and did not think it was a scam. I remember getting a message from the same person suggesting to get registered with other agencies and my feeling was that the person was trying to be friendly/helpful.

Zamira

Edit: I just checked my mails and found the following in the email from the same person

"P.S. I occasionally send out hints and tips concerning translation and interpreting to a list of people who have contacted us and who I feel may like to receive them. If, for any reason, you would like me not to send you any more emails simply let me know by clicking on the link below"

It should be safe I think.

[Edited at 2008-02-07 11:24]

[Edited at 2008-02-07 11:25]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italiaans naar Engels
+ ...
Be suspicious Feb 7, 2008

I've not received an email like this, but I think you're right to be suspicious. If you want to check out whether it's genuine, you could do a Google search for the agency concerned and enter their website that way - then you'd also be able to see if they really do have these questions on it.

I'd be very surprised if a translation agency (as opposed to an association of translators or the like) had a list of other agencies - i
... See more
I've not received an email like this, but I think you're right to be suspicious. If you want to check out whether it's genuine, you could do a Google search for the agency concerned and enter their website that way - then you'd also be able to see if they really do have these questions on it.

I'd be very surprised if a translation agency (as opposed to an association of translators or the like) had a list of other agencies - i.e. the competition - on their website. It sounds very unlikely to me.

[edits: sorry, Zamira's post wasn't visible when I wrote the above.]

[Edited at 2008-02-07 11:16]
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Engels naar Frans
same Feb 7, 2008

Hi, Marion,

I received the same mail asking to click on a link (but did not reveived any before). Since this agency is in the Blueboard with very good comments, I cliked on the link provided and arrived on a survey page. Questions are indeed about what should be done to make the translator's life easier. I did not answer... (I have never worked for this agency, so why bother ?).

Stéphanie

José Miguel Braña Montaña
José Miguel Braña Montaña  Identity Verified
Spanje
Lid 2007
Frans naar Spaans
+ ...
Not scam, but... Feb 7, 2008

Hi everyone,

I've received both emails and, even if I remember having registered with this agency, I found these messages suspicious. However, I do not think they are scam, as they give you the option to unsuscribe and stop receiving them (please see the bottom line of the email).

I agree with Stéphanie, if I have not received any translation project from them, why should I bother answering their questions (maybe I am just shy?!).

Miguel

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazilië
Local time: 04:35
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
In memoriam
I answered it Feb 7, 2008

It was a short, 11-item questionnaire. They seem to be willing to improve, possibly from having found the translators they'd like to hire always busy.

I guess every translator has some clients or agencies for which they'll always find time to squeeze in yet another (urgent?) job, and these people want to be one of them.

Just wishful thinking... I never worked for them either.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi-Arabië
Local time: 10:35
Engels naar Arabisch
+ ...
Scam or not, your data will be archived! Feb 7, 2008

Marion Rooijmans wrote:

All I need you to do is click on the link below and answer a few questions. If you are shy, you don’t even need to give your name. You might find it quite fun actually; I like the question about the three wishes'

Whether such mail is scam or not once you click such link at least your Name, email address...etc will be transferred to their web server by virtue of enabled cookies that are always misused.

Accordingly you have to decide to click or not.

One more thing, I recommend not clicking any link within a suspicious email. Instead, copy/past link in browser so you can avoid fake URL text (www.whatsoeverinuniverse.com may transfer you to an entirely different location/IP address that belongs to hackers or warez sites) which always happens with fake Moneybookers and Paypal URLs.

Regards

zsuzsa369 (X)
zsuzsa369 (X)
Local time: 08:35
Engels naar Hongaars
+ ...
I know this agency... Feb 7, 2008

...or rather, I know of them, as I 've never actually worked with them. I registered with them a while back but they haven't sent me any work so far. I've received this e-mail as well and it didn't occur to me that I should be suspicious in any way.

The link takes you to a genuine questionnaire, asking you to provide feedback about the agency and generally your experiences as a freelancer. I don't think there's anything dodgy about them, to be honest. They are present on Proz an
... See more
...or rather, I know of them, as I 've never actually worked with them. I registered with them a while back but they haven't sent me any work so far. I've received this e-mail as well and it didn't occur to me that I should be suspicious in any way.

The link takes you to a genuine questionnaire, asking you to provide feedback about the agency and generally your experiences as a freelancer. I don't think there's anything dodgy about them, to be honest. They are present on Proz and their website looks 100% legitimate to me. I think they are just an agency trying to do things a bit differently.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam? Strange email asking to click on a link

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »