Local time: 20:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2015

Hi,

I recently received an email from a translation agency based in Puerto Rico:

Good afternoon, sir:
>
> My name is xxxx, and I am the manager of xxxx, a small translation company located in Puerto
> Rico. You can find out
> more about us at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> We currently have a large legal project that we are working
> on and are looking to assign work to several translators new
> to us in the next
> few wee
... See more
Hi,

I recently received an email from a translation agency based in Puerto Rico:

Good afternoon, sir:
>
> My name is xxxx, and I am the manager of xxxx, a small translation company located in Puerto
> Rico. You can find out
> more about us at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> We currently have a large legal project that we are working
> on and are looking to assign work to several translators new
> to us in the next
> few weeks.
>
> I was wondering if you would, initially, be able to take on
> a roughly 2,000-word translation for delivery in 3 or 4
> days, after which,
> substantial work might be assigned.
>
> Our translators in the project are being paid 9 cents per
> word, and this is what we could offer.
>
> Please let me know at your earliest convenience if you would
> be able to take this on.
>
> Cordially,
>
> xxxxxxt

There is no record of this agenc at proz.com and the user been using a gmail account to send me the message. On the website the scant information states there are offices in puerto Rico and Cambridge, Mass with the head office being in Puerto Rico,, although when I checked out the IP address provided I was given a Cambridge location. Is this a scam?

There is Little other information to go on-no feedback about the agency anywhere.

[Edited at 2015-08-25 15:38 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested edition not made.
Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Profile in LinkedIn Jul 25, 2015

Hello, twakely.

The CEO of this business (whose résumé is in the webpage you provided), has got a profile in LinkedIn.

I don't know if this a non-scammer sign at all, but...

Have a good week-end.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:02
German to English
Contact them through their web site Jul 25, 2015

It's possible that the agency has a small base of regular translators who don't use Proz, so no Proz entries are not necessarily a danger sign.

From the looks of the web page, the company appears to be legitimate – scammers generally don't go to such lengths. Calling the toll-free number from Europe won't work, so you'll have to write to the address given in the web site.

Although a gmail address is frequently the sign of a scammer, sometimes problems with the agency'
... See more
It's possible that the agency has a small base of regular translators who don't use Proz, so no Proz entries are not necessarily a danger sign.

From the looks of the web page, the company appears to be legitimate – scammers generally don't go to such lengths. Calling the toll-free number from Europe won't work, so you'll have to write to the address given in the web site.

Although a gmail address is frequently the sign of a scammer, sometimes problems with the agency's ISP can require an alternate means to sending email.

On the other hand, someone may be impersonating a representative of the company. Using a little due diligence can avoid problems, but it may also result in a new customer.

Good luck with this.
Collapse

Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 25, 2015

Thanks eveyone. Glad to see I may be wrong about this agency. So, Kevin should I send a message to their wrbsite asking for confirmation that it wad them that sent me the email?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:02
German to English
Definitely initiate contact through the web site Jul 25, 2015

twakely wrote:

Thanks eveyone. Glad to see I may be wrong about this agency. So, Kevin should I send a message to their wrbsite asking for confirmation that it wad them that sent me the email?

In your email, mention that you were contacted via Gmail. If it was part of a scam, the agency in question should be informed that someone was misrepresenting them and should be happy that you let them know. It might even result in genuine collaboration.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's a perfectly respectable agency Aug 18, 2015

and doesn't deserve to be in the Scam forum

I think I need to let you know that I was also contacted by the same person but, for some reason, I trusted him and, anyway, it wasn't difficult to check out the website, address, phone number, etc.

It's turning out to be one of my best professional experiences I've ever had and I think myself lucky to have been approached by such a nice client.

I
... See more
and doesn't deserve to be in the Scam forum

I think I need to let you know that I was also contacted by the same person but, for some reason, I trusted him and, anyway, it wasn't difficult to check out the website, address, phone number, etc.

It's turning out to be one of my best professional experiences I've ever had and I think myself lucky to have been approached by such a nice client.

I have no complaints whatsoever.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »