Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Local time: 05:30
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Same story Dec 20, 2011

I received exactly the same mails today!

Flo_Dbt
Flo_Dbt
France
English to French
+ ...
Victim of the scam Dec 13, 2013

Hi, I didn't know about this scam before it happened to me and my dad told me it was indeed a scam. The thing is I did endorse the checks and I'm scared now that I'll have problems... What can I do ?

Please help me it was my first translation and I'm a bit scared on how to act without having any problem with the police...

Bureau Babel - Bérengère Brulebois
Bureau Babel - Bérengère Brulebois
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advice Dec 15, 2013

Hi,
the only thing I can advise is that you go to the bank and tell that you didn't know about it and bring back the money. To the police you can tell the same and bring them the checks so that they can try to find the scammer...also print the emails and the origin text.
I don't think that you will have troubles if you are being honest!
Good luck
Bérengère

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Translator scam alert center Dec 16, 2013

Hi friends,
the overpayment scam is very common, you can learn about this and other scams at our Translator scam alert center. ProZ.com members can also subscribe to the scam alert messages.
Regards,
Enrique

Jaila Sotgiu
Jaila Sotgiu
France
French to English
Call your bank Dec 16, 2013

I did not cash the checks but here's what I'd do. Just leave the money in your account if it has been credited. The bank will debit it anyway. That's how this scam works. The only way you could get into trouble is if you did use the money. Call your bank and let them know what to expect. Remember it's the bank's job to check for fraud, not yours!

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
I disagree Dec 16, 2013

Jaila wrote:
The only way you could get into trouble is if you did use the money. Call your bank and let them know what to expect. Remember it's the bank's job to check for fraud, not yours!

I disagree. As a freelancer you are a one-person company and you should do your due diligence when managing work for a client. In particular you should have a reasonable certitude about the client's identity, including VERIFIED contact information.

The bank received a check and they accept it because it does not look as an obvious fraud and also because they assume you have done your homework to rule out an obvious fraud. They trust you, their client, you are responsible for checking your own client.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Traveller check overpayment scam

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »