Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Poll: How often do you use DeepL or other machine translation tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 21:52
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Reality check. May 12, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:

It would be even better if your MTPE rate is equal to your regular translation rate, while your translation speed has more than doubled.

It would also be better if my clients not only pay me in money, but also offer me a car, a house and an all-in 30-day luxury cruise around the world per job I do for them.

A client that pays your translation rate for an MTPE job prepared and specifically offered by them is a client that gives away money for no reason. Let me know how many of such clients you can find.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
MTs May 12, 2022

Roy Williams wrote:

Just because those jobs exist, it doesn't obligate you to take them. DeepL is nothing more than another tool, which if used correctly can be helpful. And if you're going to do MTPE, it's best to charge by the hour at a rate worth your time. Anyone who actually cares about the content they put out will be willing to pay.

Anyone who actually cares about the content they put out will not use MTs to begin with. Let's be honest here, the only reason an agency would use MTs is to cut corners. Cutting corners and quality-oriented mindset don't belong in the same boardroom.

And seeing how some translators are glorifying MTs as the next best thing since sliced breads (special thanks to our colleagues for pushing this p̶r̶o̶p̶a̶g̶a̶n̶d̶a̶ b̶r̶a̶i̶n̶w̶a̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ professional recommendation, Justin and Lieven), in the not so distant future, all translation assignments are going to be MTPE jobs. Eventually, you'll be obligated to take them.

And before anyone's wondering, yes, I've tried MTs to aid my translation tasks. But no, I don't find MT outputs to be particularly helpful. I work with movie scripts and marketing texts. During the time I was using those jaw-dropping MTs, in most cases I needed to overhaul the entire thing because the results from MTs were so horrible.

[Edited at 2022-05-12 16:58 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Baran Keki
polishedwords
Alex Lichanow
Tom in London

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:52
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Maybe MTPE in your language pair works much better than mine May 12, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

It would be even better if your MTPE rate is equal to your regular translation rate, while your translation speed has more than doubled.

It would also be better if my clients not only pay me in money, but also offer me a car, a house and an all-in 30-day luxury cruise around the world per job I do for them.

A client that pays your translation rate for an MTPE job prepared and specifically offered by them is a client that gives away money for no reason. Let me know how many of such clients you can find.

Maybe MTPE in your language pair works much better than mine. If that is the case, some of your peer translators would probably give a 50% discount going forward to beat your 75% discount. Your client will save even more while getting the same quality, let alone giving you an all-in 30-day luxury cruise around the world.

Mr. Satan (X)
Christopher Schröder

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Even more than 50%. May 12, 2022

jyuan_us wrote:

Maybe MTPE in your language pair works much better than mine. If that is the case, some of your peer translators would probably give a 50% discount going forward to beat your 75% discount. Your client will save even more while getting the same quality, let alone giving you an all-in 30-day luxury cruise around the world.

I'm even aware of colleagues that give more than a 50% discount. Still I get MTPE jobs (to be clear: still by far a minority compared to manual translations). Make no mistake: MTPE is a skill as much as translation itself. You can perfectly screw it up and you have good MTP editors and bad ones. Just like translators.

Jorge Payan

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
Not really Translators May 13, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Roy Williams wrote:

Just because those jobs exist, it doesn't obligate you to take them. DeepL is nothing more than another tool, which if used correctly can be helpful. And if you're going to do MTPE, it's best to charge by the hour at a rate worth your time. Anyone who actually cares about the content they put out will be willing to pay.

Anyone who actually cares about the content they put out will not use MTs to begin with. Let's be honest here, the only reason an agency would use MTs is to cut corners. Cutting corners and quality-oriented mindset don't belong in the same boardroom.

And seeing how some translators are glorifying MTs as the next best thing since sliced breads (special thanks to our colleagues for pushing this p̶r̶o̶p̶a̶g̶a̶n̶d̶a̶ b̶r̶a̶i̶n̶w̶a̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ professional recommendation, Justin and Lieven), in the not so distant future, all translation assignments are going to be MTPE jobs. Eventually, you'll be obligated to take them.

And before anyone's wondering, yes, I've tried MTs to aid my translation tasks. But no, I don't find MT outputs to be particularly helpful. I work with movie scripts and marketing texts. During the time I was using those jaw-dropping MTs, in most cases I needed to overhaul the entire thing because the results from MTs were so horrible.

[Edited at 2022-05-12 16:58 GMT]

I don't have any stats but It doesn't seem that there are many translators who think that highly of MT or deepl in particular. The danger is from non-translators who use and blindly trust it like Star Trek's universal translator. I'm constantly reminding my German-speaking colleagues that Googl translate, DeepL and co. are not their friends.

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
... May 13, 2022

Roy Williams wrote:

I don't have any stats but It doesn't seem that there are many translators who think that highly of MT or deepl in particular. The danger is from non-translators who use and blindly trust it like Star Trek's universal translator.

Who happen to be the end-clients. Probably not a relevant nor an interesting fact to everyone, but I've come across several foreign sellers in our local online marketplaces. I tell you, their product descriptions were blatantly the results of an MT output. Granted, most of them were just selling the goods in bulk without really knowing what they were selling.

[Edited at 2022-05-13 07:54 GMT]

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Amazon May 16, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Who happen to be the end-clients. Probably not a relevant nor an interesting fact to everyone, but I've come across several foreign sellers in our local online marketplaces. I tell you, their product descriptions were blatantly the results of an MT output. Granted, most of them were just selling the goods in bulk without really knowing what they were selling.

[Edited at 2022-05-13 07:54 GMT]

Most Marketplace product listings on Amazon (and, to be fair, most product descriptions in general) are clearly MT'd from whatever language they were originally written in. Tends to be OK for descriptions that were originally English and MT'd into German, but becomes absolutely ridiculous with any more "exotic" source languages. Having worked on a couple Amazon jobs in the past - and thus having seen the pitiful rates they pay their translators - I am absolutely not surprised that everyone will just half-ass their Amazon "jobs".

[Edited at 2022-05-16 10:28 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you use DeepL or other machine translation tools?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »