How to use Japanese with Illustrator?
Thread poster: Ben Dooley
Ben Dooley
Ben Dooley
Local time: 05:39
Japanese to English
Oct 3, 2006

I'm trying to create some graphics for a website, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience using Illustrator to create Japanese text? I'm trying to figure it out, but no success.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks very much in advance for your time.

Cheers,
Ben

Brandon Wood
Brandon Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:39
Japanese to English
+ ...
Font/Version problem? Nov 26, 2006

Hi Ben. I personally don't have any experience working with Illustrator but I have a friend here in Japan that's in the DTP business and he works with Illustrator every day. I know personally that with Photoshop and the like that you can just use the IME that comes with Windows to switch between languages and type in Japanese, English, Korean, or any other language you like that the IME supports. However, I am not sure about Illustrator. One would think that you should be able to input Japanese ... See more
Hi Ben. I personally don't have any experience working with Illustrator but I have a friend here in Japan that's in the DTP business and he works with Illustrator every day. I know personally that with Photoshop and the like that you can just use the IME that comes with Windows to switch between languages and type in Japanese, English, Korean, or any other language you like that the IME supports. However, I am not sure about Illustrator. One would think that you should be able to input Japanese in the same way you would type Japanese anywhere else, but according to my friend at the company he works at they have computers with both the Japanese and English versions of Illustrator installed for when they have to work with documents from abroad, etc. However, to me this totally does not make sense because I know in the Japanese version of Illustrator you can type in English just fine (I've seen my friend do it), so I have no idea why they would have both versions installed, especially since everyone that works at that company is Japanese. So, I've rambled on a really long time to come to the conclusion that you SHOULD be able to use the Windows IME to input Japanese just like you would any other language, but if that's not working I can't give you any other help unless you can tell me some more details of what's going wrong, or what's happening when you're trying to type Japanese in Illustrator. The problem could be the font you are using, as Japanese will only display if you are using a Japanese font (I believe Mincho is the name of one). Check the font you're using and if you don't have any, you should be able to download some off the net. If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas. Hopefully that'll fix your problem though.

-Brandon
Collapse

mnis1 (X)
mnis1 (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:39
English to Japanese
with Mac, there is no problem Dec 21, 2006

[quote]Ben Dooley wrote:

I'm trying to create some graphics for a website, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience using Illustrator to create Japanese text? I'm trying to figure it out, but no success.

Ben:

I do a lot of graphic works with Japanese text by using Illustrator CS (English version) for Mac OSX.
I don't know about Windows, but with Mac, there is no problem.
Illustrator CS for Mac OSX comes with tons of international fonts.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use Japanese with Illustrator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »