Anyone have Dongle Driver for TW Freelance 5.5?
Thread poster: Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2003

Hi,
I'm here in the States, but my installation CD is presumably at home in Taiwan, and I had to install Trados to the new computer after the old one died rather thoroughly. I had a zip file with the "demo" version of 5.5 on it, so that's fine, but I cannot find the dongle driver. Can anyone with 5.5 mail me the dongle driver itself? I do have a legal USB dongle for the program (obviously). I'm running Win XP Pro with Office 2000.

But -- in other news -- MetaTexis magically wo
... See more
Hi,
I'm here in the States, but my installation CD is presumably at home in Taiwan, and I had to install Trados to the new computer after the old one died rather thoroughly. I had a zip file with the "demo" version of 5.5 on it, so that's fine, but I cannot find the dongle driver. Can anyone with 5.5 mail me the dongle driver itself? I do have a legal USB dongle for the program (obviously). I'm running Win XP Pro with Office 2000.

But -- in other news -- MetaTexis magically works on the new system (well, kind of -- still some segmentation issues in Chinese to resolve). I believe the old computer had some digital form of leprosy.

(PLEASE PLEASE don't suggest I e-mail Trados "support"...)

[Edited at 2003-08-16 03:00]
Collapse

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all! Aug 16, 2003

Because our e-mail is still a little strange here (with the blackout, I think my server got hit, although I'm not quite certain where it IS!), I'll post here and hope no one feels slighted -- thanks to everyone who e-mailed me to suggest ways to get the dongle driver or to offer to send it, or even uploaded the darn thing to their own Web sites for me to grab. I had no idea it was so big!! I'll start going down the list and see if I can't get it going today.

Thanks again everyone --
... See more
Because our e-mail is still a little strange here (with the blackout, I think my server got hit, although I'm not quite certain where it IS!), I'll post here and hope no one feels slighted -- thanks to everyone who e-mailed me to suggest ways to get the dongle driver or to offer to send it, or even uploaded the darn thing to their own Web sites for me to grab. I had no idea it was so big!! I'll start going down the list and see if I can't get it going today.

Thanks again everyone -- much better, more practical help than Trados "customer service" ;-( !! (Sorry, guys at Trados, I'm sure you're a nice bunch but them's the facts.)

Terry
Collapse

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For others who may find themselves in this situation... Aug 16, 2003

The dongle driver that did the trick for me was at http://www.rainbow.com/support/Display_Results.asp?DocId=1777

just in case anyone else gets into this situation.

This was pointed out by a kind reader of this thread (I won't use the name for privacy issues). It may or may not be the version or release that suits another installation, but s/he checke
... See more
The dongle driver that did the trick for me was at http://www.rainbow.com/support/Display_Results.asp?DocId=1777

just in case anyone else gets into this situation.

This was pointed out by a kind reader of this thread (I won't use the name for privacy issues). It may or may not be the version or release that suits another installation, but s/he checked it against his/her own installation and it matched, and it works with my dongle under XP.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:35
English to German
+ ...
Trados KB has it all... Aug 16, 2003

Hi Terry,
Thanks again everyone -- much better, more practical help than Trados "customer service" ;-( !! (Sorry, guys at Trados, I'm sure you're a nice bunch but them's the facts.)

In fact, this issue doesn't even require contacting Trados Support (although I must say I'm very happy with their response times and suggestions) - all you need to do is to go to the Trados website, enter "dongle driver" into the Knowledge Base search form, and that's what you get:
support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=766

Simple, really...

Best regards, Ralf

PS (Sorry for not posting this earlier, but I was offline for most of the last three days.)

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, I searched Aug 16, 2003

You have to go to precisely the right page to get the results. The first thing I did was visit the Trados web site in an attempt to find the driver. I'm not too bad at Internet searching, but I couldn't find the information I needed on their site. To me the most logical place to look was "downloads", and when I saw the endless "user name and password" garbage I just quit and tried to think of a better way. Every time I need to download something from Trados it's a nightmare and a wait of several... See more
You have to go to precisely the right page to get the results. The first thing I did was visit the Trados web site in an attempt to find the driver. I'm not too bad at Internet searching, but I couldn't find the information I needed on their site. To me the most logical place to look was "downloads", and when I saw the endless "user name and password" garbage I just quit and tried to think of a better way. Every time I need to download something from Trados it's a nightmare and a wait of several days to a week to get the password to do so -- all this for software that is so thoroughly copy- and dongle-protected that it's hard to imagine who could benefit from downloading it in the demo form if they did not have a license.

I don't mind paying for a product, but I do want to be able to use the product freely after I have shelled out that kind of money, and I don't ever feel Trados has helped me much. (When I purchased the system, they had a rep in Taiwan; now we are directed to Beijing -- oh so easy given current political realities! Wake up, guys!!)

[Edited at 2003-08-16 16:25]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone have Dongle Driver for TW Freelance 5.5?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »