Davide Grillo
Davide Grillo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:43
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 16, 2012

Dear all,
sorry if the request could be strange or impossible to obtain.
In this last weeks I am "studying" the features of numbers of CAT Tools that give the possibility to handle Trados Docs. The fact is that I do not own Trados and I would like to test the possibilities of this Tools.
I would really appreciate if anybody could send me a sample of a .TTX Trados file, so that I can see if I am able to manage it.

Many thanks to everybody!

Davide Grillo

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get the demo version Jan 17, 2012

There is a demo version of Trados. You need trados for testing in any case, otherwise you cannot be sure if your files are still compatible after processing in other tools.

Davide Grillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can I test with the demo version? Jan 17, 2012

Hi Heinrich,
thank you very much for your response.
Actually you are right, I was only thinking at the first part of the process..:-)
But I already searched for a trial Version of Trados and I found nothing, could you tell me where can I find it?
This demo version, if available, is enough to do the test?

Thanks again,
Davide

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
At the moment, there is no such thing like Trados demo Jan 17, 2012

Dear Davide,

For some reasons, SDL, the developer of Trados does not give you the possibility to test its products before purchase. This is quite an interesting policy, since you can get a demo version for all other CAT tools.

If I were you, I would try to find a colleague who has got a valid license for Trados 2007 and I would ask him/her to send me a copy of the software. License is not needed. If you just want to prepare .ttx files for testing, demo mode is really s
... See more
Dear Davide,

For some reasons, SDL, the developer of Trados does not give you the possibility to test its products before purchase. This is quite an interesting policy, since you can get a demo version for all other CAT tools.

If I were you, I would try to find a colleague who has got a valid license for Trados 2007 and I would ask him/her to send me a copy of the software. License is not needed. If you just want to prepare .ttx files for testing, demo mode is really sufficient.

As Heinricht told you, you definitely need to have a Trados (any version) to compare the results of your tests. On the other hand, you definitely need a Trados 2007 to prepare your .ttx file before testing.

How to prepare your .ttx files.

If you have got the software and the .ttx file, open 2007 Trados Translators' Workbench, create an empty translation memory with the same language pair as your file has, go to Tools/Translate, check Segment Unknown Sentences box and pretranslate your test file. Without this process your test file will not open properly, no matter which other CAT tool you use.

If you need further help, please feel free to contact me in private.

Cheers,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2012-01-17 13:25 GMT]
Collapse

Davide Grillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try to get a Demo Version Jan 17, 2012

Hi Gyula,
thank you so much for your helpfulness and for the accurate response.
I will try to find a Demo Version this way.
Actually it is clear that is the only way.

Kindest regards,
Davide

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for a sample .TTX file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »