Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:17
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Please add a direct link to feedback on the home page Nov 30, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
I would invite all participants to the Oxford Conference to post here any general comment, and to use the Conference program page http://www.proz.com/conference/1 to post feedback on a specific session.
Let's move the proposals for the next events to a separate and dedicated thread. Thank you.

Hi Gianfranco,

Would it be possible to add a special box to the ProZ.com home page which contains a link (perhaps entitled "Please click here to provide feedback on Oxford conference sessions") that gets one directly to the conference page?

(For the record, I know that "Oxford 2004" can be found under "Community" but this is still one more click away.)

Best,
Steffen

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Training before sales talk Dec 2, 2004

Anne Lee wrote:

One suggestion I would make for future software training sessions would be to split them into 2 groups; one for people who don't yet have the software and want to learn about the basics and a separate group for current users.

Yes, I quite agree. Or else, attend to the selling points once the training is over.It would make more sense. And those who alreay have the sotware could then move on while those who have been hooked by the demo could learn more about the company.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
what I learned... and what I thought of the conference in general Dec 3, 2004

In addition to various things mentioned previously (google search tips, lack of money in poetry translation, etc), I learned some excellent marketing tips from the outsourcers' session - and was also reassured to find that a lot of their top tips were things I do anyway I'll be getting my personal presentation up on line (and buying a dedicated business phone) as soon as I have the time...

I also learned that I shoul
... See more
In addition to various things mentioned previously (google search tips, lack of money in poetry translation, etc), I learned some excellent marketing tips from the outsourcers' session - and was also reassured to find that a lot of their top tips were things I do anyway I'll be getting my personal presentation up on line (and buying a dedicated business phone) as soon as I have the time...

I also learned that I should be exploiting Proz to the full in order both to contribute and to gain more from it.

General opinion: thoroughly enjoyed the conference and met some great people. However, the organisation could have been considerably better. The over-running of coffee breaks in particular was irritating: allowing time for networking is fine, but coffee breaks running on for up to an hour each is excessive. In addition, the session times should be fixed well in advance for any future sessions. It was very annoying to find that the two sessions I most wanted to attend had suddenly been re-arranged for the same time slot!

Another point I wanted to make is that a moderator is essential for the focus groups. The lack of one in the Medical focus group meant that less than half the participants actually made a contribution (apart from the iniital self-introduction) and the discussion, even if interesting, was not particularly relevant to a considerable number of participants.

Still, even though I've devoted more space to complaining than to praising, I found the conference as a whole very interesting and stimulating, and I'm sure I'll benefit from what I've learned in the near future.

Here's looking forward to the next one!
Collapse

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
Local time: 15:17
English to Polish
+ ...
give before you receive Dec 3, 2004

Claudette Hepburn wrote:
Or else, attend to the selling points once the training is over.It would make more sense. And those who alreay have the sotware could then move on while those who have been hooked by the demo could learn more about the company.

It makes sense. Principle 4 of the principles I talked about.
Give out the info people want before making the pitch.
Much more likely to make a sale as well.

If anyone wants to feedback about my 7 Principles
marketing talk, the link is...

http://www.proz.com/conference/?session_id=2

...and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

[Edited at 2004-12-03 20:48]

Josephine Bacon
Josephine Bacon
Local time: 15:17
French to English
+ ...
Conference in Europe Feb 1, 2005

Yes, a conference in Europe would be great, say in Cracow, there are cheap flights to Cracow from the UK, so it is easy to get there and it is altogether less expensive than the UK, which must be especially expensive for people from Eastern Europe.

Josephine Bacon

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
. Feb 1, 2005

Josephine Bacon wrote:

...which must be especially expensive for people from Eastern Europe.

Josephine Bacon

Well, I don't know about other EE countries, but I think many prices (for food, etc.) are the same here as they are in Germany. Sometimes I wondered that many prices were lower in Germany than in Romania (e.g. milk). So I wouldn't worry about that too much. I think it should be more a matter of where cheap flights are available from as many countries as possible.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What I learned in Oxford

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »