Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
ドイツ
Local time: 20:19
2009に入会
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Jul 24, 2015

Within 2 - 4 seconds I've just received the same email twice. The sender is looking for a professional translator specializing in IT/Software. The word count is stated as "approximately" 5.400 with the given delivery deadline of tomorrow, July 25th. So far, so good - aside from the fact that I don't specialize in IT/Software. Now comes the best part: the rate offered is USD 0.03.

The company name does
... See more
Within 2 - 4 seconds I've just received the same email twice. The sender is looking for a professional translator specializing in IT/Software. The word count is stated as "approximately" 5.400 with the given delivery deadline of tomorrow, July 25th. So far, so good - aside from the fact that I don't specialize in IT/Software. Now comes the best part: the rate offered is USD 0.03.

The company name does exist in Austria, yet the email's IP is from Mountain View, CA, USA. The person requesting the translation, Jelard, has a gmail account and has CC'd the email(s) to a certain "Love Rose", also a gmail address.

The question is: which professional translator would accept a quick turn-around job at a rate of USD 0.03? Are they looking for a professional or for a cheap translator.

Enjoy your weekend and stay safe.

Please note: the Austrian company has absolutely nothing to do with those scammers.

[Edited at 2015-07-24 12:41 GMT]
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
ドイツ
英語 から チェコ語
+ ...
Wow, so it's like a theft of Jul 24, 2015

identity of that Austrian company?
But with a Californian IP?? Really?? That's not so common, is it?
But actually, how were you able to find out the IP, if the address is gmail? They don't disclose it, do they?
Just curious...

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 14:19
2000に入会
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...

モデレーター
Mountain View is IP for all Gmail accounts Jul 24, 2015

You've hit the nail on the head: Gmail is always a problem when trying to trace IPs: all gmail accounts show Mountain View as the IP, no matter where the sender is located.

Maybe if you reply to both messages, you'll be paid twice the rate?

Thayenga
ドイツ
2009に入会
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gmail Jul 24, 2015

Thank you, Yolanda, for this information. I've abondoned my gmail account nearly 20 years ago, so I wouldn't know.

But I did contact the Austrian company, and nobody has ever heard of a Jelard nor a Love Rose. Whether these two people are real or not, they surely don't know the real industry standards, based on their job offer, and apparently never having heard of a surcharge for rush delieveries. I do check the message source upon receipt of any, well, let's say, not too profession
... See more
Thank you, Yolanda, for this information. I've abondoned my gmail account nearly 20 years ago, so I wouldn't know.

But I did contact the Austrian company, and nobody has ever heard of a Jelard nor a Love Rose. Whether these two people are real or not, they surely don't know the real industry standards, based on their job offer, and apparently never having heard of a surcharge for rush delieveries. I do check the message source upon receipt of any, well, let's say, not too professional offers. Usually the info there reveals a second IP address, that of the actual sender. But it didn't in this case.

Well, perhaps you're right, Yolanda about getting paid the double rate. Unfortunately (or in accordance with my procedures), I've already deleted both emails. Well, maybe next time.
Collapse

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
ブラジル
ドイツ語 から ポルトガル語
+ ...
Low rate Jul 25, 2015

This rate is so low that I suspect the e-mail is NOT from a scam.
The scammer usually wants to interest the translator.
But is there anything attractive about this offer?

João Roque Dias
João Roque Dias
ポルトガル
Local time: 19:19
英語 から ポルトガル語
Jelard Stahen / Love Rose Jul 26, 2015

They're just fake IDs created by the usual scammers.

In this URL http://www.translator-scammers.com/#n0 look for Jelard Stahen.

And, yes, all Gmail addresses trace back to the Gmail routers in Mountain View in California.

The same happens with Hotmail addresses.

Thayenga
ドイツ
2009に入会
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The names Jul 26, 2015

João Roque Dias wrote:

They're just fake IDs created by the usual scammers.

In this URL http://www.translator-scammers.com/#n0 look for Jelard Stahen.

And, yes, all Gmail addresses trace back to the Gmail routers in Mountain View in California.

The same happens with Hotmail addresses.

Thank you, João, for your confirmation.

I did check the names and, especially Love Rose, only found nothing except on your great site, which I have book-marked.

Thank you for all the great work you're doing on your invaluable site. It has saved me a couple of times already.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another scam (?)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »