Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:32
English to French
+ ...
Aug 17, 2012

Hello everyone

On this site I see a number of powwows advertized in different places of the World.

Under powwow, my English dictionary tells me about a gathering of North American Indians feasting and having fun together. I suppose the translator powwows are not exclusive to North American native people, although they are probably welcome too.

In some of these gatherings advertized on Proz.com for next week only 5 or 10 people have registered. Now could som
... See more
Hello everyone

On this site I see a number of powwows advertized in different places of the World.

Under powwow, my English dictionary tells me about a gathering of North American Indians feasting and having fun together. I suppose the translator powwows are not exclusive to North American native people, although they are probably welcome too.

In some of these gatherings advertized on Proz.com for next week only 5 or 10 people have registered. Now could somebody please explain what these powwows are (conferences, general assemblies of associations, simple gatherings where people have a chance to meet and talk)?

Jean-Pierre
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:32
Italian to English
All in the FAQs Aug 17, 2012

Hi Jean-Pierre

It is all explained here:

http://www.proz.com/faq/proz_com_events/powwows.html#what_is_a_proz_com_powwow_

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:32
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 17, 2012

Thanks, I probably should have looked around before asking the question.

Jean-Pierre

[Edited at 2012-08-17 21:35 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
A glee club Aug 17, 2012

A schmooze fest for like-minded wordsmiths. You might even get lucky...

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Never too late to learn Aug 17, 2012

Thanks neilmac. Although 'fest' is the common word for party or feast in Swedish it's the first time I've noticed it used in my own language.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
A mini-conference Aug 17, 2012

We have one in Denmark each year that is quite special. Several powwows have been announced that did not seem to attract much attention, but Jeanette Brammer set the style in 2004 and again in 2005, and it has grown from there.

It functions like a mini-conference, and we have an agenda, a secretary and a chairperson to keep us in order. It is a nationwide event, and people come from Germany and the UK and sometimes even further away to join in and speak Danish.

Last yea
... See more
We have one in Denmark each year that is quite special. Several powwows have been announced that did not seem to attract much attention, but Jeanette Brammer set the style in 2004 and again in 2005, and it has grown from there.

It functions like a mini-conference, and we have an agenda, a secretary and a chairperson to keep us in order. It is a nationwide event, and people come from Germany and the UK and sometimes even further away to join in and speak Danish.

Last year we had a one-day course on proofreading the day before. This year's event is taking shape and will be held on September 15.

Although we discuss a lot of serious business, we enjoy it, and of course there is time for chat, and good food to keep us all going too. As a rule we finish up with supper at a good restaurant for those who do not have to hurry home.

There are 27 confirmed to attend and a couple more may come, so I hope it is not getting too big for the way we run it!

[Edited at 2012-08-17 22:14 GMT]
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feasting and having fun together Aug 18, 2012

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:

Hello everyone

Jean-Pierre

Dear Jean-Pierre

Every powwow is unique to its country! And it might reflect a national idiosyncracy. Somethimes with gather together to talk about serious things that affect your job, but mainly are social gatherings to meet people, feasting and having fun together. You will surprised to meet how many things have translators in common. The powwows I've attended in Venezuela, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile were a sort of informal gatherings at restaurants. A couple of them lasted a couple of days, and included different citiy tours, cultural activites, including horse whispering, horse riding and visits to a local Museum!

I love powwows!

Regards

Clarisa

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I suspect Aug 18, 2012

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:
On this site I see a number of powwows advertized in different places of the World. ... Under powwow, my English dictionary tells me about a gathering of North American Indians feasting and having fun together.

Your dictionary does not give you the modern meaning of the word, as it is used informally, by [I suspect] mostly American people, namely: any kind of social meeting between people who are not necessarily friends and who share a common interest. I get the impression that the word "powwow" in this meaning isn't used widely outside the US. The ProZ.com powwows have nothing to do with red Indians -- I wonder how much thought went into the choosing of the word, though.

Tis a pity the current forum archives don't go back further than 2001 -- I would have loved to read the first impressions people had about powwows.

In some of these gatherings advertized on Proz.com for next week only 5 or 10 people have registered.

I think a powwow will count as an official powwow even if only 2 people attend it. What is important is that the powwow should have been organised using or partly using the ProZ.com powwow system. This means inter alia that you can't exclude anyone from the powwow if he is a ProZ.com member and he wants to attend. The organiser has to follow the ProZ.com powwow rules (e.g. inform ProZ.com the names of all ProZ.com members who attended).

I even think that if you and some translator friends have a monthly meeting, you can call each of them a "ProZ.com powwow", as long as you treat it like a powwow (e.g. advertise it on ProZ.com and allow non-friends to attend).

Attendees and organisers of powwows used to be rewarded with points, but the points are now worthless.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:32
Italian to English
Not entirely Aug 18, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Attendees and organisers of powwows used to be rewarded with points, but the points are now worthless.

"Powwow organizers receive 2,000 BrowniZ. Attendees receive 200 browniz. "
http://www.proz.com/faq/proz_com_events/powwows.html#how_are_browniz_for_organizing_attending_powwows_awarded_

4,000 Browniz will save US$19 plus VAT on a year's full membership (and of course this is far from the only way of earning BrowniZ).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A handy add-on Aug 19, 2012

George Hopkins wrote:

Thanks neilmac. Although 'fest' is the common word for party or feast in Swedish it's the first time I've noticed it used in my own language.

Sometimes it is spelled as one word, as here:
http://www.wordnik.com/words/schmoozefest

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
auberge espagnole Aug 19, 2012

A powwow is what we call in French "auberge espagnole" : everyone comes with ist own idea of a powwow, there is not always an agenda or any formal organisation.

As Samuel says, the organiser says on Proz "let's meet on saturday XX and have a drink together at XX place" . That's all it takes.

You will meet translators / wannabe-translators / people interested in translation / students etc.

There are as many different kinds of powwows as organisers - just
... See more
A powwow is what we call in French "auberge espagnole" : everyone comes with ist own idea of a powwow, there is not always an agenda or any formal organisation.

As Samuel says, the organiser says on Proz "let's meet on saturday XX and have a drink together at XX place" . That's all it takes.

You will meet translators / wannabe-translators / people interested in translation / students etc.

There are as many different kinds of powwows as organisers - just join one and you will see !
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
PowWow Aug 19, 2012

There could be a verb "to powwow" meaning "to gather in a powwow".
French: je powwow, tu powwowes, il powwow, nous powwowions, vous powwowiez, ils powwowient
Italiano: io powwowisco, tu powwowisci, Lui/Lei powwowisce, noi powwowiamo, voi powwowiate, loro powwowiscono

Françoise Vogel
Françoise Vogel  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Salute !! Aug 20, 2012

Paul Dixon wrote:

There could be a verb "to powwow" meaning "to gather in a powwow".
French: je powwow, tu powwowes, il powwow, nous powwowions, vous powwowiez, ils powwowient
Italiano: io powwowisco, tu powwowisci, Lui/Lei powwowisce, noi powwowiamo, voi powwowiate, loro powwowiscono

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Definition of a powwow

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »