Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:44
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 25, 2006

Hi all,

One new client is asking us to translate their database. We've been specifically instructed to use a software called DB Commander 2000 PRO.

AFAIK, this is not a CAT tool, but more of a database editor, when I can navigate in cells and change the content. Read more at:
http://www.dbcommander.com/

Is there any particular advantage to use DBC rather than a pro
... See more
Hi all,

One new client is asking us to translate their database. We've been specifically instructed to use a software called DB Commander 2000 PRO.

AFAIK, this is not a CAT tool, but more of a database editor, when I can navigate in cells and change the content. Read more at:
http://www.dbcommander.com/

Is there any particular advantage to use DBC rather than a proper CAT tool?
Or is there any other CAT tool more suitable to deal with this kind of database files?
Experiences, opinions...?

Thanks in advance,

Jan
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Using DB Commander as a CAT tool? Jul 25, 2006

Is there any particular advantage to use DBC rather than a proper CAT tool?

I don't think so. You could use DBC to export the database into a text file, translate in a CAT tool and import back to DBC.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
DB commander (yet another commander...) Jul 25, 2006

just gets you to the contents of the fields. That's where the translation - or localization starts -.

I'd think of exporting it all in XML format, so you can get it back in when it's translated. And if it's the usual plain vanilla stuff, then Text file should do, as Hynek has suggested.

Regards

vito

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any risk of lost links? Jul 26, 2006

Thanks for the reply, Vito and Hynek.

DBC can dump the entire content of the database into TXT or XML files, right? Do you have any personal experience of this?

Now the client is paranoid that the links between the Paradox files will be lost/corrupted. XML would be the safest bet to make sure it won't happen?

I guess trial'n error would be the way to find out...

/Jan

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Any risk of lost links? Jul 27, 2006

DBC can dump the entire content of the database into TXT or XML files, right? Do you have any personal experience of this?

No, I don't. I just read it in the list of features: "Import/Export from/to text file."

Now the client is paranoid that the links between the Paradox files will be lost/corrupted. XML would be the safest bet to make sure it won't happen?

I believe the export format doesn't matter, as long as you import the translated data into the tables correctly. You will not change the database structure, you will only translate its content. It's just important to translate the key fields consistently, because they are used to maintain the relationships (for example, a product name used in one table has to be exactly the same as the same product's name in another table that is linked to the first one).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using DB Commander as a CAT tool?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »