Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:37
French to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2008

Maybe it's a bit late now to ask my question, but I've been patiently waiting for some news all year. Has Proz decided not to have an international conference this year?

Maybe I missed the announcement?
Thanks!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not necessarilly Jul 8, 2008

It depends - as always - on volunteers.
Most probably there will be a conference in Germany in winter this year and I do not see any reason to declare it to international, if there will be enough participants for that.

Best regards
Jerzy

Natalia Eklund
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time to organize our schedules Jul 8, 2008

Ah, so if I understand you right Jerzy, any regional conference can be 'upgraded' to an international conference if there are enough participants?

I thought there was one specifically organized International/World conference each year, and that the announcement would go out at the beginning of the year to give people coming from far away to juggle around their schedules/budgets/clients to come. Also, isn't the subject matter in a 'world' conference different than for the regional co
... See more
Ah, so if I understand you right Jerzy, any regional conference can be 'upgraded' to an international conference if there are enough participants?

I thought there was one specifically organized International/World conference each year, and that the announcement would go out at the beginning of the year to give people coming from far away to juggle around their schedules/budgets/clients to come. Also, isn't the subject matter in a 'world' conference different than for the regional conferences?

I had missed the last two world conferences in Buenos Aires and Budapest due to a lack of budget, so this year I had planned ahead to have enough to participate, but so far I have only seen announcements for regional conferences.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Both Argentina and Budapest has been organised by devoted members Jul 8, 2008

And so far no one was ready to follow their footsteps and organise another international conference.
Maybe there will be someone ready to do that next year, because as you noticed, such events should be well planned and announced far ahead.

I'm planing to organise a conference in November or December in Dortmund, but cannot make any annoucements for now. Due to huge workload I have not been able to find a venue for that. When I'm so far and there is enough interest, there is n
... See more
And so far no one was ready to follow their footsteps and organise another international conference.
Maybe there will be someone ready to do that next year, because as you noticed, such events should be well planned and announced far ahead.

I'm planing to organise a conference in November or December in Dortmund, but cannot make any annoucements for now. Due to huge workload I have not been able to find a venue for that. When I'm so far and there is enough interest, there is nothing against planing this event international.
Collapse

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:37
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Alternative Jul 8, 2008

Hi Natalie,

As there's no international conferences this year maybe you'll consider coming to Kharkov?

So far, there are translators from 8 countries intending to come. It's going to be focused, to-the-point, with most participants speaking English and a lot, speaking French; Mats and Ralf are among the speakers...

And you don't need any visa to come to Ukraine!...
See more
Hi Natalie,

As there's no international conferences this year maybe you'll consider coming to Kharkov?

So far, there are translators from 8 countries intending to come. It's going to be focused, to-the-point, with most participants speaking English and a lot, speaking French; Mats and Ralf are among the speakers...

And you don't need any visa to come to Ukraine!

Cheers,
Oleg

[Edited at 2008-07-08 16:58]
Collapse

Leonardo Fus (X)
Leonardo Fus (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Conferences Jul 8, 2008

Hi!

Yes, as Oleg said, we will not have an international conference this year.

We made a major effort and, thanks to the people working with us, we will have 10 conferences in 10 different countries, focusing on local needs and local communities. You can see the conferences scheduled here.

Local events are more focused in people “daily” needs. The idea for this year was to provide local commun
... See more
Hi!

Yes, as Oleg said, we will not have an international conference this year.

We made a major effort and, thanks to the people working with us, we will have 10 conferences in 10 different countries, focusing on local needs and local communities. You can see the conferences scheduled here.

Local events are more focused in people “daily” needs. The idea for this year was to provide local communities with events where they can find the information that they need to expand their business, always adding the international community view of ProZ.com.

For example, a translator from Latin America might have problems invoicing her customers in EU, and that is a topic of interest for him. That's why an accountant will explain all the details about it in the Uruguay Conference. The same topic might not be so interesting for an EU translator that does so everyday, so EU conferences are devoted to Quality Issues and Translation Specializations.

Our International event for this year was delayed, and will be held on March 2009 in China. Although in the first steps of its preparation, you can see the advances here.

We hope that in this way we can provide more tools and opportunities in line with our mission statement.

Regards,

Leonardo Fusero
ProZ.com
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:37
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How about this? Jul 9, 2008

http://www.tradulinguas.com/conf-med/index.htm

Proz.com is one of the sponsors.

Leonardo Fus (X)
Leonardo Fus (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Conference Jul 9, 2008

Hi Heinrich,

Right, as we found that topic very interesting for our community, we decided to sponsor the event and promote it.

Regards,

Leonardo Fusero
ProZ.com

Natalia Eklund
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
opportunities! Jul 9, 2008

Oleg Rudavin wrote:

Thanks for the invitation Oleg, I'll look into it! Your new program format sounds interesting, it's very tempting.

Leonardo, thanks for the link to the China conference in 2009. So, if I understand correctly, since it will be billed a World conference, the program will be further adapted in the future for everyone and not just translators for Chinese. The program, the way it looks now, seems more adapted to a regional conference, so I'll keep checking back to see how it develops.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz international conference 2008?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »