Formatting Issues
Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 3, 2014

I am working with a document in Word 2010 that is poorly formatted. When faced with such a situation, I usually strip away all the formatting and fix everything from scratch. This time, however, I would like to keep certain aspects of the formatting. For example, many words in the document are italicized, and I would like to keep the italics. Is there any way I can remove all the problematic formatting without losing these italics?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:54
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Copy’n’paste May 4, 2014

Hi Amel, I usually achieve this by copying and pasting somewhere, then copying and pasting back into a new Word document. This *somewhere* would be a simpler word processor (eg WordPad that comes with Windows, or even a suitable website or forum form). You can also experiment with “merge formatting” option when pasting within Word itself, into a new document.

Hope that helps.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 22:54
English to German
Search&Replace back and forth May 4, 2014

It depends on the actual formatting.

A general solution for keeping a certain character style (not a paragraph style):

Use Search& Replace and replace all words in question by a tricky substitute.
E. g. replace all italic words by {word}.

Then delete all character styles and perform a back-replace afterwards, again via Search&Replace: Search all words that are surrounded with {}, replace these words by italic ones and delete the {}.

You
... See more
It depends on the actual formatting.

A general solution for keeping a certain character style (not a paragraph style):

Use Search& Replace and replace all words in question by a tricky substitute.
E. g. replace all italic words by {word}.

Then delete all character styles and perform a back-replace afterwards, again via Search&Replace: Search all words that are surrounded with {}, replace these words by italic ones and delete the {}.

You'll need Word's Advanced Search options to do that.
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 8, 2014

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm still working on it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting Issues

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »