Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When the number of your Kudoz points increased, have outsources began to contact you more often?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, definitely! Apr 28, 2022

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

I realized that in most (or perhaps all) ProZ's directories, the list of translators is shown in order according to their Kudoz points, so as I have a lot, my name is first in Peru and very high in other lists. Clients tend to choose translators with the highest rankings, not translator No. 1534 or so.

Muriel Vasconcellos

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:04
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Apr 28, 2022

Kudoz compose on of Proz's main features which led several clients to me; WWA is another one. Potential clients who need Mexican Spanish translation/proofreadings in their projects and search for a real Mexican translator have found me via those 2 features.

There are several South American translators out there who have been offering language services in Mexican Spanish but they fail to catch the real details of that variant, a behaviour that finally annoys clients because they fee
... See more
Kudoz compose on of Proz's main features which led several clients to me; WWA is another one. Potential clients who need Mexican Spanish translation/proofreadings in their projects and search for a real Mexican translator have found me via those 2 features.

There are several South American translators out there who have been offering language services in Mexican Spanish but they fail to catch the real details of that variant, a behaviour that finally annoys clients because they feel they were cheated by a marketing-like blabbery.
Collapse

mughwI

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 02:04
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Me too Apr 28, 2022

Ana Vozone wrote:

When I am contacted by potentially new clients, they usually mention that they found my profile on Proz, they never mention my Kudoz points...

I now no longer participate in answering Kudoz questions as there are never any questions in my main language pairs EN/IT/FR

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:04
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Not really Apr 28, 2022

The serious outsourcers and Kudoz are unrelated, at least in my pairs.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Apr 29, 2022

I do not know. It might have been a criteria when they look through ny profile, but I have never asked any of my customers.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
LIZ LI

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
IDK Apr 29, 2022

No idea, but I don't see it as a marketing tool.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have no idea Apr 30, 2022

This outcome might be clear in the case of a less common language combination, but for Spanish and Portuguese, I continue to get about the same number of inquiries.

JAN SNAUWAERT
JAN SNAUWAERT  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
ProZ is a fantastic resource Apr 30, 2022

Rita Utt wrote:

Lieven Malaise wrote:

I think Proz is a great way to stay in touch with the translation market and a good way to get some information about translation agencies (if you would be looking for any new ones), but if you want decent new clients, you will have to do the effort yourself to contact them and present yourself.

Yes and ProZ could be so much more, if they really tried to focus on high end outsourcers willing to pay more ...

ALL my actual clients come from ProZ. It's a fantastic resource and I am really grateful towards them. It's true that a majority of the translation companies that are member of ProZ are indeed (too) low paying clients, but even if it takes a while to get a decent client base from ProZ, it's definitely worth the wait. It allowed me to earn a good living, certainly above the average of translation professionals.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:04
English to Turkish
Is there any other way? Apr 30, 2022

Non-members can hate the Kudoz system to their heart's content, and I'm not a big fan of it either. But, is there any other way of moving up in the directory of your language pair, and thereby becoming more prominent to potential clients? If the number of forum posts did the trick, some of the forum regulars would be the busiest and richest translators, and they probably wouldn't be able to post here as often.
This question is obviously related to your ranking in the directory, so dislikin
... See more
Non-members can hate the Kudoz system to their heart's content, and I'm not a big fan of it either. But, is there any other way of moving up in the directory of your language pair, and thereby becoming more prominent to potential clients? If the number of forum posts did the trick, some of the forum regulars would be the busiest and richest translators, and they probably wouldn't be able to post here as often.
This question is obviously related to your ranking in the directory, so disliking the Kudoz doesn't necessarily explain your luck in getting the odd client every and then. Everybody gets lucky sometimes.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, definitely Apr 30, 2022

... and I belive the majority who voted "no" have simply not added enough points to their "score". I've heard all kinds of things like "ProZ doesn't work", always from people who try for a few weeks and give up. A difference of 30 points will not attract more clients. But a difference of 100 points certainly does. You must persist until you are in the first page of the searches to really see the results.

JAN SNAUWAERT

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When the number of your Kudoz points increased, have outsources began to contact you more often?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »