Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 00:30
Lid 2008
Italiaans naar Engels
Yes but Aug 5, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

"My average output in words per hour at the moment is".....

I have no idea. Who cares?

Anyone who might be wondering whether their output is reasonable or not, whether agencies should expect you to translate the text within that time or not, slow beginners who are wondering whether there's any chance of earning more than minimum wage one day...

Yes, but PER HOUR??? I know what my average is per day. Surely that's enough?

Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Lid 2011
Zweeds naar Engels
+ ...
Solution Aug 5, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
Yes, but PER HOUR??? I know what my average is per day. Surely that's enough?

If you take your average per day and divide it by the average number of hours you work per day, this will give you your average per hour.

There are some good YouTube channels for learning advanced maths like this.

Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Lieven Malaise
Kay Denney
Simon Turner
Peter Dahm Robertson

A meaningless figure Aug 7, 2023

I keep (rough) track of my productivity in terms of words translated and words paid (two very different things). What matters, though, is productivity per client, not the overall average, as I have a job for one client with 71,000 paid repetitions, which skews the overall average, pushing it up to a meaningless figure. Far too low for this client, far too high for the others.

Words per hour are of little importance: 120 words per hour for an advertising job that pays 50 is better th
... See more
I keep (rough) track of my productivity in terms of words translated and words paid (two very different things). What matters, though, is productivity per client, not the overall average, as I have a job for one client with 71,000 paid repetitions, which skews the overall average, pushing it up to a meaningless figure. Far too low for this client, far too high for the others.

Words per hour are of little importance: 120 words per hour for an advertising job that pays 50 is better than 500 words per hour that pays 10. What matters is the pay per hour, not words.

Knowing my productivity in euros per hour for each client means I know which ones to drop when I have too much work, which ones to ask more from, and which ones I need to take best care of. Coupled with the other normal factors - such as which clients are more likely to pass my name to others, which ones are "prestige" clients in the eyes of others in the sector, which ones pay on time, which ones I enjoy working with, and so on - productivity in terms of cash per hour per client is an essential tool in any approach to the market. One of the most important, in my view.

Simon
Collapse

Minna Bäckman
Mette Krogh
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Rusland
Local time: 04:30
Lid 2018
Engels naar Russisch
Depends on the quality you provide Aug 7, 2023

I mostly do transcretion and video games (which is actually the same transcreation thing, but with more fun). And, well, 250 words is the limit - because I have to polish everything, have to recreate memes, puns, expressions, do some cultural adaptation, align with style and atmosphere, etc, etc...

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italië
Lid 2002
Engels naar Italiaans
+ ...
1-600 ish Aug 7, 2023

Somtimes I need one hour to translate 1 word, or can manage translate 1000 "new" words, depending on many different factors. But before I can put them out, I'll need to review them, so I think "right now" my range is 1-600.

Jacqueline Skewes
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Lid 2011
Zweeds naar Engels
+ ...
What is so hard about averages? Aug 8, 2023

Every time we are polled about average output or average rate or average anything, up pop a load of people saying it’s meaningless because their output or rate or whatever varies and/or they have no idea. Which is nonsense.

The whole point of an average is that it evens out variation. And the more data, the more translators, included in the average, the more meaningful it becomes.

And all of us without exception know how many words we can get done in a day on average.
... See more
Every time we are polled about average output or average rate or average anything, up pop a load of people saying it’s meaningless because their output or rate or whatever varies and/or they have no idea. Which is nonsense.

The whole point of an average is that it evens out variation. And the more data, the more translators, included in the average, the more meaningful it becomes.

And all of us without exception know how many words we can get done in a day on average. Otherwise we couldn’t plan or budget. We’d miss deadlines all over the show.

Pay per hour isn’t really any more important than words per hour, because the vast majority of us charge a word rate, so the two are more or less interchangeable.

I find these polls interesting because they give me a clear sense of superiority. My smug take on the results is that most translators must be slapdash, churning out millions of words of unimaginative and poorly proofed prose year after year. Of course, another possible interpretation is that I’m just plain slow and I’m wasting my time trying to produce a polished end-product when I really don’t need to. If so, AI really is about to put all of us out of business.

Final confession: I didn’t really know how much I get done per hour. But by using the complex formula I shared with Tom, I managed to convert my gut instinct for output per day into an hourly figure. As I work short days, it turns out I work a lot faster than I thought.

Maybe I’m “one of them” after all.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Peter Dahm Robertson

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My average output in words per hour at the moment is

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »