Thread poster: kmtext
kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2012

I've been approached by a client who wants to embed a series of subtitled videos into their website.

They plan to have the videos available as mp4 and webm files.

My problem is that most of my work to date has been for broadcast or DVD, so I'm not really familiar with the correct formats to use for web captioning.

I'd like to know which subtitle formats are the most suitable and whether or not it's possible to have subtitles in different languages assocaite
... See more
I've been approached by a client who wants to embed a series of subtitled videos into their website.

They plan to have the videos available as mp4 and webm files.

My problem is that most of my work to date has been for broadcast or DVD, so I'm not really familiar with the correct formats to use for web captioning.

I'd like to know which subtitle formats are the most suitable and whether or not it's possible to have subtitles in different languages assocaited with one video file or whether I would need a separate video file for each language.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Player will determine Aug 21, 2012

They should consider whether they want to actually host the videos within their web site, or if they'll upload them to YouTube, Vimeo, and alikes, and have their web site call them from there.

The videos I have put on my web page on the second row had been hard-subtitled (burned to the image). They were significantly downgraded to preserve bandwidth. I'll be adding a cou
... See more
They should consider whether they want to actually host the videos within their web site, or if they'll upload them to YouTube, Vimeo, and alikes, and have their web site call them from there.

The videos I have put on my web page on the second row had been hard-subtitled (burned to the image). They were significantly downgraded to preserve bandwidth. I'll be adding a couple that my clients hosted on YouTube down below, at the end of that same page, later today. These were also hard-subbed.

I am not sure whether YouTube's subtitling feature in various languages is functional when the video is invoked from an external site. If it is, this would allow you to have several languages available. On the other hand, it seems that YouTube subtitling only allows single-liner subs.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Done! Aug 21, 2012

I have uploaded my site (same link as on previous message) with two videos from YouTube, though not at the end of the page, but right below the previously existing three.

To make it clear, on the second group (subtitled), the first row of three comprises three videos actually uploaded to my web site server host; the second line has two that are hosted on YouTube, I just provided the links, and used the same settings (could have changed them individually).

My site is bui
... See more
I have uploaded my site (same link as on previous message) with two videos from YouTube, though not at the end of the page, but right below the previously existing three.

To make it clear, on the second group (subtitled), the first row of three comprises three videos actually uploaded to my web site server host; the second line has two that are hosted on YouTube, I just provided the links, and used the same settings (could have changed them individually).

My site is built using WebSite X5, which has no real time subtitling feature. As the output looks about the same, it's a choice I have. Btw, the play controllers there are from this program, not YouTube's.

If they will be using YouTube, I suggest you check whether their play controller will work on your client's web site.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle formats for the Internet

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »