Spamalot
Austria
Local time: 23:27
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2022

Hello,
I apologize, because I have asked about this before many years ago and received an answer resolving the issue but I cannot find it anymore. Suddenly I have this problem again: I want to create a new project in a folder with many subfolders and it insists I create a separate folder for the Trados Project. It stopped asking me this a long time ago and now it suddenly does again. I think there used to be a box "add file name extension to project name" or similar but that seems to be su
... See more
Hello,
I apologize, because I have asked about this before many years ago and received an answer resolving the issue but I cannot find it anymore. Suddenly I have this problem again: I want to create a new project in a folder with many subfolders and it insists I create a separate folder for the Trados Project. It stopped asking me this a long time ago and now it suddenly does again. I think there used to be a box "add file name extension to project name" or similar but that seems to be suddenly replaced with "include subfolders" in the initial create project view where you add files. "Include subfolders" I thought belonged to the files view after the project was created.
This supposed change all of a sudden worries me because I had an issue in Windows (Win 11) with the "Create new folder" menu, which I only resolved recently.
Does anyone know what to do? Many thanks!
Spamalot
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Spam Apr 21, 2022

spamalot wrote:
I want to create a new project in a folder with many subfolders and it insists I create a separate folder for the Trados Project.

I can't remember in Trados 2019 or 2021 ever being able to create a Trados project directly in the root of a folder that already contains other files or folders. In these two versions at least, Trados has always created a new subfolder for the project.

In the new project dialog, check your "location path". Sometimes Trados forgets to add a subfolder, and then you end up getting that message about not being able to create a project in that folder.

[Edited at 2022-04-21 06:25 GMT]

Dan Lucas

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Tick "Autofill" Apr 21, 2022

spamalot wrote:
Suddenly I have this problem again: I want to create a new project in a folder with many subfolders and it insists I create a separate folder for the Trados Project. It stopped asking me this a long time ago and now it suddenly does again. I think there used to be a box "add file name extension to project name" or similar but that seems to be suddenly replaced with "include subfolders" in the initial create project view where you add files. "Include subfolders" I thought belonged to the files view after the project was created.

The folder needs to be empty - somehow strange, since any other CAT tool I am using, does not insist on this. What you are overlooking is the following:

Skjermbilde 2022-04-21 135821

In other words, tick the box Autofill at Location path. That should fix the problem for you.

The box "add file name extension to project name" does appear if you receive a Studio package from your client, but as this is a project you create, it will not appear.

Spamalot

Spamalot
Spamalot
Austria
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it Apr 21, 2022

Thanks Roy,
I believe this was the reason for my problem (and myself being paranoid for the unrelated Windows issue) -- I think I unchecked the box when I got tired being directed to that one place. And then didn't understand why the issue existed in Trados 2021. This because previous versions of Trados having had a further box for "include project name in folder" - which is no longer needed.
SO THANKS for your help, I have tried test project folders with this setting and it is fine
... See more
Thanks Roy,
I believe this was the reason for my problem (and myself being paranoid for the unrelated Windows issue) -- I think I unchecked the box when I got tired being directed to that one place. And then didn't understand why the issue existed in Trados 2021. This because previous versions of Trados having had a further box for "include project name in folder" - which is no longer needed.
SO THANKS for your help, I have tried test project folders with this setting and it is fine now. Very relieved.
Best, spamalot.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Project demands new folder to be created

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »