Thread poster: Vanina Ricciardelli
Vanina Ricciardelli
Vanina Ricciardelli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 16, 2002

I used to have Windows 98. Now I have a new CPU running Windows XP and I have problems with my keyboard, some keys are in the wrong place. And when I type in Intener Explorer keys don\'t match at all, instead of inverted commas I get the \"at\" sign (@), just to give you an example. I\'ve tried changing the configuration (spanish/English) but it didn\'t work. What can I do?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to take a look on the layout of your keyboard Oct 16, 2002

Go to keyboard setting in your system settings (I do not know the exact name, but you´ll find there all other settings of your system) or right click on the languages symbol in the task bar and choose setting/preferencies. Then you should find something related to languages. Then check your favourite keyboard and look on its layout. Surely you have not the same layout as you had in Windows 98, for example you have had set Spanish als layout for Spanish keybord, but in Windows XP it might be Spa... See more
Go to keyboard setting in your system settings (I do not know the exact name, but you´ll find there all other settings of your system) or right click on the languages symbol in the task bar and choose setting/preferencies. Then you should find something related to languages. Then check your favourite keyboard and look on its layout. Surely you have not the same layout as you had in Windows 98, for example you have had set Spanish als layout for Spanish keybord, but in Windows XP it might be Spanish keyboard with US american layout. Then the letters \"z\" and \"y\" are changed and a lot of other character are on the \"wrong\" (so unusall) places.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:50
French to English
CPU or computer Oct 17, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-16 16:55, vanir wrote:

I used to have Windows 98. Now I have a new CPU running Windows XP and I have problems with my keyboard... snip

People sometimes confuse *CPU* and *computer*. If only the CPU and operating system were changed, have all the appropriate changes been made in your computer\'s setup (BIOS)? Depending on the age of your system board, there may be a setting fo... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-16 16:55, vanir wrote:

I used to have Windows 98. Now I have a new CPU running Windows XP and I have problems with my keyboard... snip

People sometimes confuse *CPU* and *computer*. If only the CPU and operating system were changed, have all the appropriate changes been made in your computer\'s setup (BIOS)? Depending on the age of your system board, there may be a setting for the PS/2 keyboard connection that should be changed.

To clarify, the CPU sits on the system board in your computer.

If you actually changed to a new computer, that is running Windows XP, I would imagine that all the appropriate settings are selected by default, in which case you do not need to enter setup.

FWIW,

Karin Adamczyk ▲ Collapse

Vanina Ricciardelli
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only the CPU and OS have been changed... Oct 17, 2002

I think you are right. How can I change the setup?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change to a new operating system Oct 17, 2002

Quote:

If you actually changed to a new computer, that is running Windows XP, I would imagine that all the appropriate settings are selected by default, in which case you do not need to enter setup.

Unquote

I\'m sorry, but this is not quite through. Even if all settings are done appropriate for the operating system to run, there are some language specific settings, which are not automatically done. For example, installing Windows 98
... See more
Quote:

Unquote

I\'m sorry, but this is not quite through. Even if all settings are done appropriate for the operating system to run, there are some language specific settings, which are not automatically done. For example, installing Windows 98 does not include support for Middle European languages unless it is set manually during the setup.

Setting a keyboard for a particular language in Windows 2000/XP needs to select a proper layout for this keyboard. For example, you can get Polish programmer (which has \"z\" and \"y\" as on an american keyboard) or Polish 214, where \"z\" and \"y\" are on the same places as in a polish typewritter. Those settings affects a lot of keys, so I can imagine it will make a lot of trouble to get used to it.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Vanina Ricciardelli
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
language settings Oct 17, 2002

I\'ve tried changing the language settings but it doesn\'t work. The keyboard provided with the CPU (I bought a CPU with a mouse and a keyboard) is working properly but not the keyboard I had before (which is much better). I\'ll see what I can do. Otherwise, I\'ll have to settle for the new keyboard...

Thanks anyway

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Canada
French to English
My reply was in addition to yours Oct 17, 2002

My message was meant as additional help. I had read your message too.

Take care,

Karin

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Canada
French to English
Check documentation Oct 17, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-17 16:29, vanir wrote:

You will need to check the documentation supplied with your computer. Setup is pretty similar from one system to the next, but you really should know what you are doing before you try this. You may make changes that could result in your computer not starting or not running properly.

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-17 16:29, vanir wrote:

You will need to check the documentation supplied with your computer. Setup is pretty similar from one system to the next, but you really should know what you are doing before you try this. You may make changes that could result in your computer not starting or not running properly.

The safest thing to do is not to change anything except the element that is specifically causing a problem.

Your documentation should tell you what the default setting is and what options are available.

HTH,

Karin ▲ Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Canada
French to English
Confusion clear now Oct 17, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-17 17:08, vanir wrote:

I\'ve tried changing the language settings but it doesn\'t work. The keyboard provided with the CPU (I bought a CPU with a mouse and a keyboard) is working properly but not the keyboard I had before (which is much better). I\'ll see what I can do. Otherwise, I\'ll have to settle for the new keyboard...

Thanks anyway

Now I\'m sure you bought a ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-17 17:08, vanir wrote:

Thanks anyway

Now I\'m sure you bought a computer, not a CPU because I am pretty sure you would not buy a new keyboard unless there was something wrong with the old one. Computers are usually sold *with* a keyboard and mouse.

A CPU is a chip about 2\"x2\" and sits on the system board. CPU is short for central processing unit. They are manufactured by Intel, AMD and others.

The computer is the box that contains the system board, CPU, cards, memory, etc.

Given that you bought a computer with a keyboard and mouse, the computer (or system) was surely configured to work with the keyboard and you should not enter setup to make changes.

You need to make the changes in Windows (regional settings, keyboard, language settings).

HTH,

Karin ▲ Collapse

Vanina Ricciardelli
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see what you mean... Oct 17, 2002

I\'ve always thought that the CPU was the whole \"box\" as you call it.

Thanks,

Vanina

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Canada
French to English
Confusion is common Oct 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-17 19:44, vanir wrote:

Thanks,

Vanina

Many people do think the CPU is the whole box. I have come across this many times and that\'s why I brought it up and described the CPU.

It is important to use the right term when you ask for help because it can make a big di... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-17 19:44, vanir wrote:

Thanks,

Vanina

Many people do think the CPU is the whole box. I have come across this many times and that\'s why I brought it up and described the CPU.

It is important to use the right term when you ask for help because it can make a big difference to those who are looking for answers to your problem (especially if you contact manufacturers for help).

Take care,

Karin ▲ Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Canada
French to English
Regional and Language Options in Win XP Oct 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-16 18:34, JCzopik wrote:

Go to keyboard setting in your system settings (I do not know the exact name, but you´ll find there all other settings of your system) ... snip

I am also running Windows XP and just checked -- click Start, Settings, Control Panel and Regional and Language Options. Then select Languages, Details.

HTH,

Karin

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Problems with keyboard in XP Oct 18, 2002

Vanina, I\'m wondering if you were able to resolve your keyboard problem, and if so, how you finally did it. I have two friends who have xp and have never been able to program their keyboards to a foreign language, even though they followed all the steps correctly.

Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with my keyboard in Windows XP

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »