John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:33
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2006

Hello,

I know there have been seperate reviews of both CAT tools (Wordfast and MetaTexis) but I want to know if you feel there are substantial differences or not. I would also like to know which you prefer and why. Finally, if there are any Arabic language translators that use any one of these tools, could you please tell if you are making a lot of progress with them?

Thankyou,

John

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:33
English to German
+ ...
WF vs MT Sep 20, 2006

I used to have both applications on my computer, but removed MetaTexis a long time ago. Therefore I can't tell you if the problems I encountered are still there.

Wordfast is IMHO very easy to install and to remove, and does not cause any trouble with Word (at least, this has been the case on my systems so far; I know that some people have reported problems with WF, but none of them ever occured on my PCs).
The problem with MetaTexis was that it required a certain service pack
... See more
I used to have both applications on my computer, but removed MetaTexis a long time ago. Therefore I can't tell you if the problems I encountered are still there.

Wordfast is IMHO very easy to install and to remove, and does not cause any trouble with Word (at least, this has been the case on my systems so far; I know that some people have reported problems with WF, but none of them ever occured on my PCs).
The problem with MetaTexis was that it required a certain service package for my office installation to make it run. It also uses a database to store translation units, and therefore adds a db in the background. Removing these altogether caused some trouble, and I had to repair my Office installation back then.

One thing I don't particularly like about MetaTexis is the project wizard that you had to use in order to create a new project. I prefer the way WF works, i.e. just open your Word file, create a TM and start translating.

As you can see this is all purely subjective. You will probably encounter lot of MT users who prefer MT and don't like WF. In the end, you should decide for yourself. Both applications can be downloaded for free to test them. WF has all featuers enabled as long as your TM is below 500 TU or 2 MB (not sure about the figures; you should check on the website). MT used to have all features enabled for a certain period of time (I think it was more than 30 days). I suggest you try them out to see which one you like best.

Unfortunately I can't give you any information on how any of these behave with Arabic languages. Since both work from within Word, I believe that they will support Arabic characters as long as your Word installation does. In WF, you will most probably have to create a Unicode TM before populating it, in order to re-use your TMs in future.

HTH.

Sonja
Collapse

John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:33
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Sonja ... Sep 20, 2006

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Unfortunately I can't give you any information on how any of these behave with Arabic languages. Since both work from within Word, I believe that they will support Arabic characters as long as your Word installation does. In WF, you will most probably have to create a Unicode TM before populating it, in order to re-use your TMs in future.

HTH.

Sonja

And thanks for your reply. MetaTexis gives a trial period of 60 days. I had a problem with Wordfast and had to uninstall it. But it was a bug that they told me they had fixed. As far as the people in both companies, they were excellent in answering my questions. But my biggest problem was that I had no reason to use them and so I wasn´t really motivated. But now I want to use the localization project as an excuse to start using one of these two.

Thanks again,

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast vs MetaTexis

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »